Eric Duncan

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is there a release date? Or is this Disney+

Don’t think it’s plus due to amount of content this fall especially because Disenchanted is Thanksgiving 2022.

My feelings for this movie could probably best be described as "very cautiously optimistic." When I saw the first teaser for Raya and the Last Dragon, I was really excited, because it looked like a movie that was decidedly outside Disney's wheelhouse. Having watched the actual movie, of course, I now know that wasn't the case.

I want to look forward to Strange World, since there's so much stuff in that teaser I like— the creature designs, the gorgeous animation, the way the characters look— but in the back of my mind I feel like the end result is going to be a lot more generic and boilerplate than what the teaser is promising. But maybe not.

This is a problem I've had with a lot of recent Disney Animation movies, and to a lesser extent some Pixar movies as well. They have beautifully, wildly imaginative settings, and they squander them with bog-standard plots. Raya and the Last Dragon (which, somewhat ominously, is by the same director as this movie) is by far the worst offender, but Zootopia, Moana, The Good Dinosaur, Onward, and even Encanto have this issue too.

Not all of them have this on the same level, of course, but if you've watched Disney for as long as I have it's definitely noticeable. It feels like Disney has a few "stock" movie plots it keeps shuffling and re-dealing, and it relies on visually spectacular settings to keep them looking new.

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Doesn't quite capture the attention Raya and Encanto did to me with their teasers.

Honestly, it's a really, really bad teaser.

I want to say its their weakest teaser since Frozen? It doesn't immediately grab me the same way their other teasers have, but I'm still looking forward to watching it? Just not overly hyped like I was for Big Hero 6 through Encanto.

I'll probably see this in theatres(?) unless this gets sent to Disney+ on Christmas again (honestly I think they should just move Black Panther up a week to November 4th and then put that on Disney+ for Christmas, then send this movie over to Disney+ in January - it'll be huge but definitely not as big as Encanto or Turning Red were).

Going straight to Disney+ in France: https://deadline.com/2022/06/disney-french-windows-strange-world-bypass-theatrical-disney-plus-1235040493/

Disney is taking a stance versus the recently revised French windowing system, opting to bypass theatrical on animated action adventure Strange World in the market and sending it directly to Disney Plus.

In a strongly-worded statement provided to Deadline, a studio spokesperson said: “Strange World will be available to all Disney+ subscribers in France, foregoing a French cinematic release. While we support French cinema — and have for decades — the new, cumbersome media chronology is anti-consumer, ignoring how behavior has evolved over the last several years and puts us at increased risk for piracy. We will continue to make decisions on a film-by-film basis and according to each market’s unique conditions.” 

Around the time of Turning Red's shift to Disney+, a lot of people were expecting Strange World to get a similar treatment as well. Looks like those predictions did come to pass, albeit only in France for now.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Going straight to Disney+ in France: https://deadline.com/2022/06/disney-french-windows-strange-world-bypass-theatrical-disney-plus-1235040493/

Around the time of Turning Red's shift to Disney+, a lot of people were expecting Strange World to get a similar treatment as well. Looks like those predictions did come to pass, albeit only in France for now.

Posted in the France international thread quoting myself and this has been in the works for 9 months+, when Disney refused to sign the new windowing deal that pretty much confirmed their intent they were just waiting for the right film to test this on.

MCU, Star Wars, Avatar 2 will almost certainly remain theatrical in France everything else from November onward will be questionable. Of course if Disney can come to an agreement on a shorter more favourable window this all may be mute but that seems unlikely to happen before this film is released if at all. 

• Like 2

As someone who was way more excited for Raya (and how I feel about the movie is no secret - "letdown" is putting it mildly) than Encanto from the teasers....I don't know how to feel about this yet lol how it will shake out for me? We'll see!

On 6/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, cannastop said:

why not?

He's not "above" super "commercial" movies (Hey, look at Prince of Persia or Ambulance), so part of me thinks there must be something slightly more creative to get his attention.

Or he just wanted a less taxing paycheck, who knows.

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Those French laws are really backwards. EU countries also need to do away with content quotas (they made sense when everyone thought streaming was going to pump out 5 new shows a week - now that's not the case. Streamers are about to start removing the American content that consumers signed up for).