Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They also have Peter Pan & Wendy coming, probably late this year. 

It isn't such a big IP but i'm sure it could compensate that being a really good movie if they send to theaters. 

I'm convinced it's gonna be great, Lowery is too good a director. But sadly it seems there's no chance getting out of D+

yeah that’s not getting changed. 

Pathetic though, whatever way anybody looks at it. Live action versions of two huge Disney animated movies, directed by Robert Zemeckis and David Lowery….free on tv. Lmao. 

I’d be going day one for both of these, but on tv - just a big old shrug of the shoulders from me. A Zemeckis Pinocchio with Hanks should have been a magical family event movie on the big screen. 

I know I keep saying it, but Disney are having an absolutely disastrous start to the 2020’s. Wtf are they doing? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

if Mulan got a regular theatrical release it would’ve been a massive bomb, and I remember everyone overpredicting the hell out of that movie before it got booted to disney+. no idea why Little Mermaid would have significantly more appeal than Mulan (they both adjust to roughly the same amount domestic). feels like a lot of the live action remake momentum was exhausted after the one two punch of Aladdin and Lion King in 2019, and it’s certainly a less popular movie than either of those. this is an absurdly large range but anywhere between Dumbo and Cinderella numbers feels right to me.

Using domestic grosses to compare what remakes will be better feels super disingenuous and ignores the bigger picture. Sure Mermaid and Mulan adjust to the same, but outside of the fact Little Mermaid debuted at a time when Disney and their animated features were in a terrible state financially, Little Mermaid outclasses Mulan by all regards. It had better reviews than Mulan, performed way better on home video than Mulan, has a much greater theme park presence than Mulan, has likely sold way more merchandise compared to Mulan, and so on. Little Mermaid is and always has been a bigger deal than Mulan and using just box office is ignoring a lot of other reasons that shows why Little Mermaid is such a big deal and an iconic staple of the Disney Renaissance and why people are predicting big things for it.

• Like 3

Just now, Eric the Minion said:

Using domestic grosses to compare what remakes will be better feels super disingenuous and ignores the bigger picture. Sure Mermaid and Mulan adjust to the same, but outside of the fact Little Mermaid debuted at a time when Disney and their animated features were in a terrible state financially, Little Mermaid outclasses Mulan by all regards. It had better reviews than Mulan, performed way better on home video than Mulan, has a much greater theme park presence than Mulan, has likely sold way more merchandise compared to Mulan, and so on. Little Mermaid is and always has been a bigger deal than Mulan and using just box office is ignoring a lot of other reasons that shows why Little Mermaid is such a big deal and an iconic staple of the Disney Renaissance and why people are predicting big things for it.

the vibes are off

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

yeah that’s not getting changed. 

Pathetic though, whatever way anybody looks at it. Live action versions of two huge Disney animated movies, directed by Robert Zemeckis and David Lowery….free on tv. Lmao. 

I’d be going day one for both of these, but on tv - just a big old shrug of the shoulders from me. A Zemeckis Pinocchio with Hanks should have been a magical family event movie on the big screen. 

I know I keep saying it, but Disney are having an absolutely disastrous start to the 2020’s. Wtf are they doing? 

To be fair, Zemeckis has been on a flop run for most of the past 20 years (The Witches '20, anyone?). The Polar Express and Flight are probably the only things he's put out during that time that can be considered hits on any level. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

So happy for Minions. My son loves those little guys. Somehow he can sometimes  make out what they’re saying. We’re going to see it this weekend. Clearly, Universal made the right call holding off on its release. This is vindication that Gru and his minions are still a huge draw. 

• Thanks 1

"In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, audiences gave Rise of Gru a very good 87% positive, 71% recommend while kids under 12 gave it an 86% positive, 62% recommend. Mom leaning, as we expected with 51% females, 75% under 25, and 13-17 year olds coming out at 43% (more on that in a bit)."

HOLY SH&T at that number!  https://deadline.com/2022/07/minions-rise-of-gru-box-office-1235055270/

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

agree. Little Mermaid is Aladdin/Beast/Lion King level.  Mulan isn’t in their league of IP level. 

Other Minion demos in the norm...again from Deadline...

"Diversity demos for Rise of Gru were 35% Caucasian, 35% Latino and Hispanic, 12% Black, and 18% Asian/other. Coasts and the South Central were coming up strong, though the Chris Melendandri produced movie is playing everywhere with seven of the top ten theaters in Los Angeles. Premium large format screens are driving 23% of Rise of Gru‘s gross to date."

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Zemeckis has been on a flop run for most of the past 20 years (The Witches '20, anyone?). The Polar Express and Flight are probably the only things he's put out during that time that can be considered hits on any level. 

he’s still about as big a director for this kind of thing as any other. This is a major movie for Disney, and a live action version of arguably their greatest film. Straight to tv.  Maddens me no end. 

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

the vibes are off

Fair. That’s kind of part of my justification for SpiderVerse 2 doing under the first, other than the competition being too much for it.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

"In Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits, audiences gave Rise of Gru a very good 87% positive, 71% recommend while kids under 12 gave it an 86% positive, 62% recommend. Mom leaning, as we expected with 51% females, 75% under 25, and 13-17 year olds coming out at 43% (more on that in a bit)."

HOLY SH&T at that number!  https://deadline.com/2022/07/minions-rise-of-gru-box-office-1235055270/

No wonder TGM and Elvis seem not affected, a different target demo. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Spider-Verse (and Transformers) are gonna get slaughtered if they don't move (assuming Flash stays put)

It’s the opposite. Flash is the one that gonna slaughtered by ATSV lol. As for Transformers, it will just do as expected. Decline from previous entries.

• ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's older teens who do genuinely want to see the minions movie but they're a little embarrassed about it because it's a movie for babies so they've turned seeing it into a meme. there i solved it.

Could be true, my college friends and I would always plan in groups to watch animation films together so we're not embarrassed being the only few 2 or 3 people in a crowd of parents and children.

5 minutes ago, Claudio said:

It’s the opposite. Flash is the one that gonna slaughtered by ATSV lol. As for Transformers, it will just do as expected. Decline from previous entries.

I think Transformers will be big OS, as for Flash I think the floor for it is higher than SpiderVerse because of live action and slight nostalgia but due to Ezra, it now has a much lower ceiling.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure every attempt by Hollywood in milking the Peter Pan IP on the big screen to no success (even Hook's gross was viewed as semi-disappointing upon release considering the insane amount of talent involved) is what caused them to just make it into a + exclusive.

I was surprised to learn that Hook was considered a financial disappointment, and that it was so poorly received by critics. I fucking love that film.