BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

1 hour ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Saw Encanto for the first time. Some of the same issues as Eternals, probably would have been even better as a series. I wish Disney would ditch their no villains kick.    

I'd say "give it time, there's a D+ series coming" but after the soundtrack became a sensation they'll definitely be pulling a Frozen and hold off on further content (aside from the occasional short or holiday special) until the inevitable Encanto 2 to avoid oversaturating the market.

I vaguely remember reading a comment that said something like "MCU will die down and Avatar will take it over creating a new cinematic landscape that's healthier for society." Did I just imagine that or was that on here? I quickly skimmed some pages a while ago.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I vaguely remember reading a comment that said something like "MCU will die down and Avatar will take it over creating a new cinematic landscape that's healthier for society." Did I just imagine that or was that on here? I quickly skimmed some pages a while ago.

someone says that every other day here

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Can someone explain why DS2 is too scary for families to watch but Jurassic Park isn’t?  

Honestly that argument is shit. 

It's all about the treatment of movies that director gives.

Jurassic Park trilogy had their scary moments, but at certain points, wasn't consistent throughout the movie, atmosphere wasn't like that.

Jurassic World wasn't scary at all, Fallen Kingdom went back to scary roots in mansion sequence.

And i don't think Dominion will go for scary again. Colin Treverow doesn't do scary.

Dr Strange had that atmosphere constantly and it had many scenes throughout the movie to amp up the horror factor, even if you don't find some scenes scary, you can see families having problem with it. 

Also Dinosaurs eating people is as much FUN and it is scary, so that balances it out.

Compare all of that to how the MCU marshaled the Infinity Saga: By the sixth movie, 2012’s “The Avengers,” we’d met Thanos. By the tenth, 2014’s “Guardians of the Galaxy,” we first heard the words “Infinity Stones” and understood fully that Thanos was bent on collecting all six of them. Every subsequent film inched that larger story forward in small or major ways, as we realized at least some of the Infinity Stones had been hiding in plain sight starting with 2011’s “Captain America: The First Avenger.” Each Phase culminated with an “Avengers” movie (or two), and each MCU film, while an experience (more or less) onto itself, had a cogent sense of forward momentum and overall narrative purpose. Thanos wants those stones, which would be cataclysmically bad — our heroes are going to have to stop him.

Eleven titles into Phase Four, there are several potential Big Bads — Kang, Valentina, Arishem, Kingpin, even the Dark Dimension’s overlord Dormammu — lurking in the periphery. But Marvel Studios has yet to let on whether there even is a grand design to tie all of these strands together.

That could be a feature, not a bug. With the explosion of MCU content on Disney+, there may be simply too many titles to hold together into one consolidated storyline, so Marvel isn’t going to try.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

11 projects in 14 months

help

• Like 2

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

11 projects in 14 months

help

I've decided to not watch D+ series now, it's honestly being way too much.

I even watched Hawkeye and Moon Knight days after their episodes released, compared to when i used to watch first few series on the day their episodes were released.

Too much content, and if it means i might not understand few stuff in movies then so be it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

Can someone explain why DS2 is too scary for families to watch but Jurassic Park isn’t?  

Honestly that argument is shit. 

Half of it is soccer moms doing their usual handwringing, a third of it is Marvel fans trying to prop this up as something SUPER SERIOUS AND EDGY, when it's really not anything worse than other PG-13 blockbusters (and for the record, other fandoms do this stuff too), and the remainder is just people surprised the film was a bit more intense than they were expecting and were caught off guard by it all.

• Like 1

The difference is not "scary", it is the difference between horror and thrilling.  

Jurassic Park is thrilling.  T-Rex attack on the SUV is crazy scary, but in a thrilling way.  

DS2 is scary in the horror sense.  Ghouls, zombies, supernatural gore, etc.... 

• Like 4

Eleven titles into Phase Four, there are several potential Big Bads — Kang, Valentina, Arishem, Kingpin, even the Dark Dimension’s overlord Dormammu — lurking in the periphery. But Marvel Studios has yet to let on whether there even is a grand design to tie all of these strands together.

Any previous literature that might hint at a connection between them all?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$18.6m

That’s pretty good Sun hold (-30%), after Saturday increase was decent, though lower than typical MCU 

Could be seeing Strange stating to find it’s natural rate of decline; a $30M+ 3rd weekend looks quite plausible from here 

I know DS2 doesn’t have great word of mouth but personally feel it is more average than bad.

I do wonder if inflation is going to make these event movies (or just movies in general) even more front loaded as the hardcore watch them but the rest save money and wait (plus this could hurt repeat viewings even amongst hardcore fans) and if that is just as much of an impact on DS2 or even more so than WOM.

I guess I’ll be able to test that theory towards the end of June once we get around a month of data from Top Gun 2 and Jurassic World 3 (which I hope plays like a TFA crowdpleaser) as well as a couple of weeks of Lightyear which historically would play well as a family film during summer. 

This on top of the fact that TV has gotten really good production wise and we have a lot of high profile shows coming up during the Summer and really through the rest of the year. 

Going to plug a K Drama I’ve been watching called Bloody Heart but this level of cinematography and production design for a show on a ~$20-30m USD budget across 16+ hours is mind blowing to me: 

It is crazy how 10 years ago GoT was really the only show “challenging” movie level productions and even then early GoT wasn’t as crazy as the latter seasons, roughly 20 years ago LOST (which is one of my favourite shows of all time) didn’t come anywhere near the likes of LoTR, Harry Potter, Star Wars Prequels, Pirates etc. It feels like since 2017 TV shows have gotten way better looking with Mando, Kingdom (Netflix Korean zombie show), GoT latter seasons and Stranger Things all looking really really good and well not at movie levels the gap between the two is much smaller. Hopefully Avatar 2 creates a gulf between how a movie and a TV show can look a bit larger once again at the end of the year.

As for the talk that WandaVision wasn’t popular that seems like an easy (and false) excuse. WV was the most pirated show in 2021 (some of the comes from launching early in the year but it didn’t matter when a show like GoT or Mando came out which was later in the year both would still top the list) and was one of the most watched streaming originals according to Nielsen (US only/TV only, so no cellphone/laptop etc. data) Nielsen also tracks data for all episode so shows with multiple seasons or higher episode count benefit.

Source for  most pirated show: https://torrentfreak.com/wandavision-is-the-most-pirated-tv-show-of-2021-211225/

Nielsen data: 

2021-top-15-streaming-original.png?w=153

Anyway sorry for the long rant.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The difference is not "scary", it is the difference between horror and thrilling.  

Jurassic Park is thrilling.  T-Rex attack on the SUV is crazy scary, but in a thrilling way.  

DS2 is scary in the horror sense.  Ghouls, zombies, supernatural gore, etc.... 

I would say some sequence in these movies were designed to be scary scary.

Raptors in Kitchen in Jurassic Park 

Raptors in Long Grass in TLW

Bird Cage in JP 3

Mansion chase in Fallen Kingdom

Edited by THUNDER BIRD