Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

2 minutes ago, exomassey said:

At the end of the day that’s what the movie is though just Strange with Wanda and that is probably why it’s not surpassing expectations.

Marvel marketed it as an event but at the end of the day it’s not. 

CW flashbacks intensify.   

AoU meets CW I guess

• Like 1

Another great opening for the MCU. Remember CW was a big team up film with most of the big Avengers ,even Spiderman didn't help it much. CW still didn't make over 1.2 billion. Captain marvel made the same as CW and Black Panther made much more.

BVS always gets dug up when a superhero film is observed (by some) to be underperforming lol.

Very frontloaded opening weekend whichever way you slice it anyway. 

I have no doubt it’ll pass $400m, with ease. Mind you I also had no doubt it would open over $200m.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The fact they announced it would be on Peacock the same day as theaters when they began marketing it was pretty telling that the studio had no faith in it, despite the strategic Friday the 13th release date choice.

So, you're saying people could ironically or hate watch Firestarter with their movie subs on May 13?  Yeah, maybe $5M just on Friday, then!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

34 minutes ago, exomassey said:

At the end of the day that’s what the movie is though just Strange with Wanda and that is probably why it’s not surpassing expectations.

Marvel marketed it as an event but at the end of the day it’s not. 

Re: Strange and Wanda. I dunno. I'd say the reason why it didn't open bigger (well, in comparison to NWH and other over 200M OW) is lack of the hook. Multiverse/crossover was NWH's hook.  MOM was basically "more of the same but crazier". I wouldn't blame the characters who are the reason why it opened as big as it did.

185M+ is an event territory, though not the cigar if we raise the floor to 200M, not to mention 265M OS on top of it. If you want to know what failed event looks like, that's Eternals. Failure as critical event, failure as awards event, failure as boxoffice event. of course, it looks like DS2 in comparison to failed event of failed events - Matrix 4. They even released 2 teasers at the same time for it lol. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

They’re pointing out that there has been less variance in total/sun than total/sat for mcu summer kickoffs, suggesting that the former is likely a more reliable metric. I probably would have posted the coefficient of variation for each to be explicit but it’s pretty clear which is more consistent from eyeballing.

Idk, doesn't sun has smaller range at 9-9.8 something. 

Anyways, we are going to look at biz after weekend / sunday not total/sunday.

Dr Strange 2 outopens Captain America 3.

Wanda and Strange and Wong and America out open The Avengers minus Hulk and Thor!

Dudes and Dudettes, that’s huge!

• Like 4

Another thing I've been noticing about Top Gun sales is how incredibly backloaded they are. Thursday is MUCH stronger than the Wednesday "previews" across the board. And Friday is consistently at least 50% ahead of Thursday, sometimes as close to 100-110% bigger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Another thing I've been noticing about Top Gun sales is how incredibly backloaded they are. Thursday is MUCH stronger than the Wednesday "previews" across the board. And Friday is consistently at least 50% ahead of Thursday, sometimes as close to 100-110% bigger. 

old men effect

• Like 3

FB3 looks to top out around 385 WW. 

Think if domestic could have been around 120-125, they would have done a fourth and final.  Can’t see it with those numbers though. Particularly when it’s going to be the first sub 100 of the potter franchise.

Curious to see if it’s future is ever addressed or if it just fades.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

Do we have any numbers on repeat views in the post-Covid/streaming era? I'd say Marvel (+ SW and Disney musicals) might suffer more due to their strong connection to the Disney brand (unlike HboMax titles, the others are not big enough to cause damage tbh). 

51 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

What happened to TB weekend numbers for this weekend can't find them ? 

Warner stopped reporting them. Another sign this Window need to extended to 60 days. Even though The Batman has done absolutely amazing for them becoming their 5th of all time domestic boxoffice grosser. Though i think Warner know it could have done even more with a longer window. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I dont see a reality where this doesnt cross 400M DOM.

Sure, reception is mixed and the OW is very frontloaded and sure, that 2nd weekend will probably look bad. But theres literally 0 competition coming up for 2 full weeks before Top Gun hits and its not like WOM is toxic like with BvS.

• Like 7