Cap

AMERICA CHAVEZ IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS WEEKEND THREAD | Aka carbonara civil war thread | 187.42M OW

12 minutes ago, mitchellsilver said:

This isn’t a Doctor Strange sequel like Thor 2 and Cap 2 was though. Its basically like Civil War. 

How, it literally only has Doctor Strange and Wanda.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Hmm so if MoM is the AOU of this year, does that make Dominion the JW 🤔?

Hmm you might be on to something here. 

DS2 = AoU

JWD = JW

Lightyear = Inside Out

Minions 2 = Minions

Thor L&T = Ant-Man (Taika shitting his pants rn) 

Edited by Tokugennumataka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

People need to stop comparing and calling MoM a horror film. It's an MCU film. It's not going to have horror legs. It's not marketed as a horror movie. 

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

DS2 is not like Civil War, it's basically like Iron Man 3. DS character is like Tony Stark for both casual & hardcore fans of MCU & that's bcz of assumptions as Marvel Studios has not revealed yet who is the main lead of MCU. 

Looking at other MCU openers in late April/early May, some saw pretty good Sat to True Fri bumps. 

GoTG 2 - +31.3%

AIW - +22.0%

CA: CW - +21.2%

IM3 - +16.9%

AEG - +12.1%

MTA - +12.0%

DSiTMoM - +6.3% (Assuming $59M Sat and $91.5M Friday sticks) 

IM - +6.0%

Thor - +5.0%

IM2 - +4.7%

A:AoU - -0.5% (Obvious reasons). 

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Under Batman

Robert Pattinson Action GIF by The Batman

Still have to double check myself when trying to figure out if that GIF is from The Batman or Batman Begins. 

• Haha 1

• Founder / Operator

I'd more easily see a 2x for DSITMOM if this were a packed/normal May with a big release in weekend #3. Alas, this isn't 2013 when Trek and Fast 6 hit by Iron Man 3's fourth frame. Next year looks more like that.

I agree there's fair reason to be concerned about the multiplier for the weekend. Let's see where the weekend ends up first, though. This is an oddball for Marvel, which is clearly in an expected rebuild mode in terms of story and tonality post-Infinity Saga if not necessarily in box office dollars. Putting this between NWH and LAT looks really smart, especially with so much uncertainty surrounding Wakanda Forever right now (although that's an entirely different subject).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Side note but I’m checking up on Top Gun sales regionally and... holy crap it’s really picking up steam. Honestly is selling like a Marvel movie so far, with the caveat that it’s not slowing down after the first couple days. Once reviews hit, I expect it will get another boost. @Shawn do you have any comments about just your own personal expectations?

Honestly if this movie really lands (or soars I guess) with audiences, I could see BOpro’s high end forecast being very very possible.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Side note but I’m checking up on Top Gun sales regionally and... holy crap it’s really picking up steam. Honestly is selling like a Marvel movie so far, with the caveat that it’s not slowing down after the first couple days. Once reviews hit, I expect it will get another boost. @Shawn do you have any comments about just your own personal expectations?

Honestly if this movie really lands (or soars I guess) with audiences, I could see BOpro’s high end forecast being very very possible.

How's JW Dominion looking? Hopefully comfortably above Fallen Kingdom

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

They want to count the cameos that are barely important in or out of the story as being a pseudo Avenger movie like Civil War.

It's just to have more reasons to call the movie a failure.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, mitchellsilver said:

This isn’t a Doctor Strange sequel like Thor 2 and Cap 2 was though. Its basically like Civil War. 

Also going by this metric anyways, adjusted Civil War opens to 189 million. MoM will either barely be above it or above it by a few million. So it's opening just as well as Civil War did.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

They want to count the cameos that are barely important in or out of the story as being a pseudo Avenger movie like Civil War.

Let's not forget CW made just slightly above $400M. Even if MoM does that kind of money, it's still good. Was I expecting better, yes. But, the cameos are a small part of the film. And, this is really a Doctor Strange/Wanda flick. CW was Avengers 2.5 I don't think there is a truly good comparison point for MoM. Maybe IM3 is the best comparison since that had an Avengers bump. This obviously had a IW,EG,NWH bump, so to go from the $230s to likely $400s seems decent to me.

The reception is slightly troubling, but Marvel tends to get back on its feet. With Thor 4 right around the corner, everything seems fine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

It actually makes a lot of sense when the big selling point of the movie was exactly that. A lot of people being disappointed with the lack of more cameos is not surprising and confirms that this movie hype was VERY related to the cameos and the supposed direction it would give to the MCU and the lack of it definitely hurted it's perception and will cut part of it's legs. If this movie was just a regular Doctor Strange and Wanda movie without any buzz about multiverse, importance for the future of the MCU and cameos from other relevant characters this would make A LOT less in the opening weekend and we all know that. We can't judge this movie OW and therefore overall box office based on what it is, but we have to judge it based on peoples perception on what it would be and how they marketed the movie.

Edited by Flamengo81
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

How's JW Dominion looking? Hopefully comfortably above Fallen Kingdom

Yes, but Top Gun is outselling it by a country mile. Makes sense given it’s the one closer to release, but still...

• Like 1