Eric S'ennui

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

I really really love the movie!!! I think the extensive use of practical effect is why the dangerous stunt look a lot more relatable to people and the suspense become more genuine. A well deserve A+ cinemascore. Wish this mean a huge bump for Saturday and hype up those people who aren't interested to check this movie out of curiosity. 

• Like 2

I mean I knew the movie is gonna be huge when my dad here in Egypt asks me about it every other weekend since they announced it because the original was one of his favourite movies back in the day 

• Like 3

Never post in the weekend thread but just want to say that i love this movie. Already saw it 3 times by now. Planning to watch it more later. Easily best movie that i watched this year. One of the first scenes is my favorite because i'm such a fan of the real life plane that this movie took inspiration for that particular scene. Excellent 1st and 3rd act. Nearly perfect for a blockbuster.

Repeat viewing seems high and people who haven't watch the first can easily understand this movie without having to watch the 1st movie.

Edited by RJ 95
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I always knew this movie was going to be a huge success and likely Tom Cruise's biggest opening, but the fact that it might open to $170m 4 day is ridiculous and I didn't see that until actual pre-sales data hit.  I thought optimistically coming out of seeing the whole thing at CinemaCon that if everything went perfect it could hit a $100m opening, but trying to be "realistic" I was hoping for $75m+ 3 day opening.  That alone would have been wildly successful  

In 2022 with the way early sales and comp tracking are, there are never any true surprises in the classical sense due to knowing via data, but even with that Top Gun: Maverick is having an ASTOUNDING opening.  

It's wild and I love it.  One of the reasons all of us spend time on this forum and doing what we do.  

The entire buzz and tracking thread should be marked as "SPOILERS"

It’s a really rare feeling, but a pretty amazing one, when you’re watching a movie in a packed theatre, with an audience, old and young, that is loving every second of it.

And you just sit there thinking to yourself: “I’m watching a future classic.” Bravo Cruise, Kosinski and team. Bravo.

• Like 1

I haven't been this excited to read a weekend thread in a long time and it's one of my favorites in a long time. I always read and lurk but rarely get to post because of time constraints but just wanted to say I always enjoy reading most of the comments and the running gags. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

TOP GUN: MAVERICK (2022)A+

I’m not surprised by this in the slightest. The film was fantastic. 

Bob’s Burgers is unsurprisingly really front loaded but it’s more than I expected it to make. 

That’s a horrendous drop for Downton Abbey, 11 days and still under the opening 3 day of the last film. 

Aso, just wanted to add: Top Gun Maverick is from the writer of Scream 3 lol. Ehren did good! 

Edited by Krissykins

Not at the slightest surprised by the A+ Cinemascore, very well deserved. There is a particular prolonged scene where Cruise is piloting and turning the plane left and right, bumping on each side wall of the cockpit and you just know they drag the scene to show you that yes, it is indeed happening. It was exhilarating.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 1

500M+ DOM for Top Gun looking good, which is incredible.

Also means that we could get 3 500M+ grossers this summer: Top Gun, JW and Thor. Though we would need the latter two movies to also get a very good reception from audiences.

But even if all of them "only" gross 490M, it should tell studios that cinema is still far from dead.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

500M+ DOM for Top Gun looking good, which is incredible.

Also means that we could get 3 500M+ grossers this summer: Top Gun, JW and Thor. Though we would need the latter two movies to also get a very good reception from audiences.

But even if all of them "only" gross 490M, it should tell studios that cinema is still far from dead.

Does JWD actually need good reception for 500? I would think it has a solid shot with JWFK legs.

2 minutes ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Does JWD actually need good reception for 500? I would think it has a solid shot with JWFK legs.

If it it opens close to or over 200M, then FK reception-level easily will it take over 500M already, yes. A 180ish OW would do the deed as well. But i do believe that it will be a bit more frontloaded than the last two movies because of certain factors ("Finale" premise, old trio coming back) and that - like with JW - an OW in the 200M region is only possible if the audience reception is very good ond not only "okay".

Im just personally getting a tiny bit nervous about the movie now because were getting so close to its release and ive experienced the crushing of my optimism with KotM once already 😅

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

One way to explain success is TG2 is secretly a superhero film even though it totally isn't. Maverick belongs along side Batman and Thor.:Gaga:

Now I am suspecting that paramount are the main culprit that spreading out the rumours Tom cruise iron man variant. 

A tactic that can set DS2 up as a disappointment due to high expectation, meanwhile selling Tom cruise brand to superhero crowd. 

2 hours ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

I think it's more apples to apples to consider Indy a 152 OW than 127 for the sake of comparison with modern movies. If it had the exact same shows available on the exact same days it would certainly be counted as a 55.6M "OD.".  

And 153 certainly seems like the right fig for pirates.

For comparison sure, but records be what they be for the "as it happened" data, not for "well if it was today..." If we want to take that route then Pirates and SM3 never broke the OW record since it would rightly belong to Revenge of the Sith. 

Got no issues with the comparison angle, but BOM isn't wrong as Deadline is so highly trying to claim. That said, I could always play the inflation card 🤣 POTC3 gets to keep the record then (oh the memories of seeing that flick in theaters.) 

Wow! Looks like Top Gun 2 is taking a lot of Memorial Day box office records from other blockbuster movies that were released in Memorial Day Weekend. Biggest MD weekend opening from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End.

Though neither Pirates 3 nor Indiana Jones 4 have the highest DOM & WW-gross of a movie released on Memorial Day Weekend. That honor actually goes to Guy Ritchie’s Aladdin from three years ago with $355M DOM & $1.050B WW.

So…Top Gun 2 beating Aladdin’s DOM gross is an easy given considering the former’s stellar reception from critics & audiences, but does TG2 have the chance of outgrossing it in terms of worldwide gross if the legs are as powerful as it might get?