Eric Duncan

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire | March 22, 2024

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

it was decent up until the third act , most modern reboots seems have issues here

My point is that I really like the whole metaphor about the Reitman’s father and son relationship there. Film has heart, which was missing from Feig’s remake. It feels like a new beginning for the Ghostbusters universe, I actually want to spend more time in that world. Really curious with them going back to the NYC setting.

3 hours ago, BadAtGender said:

The best Ghostbusters movie is the 2016 one

Agreed. And this new one will also gross less than the 2016 one did, just like Afterlife. 

(I know Afterlife had a sensible budget and was probably profitable, but less people seen it). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I’m not sure if the new generation of nerds hang around this message board. I’d imagine they do not, but whenever people trash Ghostbusters for Egon’s granddaughter being the main focus of Afterlife, Star Wars because of Rey or Marvel because of whatever female character is in the order of the day to hate on, I think of little moments like this:

I’m glad that a new generation is getting the toys I used to play around with. Afterlife was about not really pleasing the old fans nostalgia, but forging a new fandom around the franchise. Yeah yeah, cynical money cash grab by Sony yes, but you can say that about literally every single blockbusters made by any of the studios. Shit like this warms my heart.

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not sure if the new generation of nerds hang around this message board. I’d imagine they do not, but whenever people trash Ghostbusters for Egon’s granddaughter being the main focus of Afterlife, Star Wars because of Rey or Marvel because of whatever female character is in the order of the day to hate on, I think of little moments like this:

I’m glad that a new generation is getting the toys I used to play around with. Afterlife was about not really pleasing the old fans nostalgia, but forging a new fandom around the franchise. Yeah yeah, cynical money cash grab by Sony yes, but you can say that about literally every single blockbusters made by any of the studios. Shit like this warms my heart.

Afterlife was absolutely about pandering to those man babies that decided to harass a group of women that had the audacity to work on a movie. It's for people that deserve absolutely nothing and reeked of cowardice in the highest degree by Sony. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 4

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Afterlife was absolutely about pandering to those man babies that decided to harass a group of women that had the audacity to work on a movie. It's for people that deserve absolutely nothing and reeked of cowardice in the highest degree by Sony. 

Femmebusters barely crawled past $220M worldwide on a $144M budget. People just didn't like it. If the Fandom Menace backlash was the sole hurdle then it would still have made far more money than it did, as other female-centric movies since then have displayed. Granted, Afterlife didn't get much past $200M worldwide either, but at least that can be reasonably blamed on the foul stench of Femmebusters and the unstable marketplace at the time. Oh, and it also cost half as much. Sony going back to the original continuity isn't cowardice, but the mythical sensible move from their end. They never should have rebooted in hindsight, and they should've just done a proper Ghostbusters 3 to begin with.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Femmebusters barely crawled past $220M worldwide on a $144M budget. People just didn't like it. If the Fandom Menace backlash was the sole hurdle then it would still have made far more money than it did, as other female-centric movies since then have displayed. Granted, Afterlife didn't get much past $200M worldwide either, but at least that can be reasonably blamed on the foul stench of Femmebusters and the unstable marketplace at the time. Oh, and it also cost half as much. Sony going back to the original continuity isn't cowardice, but the mythical sensible move from their end. They never should have rebooted in hindsight, and they should've just done a proper Ghostbusters 3 to begin with.

I'm not talking about the financial aspect of it. These sad acts seemed to take pride in running the cast off of social media through sheer harassment, why on earth do people like that deserve to be catered to? 

• Like 3

I don’t get the appeal in Ghostbusters in general or the fervent nostalgia that is many due to Hi-C and Halloween costumes as I don’t think anyone under 35 really cares that much for it. It’s just supposed to be SNL actors dicking around with ghosts. The first is a solid 3.5/5 but the video game is the only time the franchise has ever wowed me. Feel like a Buress/Hader/Davidson combo would be a fun time though with them just riffing on each other.

Ghostbusters 2 is mediocre and the less we saw about it the better, Ghostbusters 16 is technically the 2nd best because it sticks to the concept but not more than a 3/5, Afterlife is kind of TROS of the franchise made to appease but winds up juiceless. I have not much interest in Frozen Empire unless it looks really funny or cool. Think the sequel will have a similar increase percentage wise as Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 (~155m domestic/300m WW).

I’m curious if Sony Animation will ever get the animated movie they’re making off the ground as they got directors recently. 

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

I adore the first Ghostbusters but its a franchise/fanbase that has severely misremembered the original film. 2016 Ghostbusters was quite bad but it was MUCH closer in tone/style to the OG than the other films. Completely irreverent comedy where SNL guys riff on what if bug exterminators but for ghosts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

I adore the first Ghostbusters but its a franchise/fanbase that has severely misremembered the original film. 2016 Ghostbusters was quite bad but it was MUCH closer in tone/style to the OG than the other films. Completely irreverent comedy where SNL guys riff on what if bug exterminators but for ghosts.

No it wasn’t. Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad Nickelodeon comedy. Ghostbusters 1984 was a comedy but still played the terror and threat straight and didn’t devolve into slapstick. Afterlife sucked too though for being a lazy nostalgia rehash. The 2009 video game will always be the real Ghostbusters 3

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1