Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

58 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Barbie Blowout Party tickets appear to be on sale in the US:

For those that are going to track it, I'd suggest going ahead and setting up your sheets.  My regions have already sold over 100 tickets in just 5 shows with a couple of them >50% full already.

• Astonished 2

Barbie thankfully is looking like having a good PS start. But its dangerous to go by just early shows. They are very limited and would pull in hardcore fans. I would like to see how thursday previews look before calling it a breakout. 

That said I am hoping it pulls a Maverick :-)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Barbie thankfully is looking like having a good PS start. But its dangerous to go by just early shows. They are very limited and would pull in hardcore fans. I would like to see how thursday previews look before calling it a breakout. 

That said I am hoping it pulls a Maverick 🙂

I agree we need to wait to see how it looks, but I don't really think there's hardcore Barbie fans the way there are for big IP properties.

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Just out of curiosity, what comps is everyone gonna use for Barbie? 

Would think that since it’s gonna be a more fan driven, slightly older skewing family-ish film… maybe stuff like The Little Mermaid and Across the Spider-Verse? 

10 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Would think that since it’s gonna be a more fan driven, slightly older skewing family-ish film… maybe stuff like The Little Mermaid and Across the Spider-Verse? 

I was thinking more like Oppenheimer (obvious flaws with this one of course), Dune, something from Scorsese/Tarantino. Not sure how many people actually have comps like that though....

Maybe TGM. 

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Barbie MTC1 Early Shows - 7996/20800 178987.54 109 shows

I am sure its making 1 Barbillion :-) . Let us see how preview sales go on 21st. I will be able to track OD presales for sure. Zack can continue to track it after that. 

This seems....really really good.

15 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Could it be that the whole "Barbie vs. Oppenheimer" dynamic helps both? Certainly bringing attention to media

It will. The level of tractions that those barbieheimer double feature posts get is even bigger than gentleminion, and the early pre sales for both are great. I got Barbie tickets this morning for dolby and i checked again and it’s already sold out. Oppenheimer’s sold all the good seats at my local Liemax opening weekend already. Feeling very confident in both.

anecdotal, but MI didn’t really pop here outside of the early sneaks which sold out. Expecting great walk ups tho.

• Like 2

No Barbie showings in Canada yet 😒. They have the Barbie Blowout listed, but no showtimes.

It'll be really interesting if the nostalgia bait films get rejected by audiences by original material like Oppenheimer or classic IP that hasn't yet gotten the proper film treatment like Mario and Barbie.

The summer as a whole has been disappointing, but I'd feel pretty good with where things are going if those two films do well. 

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

And Indy and MI just seem to plod along.  The former seems to be stuck in neutral even dropping due to mixed reviews and such I guess yet the later had great reactions yesterday yet  that did not move the needle much. 

I really think that social reviews affect movies basically not at all, can’t remember a recent movie that got a boost from them, critic reviews are the real booster

1 minute ago, Flip said:

I really think that social reviews affect movies basically not at all, can’t remember a recent movie that got a boost from them, critic reviews are the real booster

I feel early audience reactions means barely nothing nowadays. Recently almost every movie from good to mediocre is getting good early reactions, I think most people are starting to have trouble on getting hyped based on those.

Two points about Barbie Blowout Party, at least locally.

1] It is selling very well.

2] There are only three EA showings locally in the entire Greater Sacto region, near as I can tell.

One doesn't diminish the other, but I do think it might put it in some context.

(yes, I'll make a report tonight at the end of day)

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TMP said:

It will. The level of tractions that those barbieheimer double feature posts get is even bigger than gentleminion, and the early pre sales for both are great. I got Barbie tickets this morning for dolby and i checked again and it’s already sold out. Oppenheimer’s sold all the good seats at my local Liemax opening weekend already. Feeling very confident in both.

anecdotal, but MI didn’t really pop here outside of the early sneaks which sold out. Expecting great walk ups tho.

That's only on Twitter, TikTok is where things like this actually blow up, the biggest tweets have 100-200k likes versus gentlemenions stuff on TT which was getting 10-100x the engagement and over 1.5M videos on it. (https://www.tiktok.com/music/Rich-Minion-7109284473828591617

Barbenheimer isn't even close to what Gentleminions was right now in terms of overall reach. we'll see how it looks closer to release though, I can see it gaining a ton of traction in the days leading upto release.

Edited by Bobzaruni