YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

For comparison, the first Sonic movie had to take advantage of both Valentine's Day and Presidents Day to reach the $70M mark. And that was the extended 4-day weekend.

Sonic 2 matching that number in one less day and on a non-holiday weekend is nothing short of incredible. And it's a family movie sequel to boot. You know, the kind of movies that generally bomb or underperform (Bay!Turtles 2, Scooby-Doo 2, Smurfs 2 etc.).

Very well deserved for such an incredible movie. Fowler didn't have to go as hard as he did... but he did anyway, which proves that he truly is one of us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Not ones who are the leads of their own movies......She is the titular Captain Marvel in Captain Marvel

MOREbius has a lead oscar winner the cultist himself jared 20% leto

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

She isn't progressive at all lmao. Just look at her upcoming non-blockbuster roles on top of her already playing in an Air Force ad. She's just a feminist, which is a pretty standard opinion to have.

I agreed, all of the things she says is normal indeed.

But still, people hate her because they think she is about to make a revolution against every man on the world so, for them, she have strong progressist opinions and she is somehow an enemy. And for me this will make a fun experience to see her in a Fast & Furious movie.

When you try to make a post contextualizing your thoughts on EEAAO because you want to be a part of the conversation, but realize that you’ll go down as the person who derailed the Sonic 2 weekend thread into Jaws slander territory.

:sadfleck:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

When you try to make a post contextualizing your thoughts on EEAAO because you want to be a part of the conversation, but realize that you’ll go down as the person who derailed the Sonic 2 weekend thread into Jaws slander territory.

fa423905-8ebb-497b-8aab-82f0d860deed_tex

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

You should be taking pride in the sheer power of your less than stellar takes 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

70M is a thrilling and deserving start for Sonic 2. Hopefully it gets to 200M even with all the competition coming (Bad Guys, FB3, DS2).

The final 30 minutes (including the credits scene) are CINEMA. Up there with NWH and Endgame.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hey, don’t be out here stealing my glory :sparta:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, on an upcoming weekend topic...I finally watched Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald last night...and I get why WB is ignoring that movie in advertising.  That movie ignored being a movie itself.

It was the worst movie in a series - one which forgot that not everyone watched or remembered the 1st movie and which really just is playing a "point A to point B" "plot" (not sure I'd say this movie REALLY had one) to get to the real next movie.  And character motivations seemed off, and where were the actual "crimes of Grindelwald" - I mean, I was expecting a Voldemort tour-de-force with that title, and we mostly get some speeches and playing nice.

Now, that said, it's not as horrific as some say...but it's such a nothing.  Like an extended tv episode 15 of a 23 episode season for a tv show...

I'd say C-/D+ for a grade for both a standalone movie and as a series continuer.

I did still like Newt.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

70M is a thrilling and deserving start for Sonic 2. Hopefully it gets to 200M even with all the competition coming (Bad Guys, FB3, DS2).

The final 30 minutes (including the credits scene) are CINEMA. Up there with NWH and Endgame.

Hmmm I wonder what type of holds it would need to get to 200m.

Let us assume a $70m OW at least, give or take an extra million or two.

April 8-10th: $70m (*1.39 for the dailies = $97.2m by Thursday the 14th)

April 15-17th: $38.5m/$46m (-45%, assuming Beasts underperforms that weekend and/or isn’t as large a family draw) (*1.6 for the dailies by Thursday the 21st = $159m)

April 22nd-24th: $18.1m (-53% because The Bad Guys is still family competition and screen loss) (*1.4 for the dailies = $184.3M total by Thursday the 28th)

April 29th-May 1st: $9.95m (-45%) (*1.4 for dailies by Thursday the 5th = $198.2m)

In order for this to be plausible, Sonic 2 must play like a family movie.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

yep. It was the nostalgia rush I didn’t know I needed or could feel.  Took me straight back to the early 90’s where Sonic was at the core of me falling hard for video games.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

So $72-74M for Sonic. Really nice. Likely to be the first $200M DOM non-Superhero film in over 2 years (BB4L).  

is it too early to suggest the next bad boys should just be ‘Sonic & Knuckles’ ?

Smith has blown it. Sonic and Knuckles have rocked up and could take over. Just have them take over from Lowrey and Burnett.