BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Make up unsubstantiated theories than admit a Marvel movie has lackluster word of mouth. Ah, I missed this place.

But ... practically everyone agrees here that MoM has mixed WOM?

• Like 2
  • Astonished 4

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

One thing that all this reminds me of is Spider-Man Homecomings 2nd weekend fall, which at -62,2% caused a ton of meltdowns here and many people doubted 300M heavily for it after the sophomore frame. But then, ofc, Homecoming stabilized nicely and got over 300M comfortably.

Now, i dont want to make an exact comparison to Homecoming with MoM, since Spidey had very good WOM compared to the mixed one Strange receives. But it goes to show that even well-received movies can crash on the 2nd weekend. Therefore, when judging a movies legs, only looking at the 2nd weekend can be misleading sometimes. Like others have said, we sould really wait to see Strange's hold next weekend to see if it will be able to stabilize or not really.

Ah yes, I remember fiercely defending Homecoming's second weekend drop.

"They called me a madman".

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

NWH home showed what late legs can be like for a blockbuster if it's not rushed to PVOD or a streaming service. Couldn't agree more.

An unusually barren environment certainly helped that when everyone ran scared of Omicron 

18 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

Damn, Top Gun is going to kneecap the crap out of this and then JWD will take out whatever’s left

Dr. Strange could become the next Dr. in line besides Malcolm, Grant and Sattler to better run away from those dinosaurs.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

But ... practically everyone agrees here that MoM has mixed WOM?

That’d mean once again people don’t look into the nuance but it’s not like BOT has done this before…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

That’d mean once again people don’t look into the nuance but it’s not like BOT has done this before…

Nuance is for amateurs. Generalizations, thats where the professionals are at.

Spoiler

:qotd:

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eric Strange said:

Well I'm a mod. I can't ignore people's posts, or otherwise it will lead to troublemakers and trolls wrecking havoc. You don't have that issue however.

You mean like the dozen trolls who ruin these weekend threads most weeks?

4 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Top Gun now has a chance to beat DS2. 

Yeah. It's crazy. If someone told me going into the year that Maverick had potential to rack up a higher DOM gross than Batman, Strange and, I guess until we see how it does, Thor this year, I'd say they were nuts. I still think people are a bit bullish on it though. It's hard for me to imagine a higher ceiling than 350M DOM for Maverick but hope I'm wrong it somehow blows past 400M+ DOM.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You mean like the dozen trolls who ruin these weekend threads most weeks?

Yes. The staff and I take care of these trolls every week whenever they start trouble. We just suspended one yesterday in fact.

Homecoming managed to have strong late legs thanks to being a July release. As far as I’m aware, May releases generally don’t have that luxury. 

Regardless, people don’t need to freak out about it. Thor: Love and Thunder will probably play better. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Guys lets make this thread a happy place.

We have a bullet-proof method for that as well: Rankings!

How about your personal favourite Top 3 MCU movies?

Mine are:

1) Infinity War

2) Thor: Ragnarok
3) Spider-Man: No Way Home

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Guys lets make this thread a happy place.

We have a bullet-proof method for that as well: Rankings!

How about your personal favourite Top 3 MCU movies?

Mine are:

1) Infinity War

2) Thor: Ragnarok
3) Spider-Man: No Way Home

1) NWH

2) Endgame

3) Infinity War

That is it, that is the rank!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It's not, I bow to King Eric.  He's trying to goad me today into getting a warning/ban.  

All done taking the bait!

I was merely suggesting you should ignore posts you don't like, especially when said "overreactions" aren't breaking any rules or harming anybody in any way. I'm not trying to give you a warning or ban, and that is never my intention with any posts I make to you or anybody here. A mod/admin here would never do something like that. This is a position that requires users to have extremely good standings on the forum and have immense respect for everybody. I'm sorry if I gave any misinterpretations, but I hope you understand I would never partake in this kind of behavior.

• Like 1