EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Everyone All GIF - Everyone All Leon - Discover & Share GIFs

Maybe it won't but 85M+ is locked as the floor and 90M+ is very, very possible. Anytime I have an excuse to user that gif though... Worth it.

While predicting against TG2 has made a lot of people look foolish (myself included), don’t think $85 is the floor here. There’s reasonable cause to expect a pretty moderate increase from Fri to Sat that puts weekend total lower 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Maybe open a week early OS. Now Jurassic will kill its legs OS

I don't think so. Maybe a little yeah, but it wont kill it. Dominion wom will be subpar, Maverick will be fine enough...

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd agree with this... Unless Maverick gets over 600M+ DOM, I'd say Black Panther is definitely a more impressive run. In the end, both are easily going to be more impressive than Jurassic World which had a very impressive run itself.

I'd actually say No Way Home could very much be argued to be more impressive too. I know it had the holiday boost but 805M DOM off of a 260M OW DOM when Covid was spiking during the months of December and January and even into February is pretty bonkers too.

Both BLACK PANTHER and NWH are phenomenal runs. They’re also MCU films and massive IPs. 

TGM is a different best and arguably yielded the biggest movie star opening of all time. The first Top Gun is a Tom Cruise branded star vehicle. TGM is of course a sequel, but the IP here is essentially Cruise. It’s in a category of its own and in that respect, it’s more unique and perhaps special than BP of NWH. 

This is more akin to AVATAR which was one of a kind in being a wholly original project that banked on James Cameron’s and boundary pushing technicality. There are very few comps for that film and there are very few comps for TGM.

Previously, I’d say the biggest movie star opening belonged to Will Smith and I AM LEGEND. If you go down the opening weekend record list, the other records belong to sequels, IP, animated franchises etc… 

TGM is now in a league of its own. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

WB needs to drop the 45-day runs...   Some ppl are just gonna go "hmm HBO Max"  and not go to the theaters. 

That was a Kilar thing, now that he’s gone it may change. Zaslav seems to have made theatrical much more of a focus now for WB movies. 

32 minutes ago, excel1 said:

That would be TDK.

Eh... That's a stretch. They're way too different. Both T2 and Aliens are extremely hard R and extremely sci-fi. Dark Knight is to a Millennial what Batman is to a Gen X. I guess maybe you could say it's the Heat of the last generation but they're not super alike either. But, to me, Dark Knight a lot more like Heat and Dirty Harry than it is T2 or Aliens. But, really, it's best analog is what Burton's Batman was to Gen X. They even both have Batsy and Joker. Both were enormous popular with just about everyone and sold a bazillion tickets DOM too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

4 minutes ago, Moviedweeb said:

Previously, I’d say the biggest movie star opening belonged to Will Smith and I AM LEGEND.

I think I am Legend is maaaybe a stretch, because of both the status of the original novel and the passive-IP value of Zombies themselves - especially at that time.

I think Hancock ($103 5 Day) would be a pretty fair one though. Yeah, it's superhero so a passive-IP in the same way - but they weren't as dominant at the time and the film was pretty much sold on Smith.

• Like 1