Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

9 hours ago, excel1 said:

If THE BATMAN presale tickets go live early enough, it might break the opening weekend record before it even opens. 

Considering how early they are going live, it could be the highest grossing film of all time before it even opens.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wouldn't it make more sense with Magic Mike 2? Magic Mike isn't the movie they sold it as, Magic Mike 2 on the other hand, absolutely is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense with Magic Mike 2? Magic Mike isn't the movie they sold it as, Magic Mike 2 on the other hand, absolutely is.

The original turns 10 this year.

On the other hand, this should be boycotted just because I went back and saw the press release and whoever put it together made an egregious oversight:

Matthew McConaughey, Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, and Joe Manganiello star in this revealing drama set in the world of exotic male dancing.

P.S. remember when Hollywood tried to convince us Alex Pettyfer would be a big star for a total of 15 seconds? That was a funny one.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

The original turns 10 this year.

On the other hand, this should be boycotted just because I went back and saw the press release and whoever put it together made an egregious oversight:

P.S. remember when Hollywood tried to convince us Alex Pettyfer would be a big star for a total of 15 seconds? That was a funny one.

How random that this has popped up, as someone told me literally yesterday that Pettyfer is cancelled now for a severe stalking incident against a girl from Glee. 

He was my least favourite thing about Magic Mike anyway. I thought besides the supermarket scene, the sequel was pretty crappy

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

How random that this has popped up, as someone told me literally yesterday that Pettyfer is cancelled now for a severe stalking incident against a girl from Glee. 

Hasn't he been cancelled for years already? What was the last project he was even in anyway? Dude torpedoed his career due to being impossible to work with according to plenty of reports (he and Channing absolutely despised each other while making Magic Mike).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hasn't he been cancelled for years already? What was the last project he was even in anyway? Dude torpedoed his career due to being impossible to work with according to plenty of reports (he and Channing absolutely despised each other while making Magic Mike).

Yeh I heard about them fighting on set. Just never knew about the Glee story. 

He’s a charisma vacuum anyway, no loss. 

To put it briefly today: Jackass probably has passed its peak but still, the presales are not bad so far:
It had today 96 sold tickets for Thursday (10 days to go) and 265 sold tickets for Friday (11 days to go). Will search for some fitting comps soon.

As mentioned by @EmpireCity the Marry Me tickets went on sales today and it had a few minutes ago 19 sold tickets for Thurday and 13 for Friday. Way too early for guesses of course but it gets showtimes in all of my theaters.

I'm looking forward to see how Moonfall does tomorrow. At least it seems that too few showtimes won't be the problem.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking around this weekend (finally seeing Licorice Pizza) it seems like Belfast is coming back to a handful of AMCs for a showing or two a day in Dolby Cinema. Kinda goes to show how desperate theaters are right now since it's still got another two weeks before it would see any kind of awards bump.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Looking around this weekend (finally seeing Licorice Pizza) it seems like Belfast is coming back to a handful of AMCs for a showing or two a day in Dolby Cinema. Kinda goes to show how desperate theaters are right now since it's still got another two weeks before it would see any kind of awards bump.

My local Regal is bringing Dune back in IMAX...again. What an utterly sad state of affairs.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Downton Abbey has just vacated March as well. Looks like the month is being prepared for Batman Domination since The Lost City is now the only other movie being released that will make any money at all and won't be opening until the last weekend of March.

This is what March looks like now:

4: The Batman

18: Operation Fortune, The Outfit, The Unbreakable Boy

25: The Lost City

No Way Home gonna be in the top 10 still by the time Morbius finally sees the light of day in April at this rate lol.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is what March looks like now:

4: The Batman

18: Operation Fortune, The Outfit, The Unbreakable Boy

25: The Lost City

No Way Home gonna be in the top 10 still by the time Morbius finally sees the light of day in April at this rate lol.

May, June and July are gonna be a bloodbath.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

May, June and July are gonna be a bloodbath.

Meanwhile, April looks as packed as March looks empty.

1: Morbius, The Contractor, Easter Sunday

8: Ambulance, Sonic 2

15: Fantastic Beasts 3, Father Stu

22: The Bad Guys, The Northman, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

29: 65, Memory

Will that schedule stick (especially when a number of those haven't even started marketing yet)? We shall see.

• Like 2

Moonfall, counted half an hour ago for Thursday, Feb 3:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 32 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 21 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 1 (1 showtime)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 1 (1 showtime)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 1 (1 showtime)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
28 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 87 (4 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 171.
Comps: Dune (with already plenty of fans) had after one day on sale 1.038 sold tickets for Thursday

and Ad Astra had on the Monday of its release week 821 sold tickets for Thursday.

Moonfall, counted today at the same time for Friday, Feb 11:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 29 (8 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 7 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 0 (2 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 2 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
14 (6 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 21 (6 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 73.
Comps: Dune had after one day 1.426 sold tickets for Friday

and Ad Astra had again on Monday of its release week 708 sold tickets.

Overall these numbers are not really bad for Moonfall IMO but also not overwhelming.

Marry Me's numbers almost didn't change since Monday: It had today 30 sold tickets for Thurday and 15 for Friday. Of course it's still early but I expected a bit more buzz to be honest.

Jackass Forever had today 144 sold tickets for Thursday (50% up since Monday, 8 days to go) and 311 sold tickets for Friday (17% up since Monday, 9 days to go). Idk if this will continue or if it will have decent walk-ups but so far at least this movie is doing better than I thought.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2