EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

3 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

What are the reasons for why Disney gives Pixar larger budgets than they do for Disney Animation Studios? And have either studio's budgets been decreasing lately?

Maybe they roll the cost of R&D into these films? Possibly for some Hollywood accounting reasons.

9 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

What are the reasons for why Disney gives Pixar larger budgets than they do for Disney Animation Studios? And have either studio's budgets been decreasing lately?

IDK why Pixar gets higher budgets. WDAS is union and Pixar is not union but that's not an explanation.

We were so close to getting the first weekend ever with three $50M+ grossing films. If only TGM had been able to hold somewhat better last weekend (believe me, I'm not complaining, TGM's run has been more than exceptional).

This would have been the weekend to do it with Top Gun, Jurassic World, and Lightyear all potentially appealing to families/Dads for Father's Day.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

As long as you are recovering marketing cost I suppose getting a bonus theatrical revenue don't hurt. Day and date streaming is dumb and whoever is doing it is killing the business in long run.

Really isn't even a question at this point.

Whatever the reason(s) for Lightyear's relative underperformance (depending what your expectations were I guess), I really don't think a "big conservative backlash" hurt the movie that much financially. 

I live in what is probably Canada's most left-leaning city. And Top Gun kicked Lightyear's ASS today/tonight. All this online backlash is, for the most part, just that. Online.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Whatever the reason(s) for Lightyear's relative underperformance (depending what your expectations were I guess), I really don't think a "big conservative backlash" hurt the movie that much financially. 

I live in what is probably Canada's most left-leaning city. And Top Gun kicked Lightyear's ASS today/tonight. All this online backlash is, for the most part, just that. Online.

I just really hope the media and Disney don’t incorrectly attribute this movie failing to “homophobes rejecting our progressive ideologies.” I can think of at least five major reasons this film is doomed to fail and a one-second kiss is definitely not one of them.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Lmao just saw some people on reddit using LY as an excuse to say BP2 will underperform and open with 65M.

On r/boxoffice? I hardly use that place anymore but gotta check this out. 

So they are actually being serious, LMAO. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's definitely a Kosinski vs Cruise and Mcquarrie debate to be had about who is the actual driving creative force behind Top Gun 2

Tron: Legacy and Oblivion are cult classics, I feel like showing him having one L means he's not good actually and everyone else is why his stuff was received well's a weird take imo. (Less directed to you, more the tweet)

• Like 1

Lightyear is, in all honesty, an original sci-fi movie. Call it a Toy Story spin-off or whatever, but beyond the framing device it has virtually nothing to do with that franchise. Sci-fi in general has, aside from Marvel and Dune, been box office poison this millennium. Hell, Disney's own Atlantis and Treasure Planet were major contributors to Disney's downfall in the 2000s. We should have all seen this underperformance coming. But hindsight is 20/20.

Either way, Pixar's brand name has been devalued. There's no way around it. 3 Pixar movies in a row being sent direct to video caused that. Hopefully their unannounced movies build the brand back up, because I frankly don't see the generic-sounding Elemental doing all that well either (assuming Chapek doesn't just toss it to Plus).

The pressure's on for Illumination to deliver. If Minions 2 similarly underperforms then we're going to see layoffs and restructuring in the animation industry all over the board. You liked the 2015 butchering of DreamWorks, kids? Want to see it again?