Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But haven't you received the memo? Paraflop is no more (unless you're Babylon lol)! Watch them work their newfound magic on this like they just did with Scream and are looking to do with Dungeons & Dragons in two weeks.

Transformers doesn't look fresh and different from everything else around it. It looks like Shazam. There is no saving that.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Transformers doesn't look fresh and different from everything else around it. It looks like Shazam. There is no saving that.

Difference is, I know quite a few people excited for Transformers just for how long it have been since the last movie. I can't say that for Shazam.

3 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Difference is, I know quite a few people excited for Transformers just for how long it have been since the last movie. I can't say that for Shazam.

But really though, there's only like a 6 month gap difference since Bumbleebee is gonna be about 4.5 years to Rise of the Beasts while Shazam was 4 years in between releases.

I know, time is fucked up

Edited by MrPink
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

There's also astronomically more hype for it, no doubt helped by the goodwill of Bumblebee, which this new movie is continuing from.

• Like 1

The new Transformers feels like a test of the overall brand after Bumblebee restored some goodwill to the IP following too many trash sequels (and the diminishing box office returns that came with them). It doesn't seem to be in the same predicament as Shazam! seems to have found itself in since the franchise continues to sell merchandise. Obviously won't do as well as the Bay movies did in their late 2000s/early 2010s prime but if the reviews are good I can see it catching on despite the intense competition surrounding it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Wrong, It's going to be the only billion Dolla movie of the year. You better Baylieve it. 

Edited by The GOAT
  • ...wtf 1

John Wick 4

Thurs Mar 23 and Fri Mar 24 (t-9)

Toronto and Montreal Canada

Toronto   # theatre #show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent
  Thurs 4 38 413 8571 8984 0.0459
  Fri 4 21 708 5172 5880 0.1204

Montreal   # theatre #show Seats Sold Seats Rem Ttl seat Percent
  Thurs 4 30 296 9634 9930 0.0298
  Fri 3 12 354 3927 4281 0.0826

Note Drop in montreal percentage is them adding a truckload of shows on Thurs (from 15-30) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The new Transformers feels like a test of the overall brand after Bumblebee restored some goodwill to the IP following too many trash sequels (and the diminishing box office returns that came with them). It doesn't seem to be in the same predicament as Shazam! seems to have found itself in since the franchise continues to sell merchandise. Obviously won't do as well as the Bay movies did in their late 2000s/early 2010s prime but if the reviews are good I can see it catching on despite the intense competition surrounding it.

Bumblebee is kind of like the first Shazam. Entertaining but forgettable and doesn't excite anyone for future stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Nope, not after GvK.

GvK didn't make that much money and left like no impact. You're not going to have lightning strike twice contrary to what WB and Legendary seem to think.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Transformers looks like a step back from Bumblebee and back into Bayhem territory, which is something that got old over a decade ago. Anecdotally, I loved Bumblebee but this new one isn’t even on my radar, so I wouldn’t count on the goodwill from Bumblebee translating into too much. 

51 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Bumblebee is kind of like the first Shazam. Entertaining but forgettable and doesn't excite anyone for future stuff. 

Bumblebee also came out 4-5 years ago and the franchise has been pretty dormant since then (I’m not counting what ever animated shows I’m sure there’s been somewhere).