Eric is Anxious

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

I find it SO interesting how Sony marketed No Way Home compared to Disney's handling of Strange and Thor. No Way Home revealed almost nothing after what happens in the first 30 minutes and that ignited this lightning-in-a-bottle fervor of people debating if Tobey and Andrew were in the movie, how they'd be in the movie, etc. Less was so much more there. Strange attaches a full trailer to the end of No Way Home and uses Patrick Stewart's voice in the second trailer because they know promising a comparable experience to the "ZOMG" multiverse appearances of No Way Home will get the most butts in seats, and because that movie has relatively little interest in the multiverse audiences are largely displeased. And as someone who unfortunately knows too much about all these movies before I see them, I still watched that first Love & Thunder trailer and presumed the whole thing was gonna be a Guardians team-up movie. The end of Endgame suggests that kind of story, so why not? The second trailer corrects that, but if you only saw the first trailer in front of Doctor Strange, you'd probably be a little confused that they're given nothing to do and leave by minute 20 or so.

So yes, I think this Thor opening is phenomenal for the laziest MCU marketing campaign since Iron Man 2. It shows how much people loved what they did with his character from Ragnarok through Endgame. And like Iron Man 2, it basically matched Ragnarok's opening adjusted for inflation and will barely crest over the last one's gross. At best audiences will find this one forgettable but enjoyable. At worst they'll be actively disappointed by the marketing campaign's vague misdirect, or how much flatter the comedy is than Ragnarok, or the weird tonal shifts this movie probably wisely never tried to reflect in its marketing.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

200.gif

Yeah. Ha! I was a little older than all these guys when I joined this forum... In 2013.

Other "old" people here will remember waiting to get box office news Entertainment Weekly whenever I got the physical magazine in the mail when I was kid. Haha. I remember I loved the summer blockbuster edition. My friends and I would discuss the movies and box office projections in it for weeks and weeks before the summer movies started releasing. I was a HS FR when Phantom Menance dropped. Remember literally camping out on concrete outside some crap theater to get tickets.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

55 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Thor 4 literally had nothing except increase in popularity of Thor in its favor.

Ragnarok itself had a big opening due to not being a solo movie, it had Hulk, trailers were excellent, trailers had big moments to attract audience like Hela breaking the hammer, Thor vs Hulk.

Infact Thor vs Hulk was the biggest factor there. 

Thor L&T had Thor after IW & Ragnarok's reception, but trailers were lackluster, not much of a hook to entice audience, marketing was downer, literally everyone knew GOTG won't be in movie except for some minutes and Jane isn't Hulk.

And Ragnarok was the last movie before Infinity War..... Thor 4 was just a standalone adventure. 

ok but why was no one saying this before the movie came out? 

21 Here.

SM1 is better than A LOT of present day superhero flicks

Not to mention SM2 being much better than every MCU movie, maybe sans CA:TWS and A:IW. To me it's the peak of superhero movies, never again have I seen a protagonist in that genre been beat up by life so badly and have to use their mental strength as much as their super-strength to the extend that Tobey's Spiderman did in SM2.

Imho I'd watch the original SM trilogy more eagerly than any other set of superhero movies.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Insisting having appreciation for older art is strictly and only some "old person thing" is very arrogant and insular thinking. Obviously some people live in the past too fondly, but it's just about respecting and understanding history. Something being old doesn't make it worse and vice versa. There's a reason why many things in the past have had such lasting impression

yeah I was a precocious kid who liked to watch older "classic" movies when I was like 12. But there is a type where people are only into current things. And current things really are marketing to people who are under 30 or so.

Exactly. And those people who think 140m OW is close to a near disaster are a bit disingenuous, pretending 1) that the market is fully recovered 2) that they didn't see the reviews before the opening. Once the mixed WoM polls were out, surely everyone adjusted their predictions to a lower amount. Now if you argue that its total will be underwhelming, that's a different thing, but you can never call a franchise best opening disappointing, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Exactly. And those people who think 140m OW is close to a near disaster are a bit disingenuous, pretending 1) that the market is fully recovered 2) that they didn't see the reviews before the opening. Once the mixed WoM polls were out, surely everyone adjusted their predictions to a lower amount. Now if you argue that its total will be underwhelming, that's a different thing, but you can never call a franchise best opening disappointing, 

I feel like people throw around the "market hasn't fully recovered!" narrative when a movie they like underwhelms.

It's safe to say we're at 2019 levels

What a great weekend for Thor. I'm so happy that we are still getting huge box office numbers. This time last year I really thought cinemas might be dead forever.