Eric S'ennui

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just finished Spider-man. It starts really well. Feels a lot more personal than CBMs today. Uncle Ben doing "times are changes" old man jokes but that's about it. The 2nd act of film seems so simple and 3rd act was a big bore. The worst part of film is the love story and that is what the film relies on a lot with its plot. Didn't like anyone in cast except Dafoe as Goblin. 

I thought the romance parts weren't too obnoxious in the first, the second was where they started to get on my nerves. But yeah the third act is definitely the weakest part of the movie, felt like something was off in the buildup.

One thing I didn't like is the scene where Goblin makes Peter choose who to save and then he ends up not having to choose at all.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

I thought the romance parts weren't too obnoxious in the first, the second was where they started to get on my nerves. But yeah the third act is definitely the weakest part of the movie, felt like something was off in the buildup.

Could have been executed a tad better. Also wanted more screen time with the best but all in all a great film and man it did what Ghostbusters Afterlife did but on a far grander scale. Spiderman 2 2004 is still the best ever film in the franchise though. Gave this a 9.3 

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

MJ is such Bella in Spiderman 2. Leads two guys on, dumps one, is about to marry another, dumps him at the altar, get the fuck out. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's probably already gotten to this point but studios are probably terrified of putting their movies anywhere around a Marvel or Disney film for this simple reason. They will lose their money and depending on how big the Disney/Marvel film is they may lose their screens immediately after the first weekend.

I think digital distribution has more or less killed the old spill-over effect. Theaters are no longer limited by the number of prints they receive, so could theoretically play one movie on every single screen to meet demand. Combine that with the widespread adoption of reserve seating and ticket preordering, and even the possibility of a surprise breakout creating spillover is greatly diminished.

Edited by Orestes

Glad to know that Charlie is still Charlie and Spidey didn't hoodwink him (I'd have been shocked if you really liked it.) Lol means I will probably really enjoy it then when I can finally see it. 

As for the OW Amazing and sets up well for a potential massive gross. The rest of the top 10 :( so sad and makes my heart hurt. 

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

Glad to know that Charlie is still Charlie and Spidey didn't hoodwink him (I'd have been shocked if you really liked it.) Lol means I will probably really enjoy it then when I can finally see it. 

As for the OW Amazing and sets up well for a potential massive gross. The rest of the top 10 :( so sad and makes my heart hurt. 

I think there is some confusion, I assumed Charlie was talking about the 2002 film.

Astonishing opening for Spider-Man. After such a long time of comparatively meager box office numbers, seeing an Avengers-level mega-opening is a most welcome sight. I do think Omicron potentially throws a wrench into speculating on its legs (will people who merely "would like to see it" rather than "must see it" come out for it?), but based on the film's crowd-pleasing nature, I won't be surprised if it holds up well and continues to put up eye-popping numbers through New Year's. Considering that we were trying to figure out whether $16.7 million was really a good start for Wonder Woman 1984 this time last year, it's awesome to have a true titan to track this holiday season.

The rest of the drops outside of Encanto are understandably yikes-worthy. Spider-Man clearly gobbled up all the attention and screen space. That said, that West Side Story drop is a huge bummer. Hopefully it can recover somewhat over the next couple weeks.

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Charlie is talking about the original Spider-Man. He really liked NWH as I recall.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

They just straight up didn't feel the need for a West Side Story remake. We honestly could have just been overstating the appeal of that one all along.

YESSSS!!! This!!!! This is FACTS!!!!

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think there is some confusion, I assumed Charlie was talking about the 2002 film.

8 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

Charlie is talking about the original Spider-Man. He really liked NWH as I recall.

😆🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ well then my error, I assumed of course that he was talking NWH.... what I get for not making sure before posting...

The romance angle of SM1 is awkward rewatching it now, back in the day it was just fine. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

They were charging $65 per month? 😲

Yeah and then the day after they increased the price of HULU Live to $84 cause they knew majority of people had Youtube TV for the sports channels.

Also during the game on Friday they promoted HULU Live at least 20+ times. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1