Eric Burnett

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

A ~$71.5 million true Friday for Spidey continues to 'wow' me. The best except for the massive entity that was Endgame - still hard to wrap my head around this. The MCU is a remarkably powerful brand, particularly when combined with classic or established superheroes.

Best Opening True Fridays (i.e. Opening Friday sans Thursday Previews)

1. Avengers: Endgame (2019) — 97.5 million
  2. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) — 71.5 million
  3. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) — 67.3 million
  4. Jurassic World (2015) — 63.5 million
  5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 62.1 million
  6. The Avengers (2012) — 62.1 million
  7. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) — 59.7 million
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 56.8 million
  9. The Lion King (2019) — 54.9 million
  10. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 53.9 million
  11. Iron Man 3 (2013) — 53.3 million
  12. Incredibles 2 (2018) — 52.8 million
  13. Furious 7 (2015) — 51.6 million
  14. Black Panther (2018) — 50.7 million
  15. Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 50.5 million
  16. Spider-Man 3 (2007) — 49.8 million
  17. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) — 49.6 million
  18. The Dark Knight (2008) — 48.7 million
  19. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) — 47.6 million
  20. The Hunger Games (2012) — 47.5 million
  21. Beauty and the Beast (2017) — 47.5 million

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, iHeartJames said:

Wait so according to you they saw it opening weekend with a crowded theater but now they're worried about covid lol

Human beings aren’t logical, and honestly this kind of tracks. I did open night — figured I would take the chance cause it’s Marvel Thursdays and I **Love** Marvel Thursdays — but I am not going back until after Christmas. 

Same thing with Eternals. In normal times I would’ve seen that three/four times opening weekend, instead I only did three times over like a month. 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty wild that with holiday legs there's a legit possibility of this making a similar total to Endgame. Definitely the Force Awakens of comic book movies here.

It's comfortably going to be #2 MCU movie dom, over 800M is likely, over Endgame not impossible. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Yeah but this isn't his gut take but a data based take. And considering how Saturdays have been this year with families still a bit depressed, it's hardly inconceivable.

Yeah I trust Charlie's judgment, but I will hope Marvel Saturday shocks us again. 

3x

12 hours ago, Flopped said:

This is the first time I've spoken about her. Calm down. You're not getting paid by her. Are you? Wouldn't be shocked if her team were paying randos on forums to speak well of her.  

depositphotos_25041805-stock-photo-psych

And is this "Zendaya" in the room with us right now?

• Haha 14

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

This is going to blow past Far From Home’s total and that movie was coming out on the heels of Endgame. Shows how much of a draw the returning characters are 

They might have to throw Wolverine and the original bad-costume Howard The Duck into the new Doctor Strange.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

So this is a small sample size of course, but my niece and nephew (15 and 18 years old, one male one female) saw it together last night and told us, and this is a direct quote, "It's the best movie we've ever seen T-Dan." 

Pretty incredible coming from them.  They love Star Wars and the MCU and Potter and LOTR.  Never heard them praise a film like that before.

See I misread this as "best movie we've ever seen since T-Dan" and wondered what the hell T-Dan is, leading me to this experimental political biography from 1987

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246967

And thinking you have a unusual niece and newphew.

• Like 1

Well damn, finally a movie that all BOT can agree met or exceeded expectations during and pre-COVID. There’s never been a time where Far From Home’s performance would not be considered absolutely spectacular. Congrats to Sony and the MCU. Congrats to the fans who believed. I was not one who believed this was possible. Happy to eat crow and admit that I was wrong. My favorite Spider-Man movie is Spider Man 2 with Tobey McGuire.  Can’t wait to see this one with my son. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

This is going to blow past Far From Home’s total and that movie was coming out on the heels of Endgame. Shows how much of a draw the returning characters are 

Sony should be happy. It's their own characters/actors that gave Holland's movie an unprecedented boost, not Tony Stark or other non-Sony MCU character. 

• Like 2

going to see this before the shitshow begins here in Quebec.

New regulations come online Monday at 00:01, so I got a ticket. Leaving in 15 mins!

Can't fucking wait tbh

If I can still go Thursday well then I'll be seeing it again :qotd:

• Like 1