The Wild Eric

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

1 hour ago, Driver said:

Near Greatness:

FATWS

WandaVision

Decent But Flawed:

Loki

Hawkeye

Disappointing:

Moon Knight

I'll stan for FATWS. Somebody has to. It's the only one of these shows that tackles real-world issues and doesn't feel like a Disney show on occasion. 

I'm looking forward to She-Hulk, if only for Murdock and the lawyer sitcom gimmick. But watch them abandon that gimmick in the last two episodes for bombastic action. 

Loki is easily the best for me. Concept, characters, acting, writing, the whole production as cinematogrpahy and score... for me is the best Phase Four projetc. The second one is Love and Thunder.

Hope it does well, i already need Thor 5.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Thor needs Loki. There, I said it. It's one of MCU most beloved dynamics. Separating them was a mistake which is felt here and on Loki. Their dynamic held all Thor movies together. There's nothing to hold L&T together. It isn't Taikia's excess - the movie isn't that excessive to begin with. 

I do think Thor and Loki barely held Dark World together from being a complete and utter bore, but the franchise has enough fun characters to move beyond that. Like if this movie put any effort into Thor and Val’s friendship or gave more screentime to Jane and Val, it would’ve been fun. 

21 hours ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

Is F4 really a big brand? I mean, I think it'll be plenty big in the MCU but it's never translated well or made good money in any of its other incarnations. 

As for X-Men, I think they're just putting enough distance between the previous franchise because there was so many films made in that series. 

Between SDCC and D23, I expect we will get info about both properties. 

F4 was huge in the Marvel Universe until the early 2000's.

It did translate well to TV; the animated F4 series were very sucessful.

Yes, it has had bad luck with the movies, but I see no reason why it should not be a big hit if done properly,...problem is not with the material but that it was badly handled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Yes, because it’s a teen girl show (that my kids just aren’t interested in watching 🤷‍♂️). It’s geared toward family viewing, less single adults (especially men), which limits viewing pool to a degree. An MCU version of a Disney Channel series 

I see that at home. It's a teen girl show from a bygone era that doesn't resonate with teens today. It isn't Euphoria. it isn't even Stranger Things. It's too chaste and with barely any teen struggle because it isn't really about teens. It's a culture show like Shtisel and Little Mosque On a Prairie but without self-depricating humor and critique that made those shows so popular. It's an idealized world that's more "this is how we want you to see us" rather than "this is how we are". That wears thin quickly and on a show whose main draw is still SH, it's no incentive to fans of SH. And as it turned out, once they had to finally handle SH, it was terrible. So glowing reviews may be for first 2 episodes which were charming and bubbly and made eevrything look fresh, but very doubtful that Ep 4 and 5 would even sniff 70% let alone 98%. It's yet another TV movie that got stretched into a series but this time without showrunners interst in SH part of the story.

9 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I do think Thor and Loki barely held Dark World together from being a complete and utter bore, but the franchise has enough fun characters to move beyond that. Like if this movie put any effort into Thor and Val’s friendship or gave more screentime to Jane and Val, it would’ve been fun. 

While I agree that other realtionships should be developed, some things are just irreplacable. It's hard for Thor and Val to have that kind of dynmaic when she is basically a placeholder of Asgard until Marvel decides they are done with Thor and allow him to fulfill his destiny and take Bebbenburgh, er, Asgard throne. That's the only reason why he has to repeat the self-discovery arc over and over. Once he becomes the worthy king, his story is over. Until then, Val holds the place for him.

Jane and val cannot hold a movie about Thor together because they are secodnary characters. Screentime increase wouldn't help because it isn't the main dynamic. 

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I see that at home. It's a teen girl show from a bygone era that doesn't resonate with teens today. It isn't Euphoria. it isn't even Stranger Things. It's too chaste and with barely any teen struggle because it isn't really about teens. It's a culture show like Shtisel and Little Mosque On a Prairie but without self-depricating humor and critique that made those shows so popular. It's an idealized world that's more "this is how we want you to see us" rather than "this is how we are". That wears thin quickly and on a show whose main draw is still SH, it's no incentive to fans of SH. And as it turned out, once they had to finally handle SH, it was terrible. So glowing reviews may be for first 2 episodes which were charming and bubbly and made eevrything look fresh, but very doubtful that Ep 4 and 5 would even sniff 70% let alone 98%. It's yet another TV movie that got stretched into a series but this time without showrunners interst in SH part of the story.

Have you ever seen something different from this on an american blockbuster movie?. 

Stanger things presents also a plastic idealized word, it's a success cause it's good. Marvel tv series are not. 

Edited by vale9001

29 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I quit watching the MCU shows after Moon Knight tbh.

I like stuff like Legion and Daredevil. The rest of this Marvel TV stuff is just generic filler to me.

I already have a long list of shows I want to watch but lack the time like The Boys, Westworld, American Gods and Watchmen. 

I still have to watch Legion, but great taste if Daredevil has been your favorite Marvel TV,

In the process of watching The Boys Season 3 - if you don't mind raunch, it's another great season - I think I like it much better than season 2, but we'll see if they stick the landing (I've got 2 episodes to go, hopefully finishing by Sunday).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I still have to watch Legion, but great taste if Daredevil has been your favorite Marvel TV,

In the process of watching The Boys Season 3 - if you don't mind raunch, it's another great season - I think I like it much better than season 2, but we'll see if they stick the landing (I've got 2 episodes to go, hopefully finishing by Sunday).

Yeah these Soldier Boy gifs on social media are too funny.

Makes me wanna see it even more. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Top Gun: Maverick made $2.85m on Thursday.  It is at $582m going into this weekend.  

With that Thursday number, should be enough to hit around $17m+ and $600m will be passed either by Sunday night or Monday night.  

After this weekend with nothing huge coming out and its rewatchability and theatrical window, 30% drops or so should be the norm for it on the weekend.  

Has at least $50m+ in weekends going forward and the likely expansion on Labor Day.  Older skewing movie with summer weekdays feeding it as well.  

I am declaring $700m+ locked.  Enjoy the run.  

This is the kind of overzealous analysis that makes even the most incredible run seem disappointing to some people. 

You are literally declaring that TGM is locked to have a multiplier of at least 7 from this weekend. Obviously wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Best MCU show good, at least

Last few episodes haven't been quite as good but, yeah, I think it's the best Disney+ Marvel series to far too. By kind of a lot actually.

As someone else mentioned, first two episodes were especially good and that's all critics were given so that's why it's 98% or whatever it is...

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Last few episodes haven't been quite as good but, yeah, I think it's the best Disney+ Marvel series to far too. By kind of a lot actually.

As someone else mentioned, first two episodes were especially good and that's all critics were given so that's why it's 98% or whatever it is...

I'd go so far

Ms Marvel

Hawkeye

What If

Loki, I guess

Wandavision, really shit the bed

Moon Knight

Falcon and Winter Soldier

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

tbh I'm actually someone who hopes the MCU falters because I have no interest in them and I wish Disney was funding almost anything else.

Like animated furry movies?