YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

2 hours ago, Kalo said:

I think Turning Red would have been too controversial for parents with younger kids to gross $300m tbh.

American conservatives are the most baffling people on the planet. They saw a box of tampons and called it “controversial”.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, DTP said:

Turning Red would have been lucky to hit $200m

Am original animation is not seeing $200m in this market. Maybe towards the end of 2022 or 2023, but not now.

• Like 2

Earlier conversation but citing game popularity doesn't really matter if the movie isn't appealing. Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world, Detective Pikachu was a massive box office disappointment. Same will happen to the Mario movie if it looks unappealing, and considering the current thoughts on it right now online.... Then again Illumination's managed to get a lot worse to a billion dollars so.

Ah, I see that Batman has finally dipped below 50% of the overall market since release as of this Sun! That’s 37 days on the dot, tying Endgame for 2nd place. NWH +Batman ran for  114 straight days of a single-movie-dominated market, far and away the largest such stretch. But it will soon come to a close, as Sonic only has maybe 8 days of juice and Dumbledore will have 0.    

Since dec 17 through apr 7, CBMs are at 1.2B vs rest of market 950M. May be touch and go to see whether the streak lasts until DS2 can resuscitate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kalo said:

I think Turning Red would have been too controversial for parents with younger kids to gross $300m tbh.

Even Encanto which is apparently beloved did not make 100 mill domestic. Red would have done about the same.

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

maybe. But better than zero dollars like it made on Disney+

I'd also add that every additional family film brings more people back out to theatres. Disney, which lives and dies on that demo, is well served in getting families back to their old theatre going habits. 

I'm hoping Bad Guys does well. Trailer got a decent reaction during the Sonic matinee I went to. 

• Like 1

The Batman is coming to HBO MAX in America on April 18. We knew this already for months and months but here it is. I do believe that after this one they might be more flexible because this time they had Killar saying it in an interview and couldn't back down from it.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Somehow jussssst put together that  Natalie Portman is getting a starring turn in a Disney mega franchise the exact same year as Ewan and Hayden

Time is circular and has no meaning!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Batman is coming to HBO MAX in America on April 18. We knew this already for months and months but here it is. I do believe that after this one they might be more flexible because this time they had Killar saying it in an interview and couldn't back down from it.

You naive child.

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

I'd also add that every additional family film brings more people back out to theatres. Disney, which lives and dies on that demo, is well served in getting families back to their old theatre going habits. 

I'm hoping Bad Guys does well. Trailer got a decent reaction during the Sonic matinee I went to. 

I like Bad Guys trailer...that said, I used my kids' Cinemark monthly credit already, so it's gonna take quite a ticket deal to get me to go in to see it.  I imagine that will be the case for a lot of families who watched Sonic (aka, they don't tend to be "buy 2 full sets of family tickets/month)...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How was Half Blood prince rated PG? It's like the one where everyone is horny for each other. 

I think the film having zombies and a very depressing ending where everyone is sad helped make it PG instead of PG-13.

• Haha 1