charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

16 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

What the worst starwars movie for you?

Mine is AOTC but this came pretty close to toping it but the laughs I had at the stupidity gave it the edge.

Ranking

ESB

Rouge one

Revenge of the sith

Force awakens

Return of the jedi

A new hope.

Solo

TLJ

Phantom menace

TROS

AOTC

the prequels are just boring garbage sludge. I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, really.

The 1977 Star Wars suffers because every line is a meme now.

Haven't watched Empire Strikes Back in a bit. Return of the Jedi used to be my favorite, when I was a kid.

I liked TFA and Last Jedi very much, though. So overall Rise of Skywalker is my least favorite.

13 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Omg can not believe with my own two eyes that I'm seeing a Reddevil post in 2022. 

Have been blessed today

Hahaha, indeed. 

My impulse control has been fantastic over the last couple of years. I stay off Facebook (to the point where I don't even know when someone's birthday is anymore, and I come across as a recluse), mostly off twitter (and never comment even if I read some tweets), don't comment on forums or reddit, and I resort to venting my work frustration by writing insanely long and u hinged emails which I then delete before sending shorter, more subtle ones. 

But the fall of EC was too much even for me and I had to say "present" - I need posterity to record my being a witness to this long-coming meltdown. 

Anyway, on to a bit of box office - I know the rest of the summer is barren, but I just don't get the argument that it's going to be of much help to Thor, if it's truly not widely liked by audiences (despite my hatred for it, I can acknowledge that it's far from universally despised, just perhaps not beloved). Given the change in customer behaviour, the expected drop on Disney+ around early Sep and adding a possible lack of enthusiasm for the movie, I just don't see the lack of competition as being more than a small help in its multiplier.

If a movie I have no interest in is the only thing playing, I'm just not going to the cinema. And with the way we consume media right now, I can't believe I'd be the only one that thinks that way. I think this is even more relevant for repeat viewings, which is a big factor for fan-driven films. I dunno, guess the next 10 days or so will paint a better picture, but I just don't expect Thor to have considerably better-than-its-cinemascore legs just because there's little else playing. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

What the worst starwars movie for you?

Mine is AOTC but this came pretty close to toping it but the laughs I had at the stupidity gave it the edge.

Ranking

ESB

Rouge one

Revenge of the sith

Force awakens

Return of the jedi

A new hope.

Solo

TLJ

Phantom menace

TROS

AOTC

1. Star Wars, TESB, RotJ, RotS, Rogue One = all at 1st, love'em

2. Attack of the Clones

3. The Phantom Menace

---------------------------------------------

4. Solo

5. The Force Awakens

6. The Last Jedi

7&8. Skywalker / Obi-Wan Series = shit

For me Rogue One is the only SW thing from Disney that matters. The rest is #notmycanon

Lert's face it, based on quality SW is a trash franchise right now. More garbage films than good and very little greatness. Since the original trilogy apart from Rogue One all the films are bad. Force Awakens and Sith were watchable, the rest are not bearable. So that's 1 great film out of 8, only 3 watchable movies out of 8 and 5 out of 8 total trainwreck. Franchise needs a break and fresh pair of eyes.  Sad part is that it is the total truth and unbiased view, I was there on OD for all the films. Knew Disney's takeover was kiss of death concerning quality.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So any thread after going through anything is gonna end with a Star Wars ranking. Huh. 

Well done @Porthos

@Gopher started it. He said the three letter word . This thread including myself can't help ourselves but chime in😅.

Thread has  kind of been meandering without EC early numbers.

Any WED numbers?

So i watched Force Awakens and free minutes of New Hope and have no further interest in Star Wars but I'm certainly interested to know 2 things about Star Wars.

1.) Why was TLJ so hated by SW fans?

2.) Is TROS as a finale more disappointing than GOT Season 8?

• Like 1

I miss the days where people would be able to debate each other - and even if things got heated, it wouldn't result in banning always. People have become so accustomed to banning and vilifying everyone here since 2017, it's ridiculous. Granted, I'm posting while on page 12...so do not know what has happened after that but will continue reading. It's just annoying that people get banned here so quickly - and banned because they do not want to accept another person's point of view. 

20 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Just want to point out one more thing. I saw people commenting that they dont see what is wrong with many EC posts. That is because most of the bad posts are hidden by mods before giving a warning. That is why you don’t see some of the more problematic posts. 

For instance one of the warnings EC got was for telling some forum users to get fucked by a huge baseball bat. You won’t see that post because it was hidden. 

And lastly just to clarify EC did not get suspended for his posts in the weekend thread. He got suspended for reaching 10 points which he accumulated across many weeks. 

Fair enough. I did not see the threats of violence. If that's the case, he can fuck right off.

11 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

So i watched Force Awakens and free minutes of New Hope and have no further interest in Star Wars but I'm certainly interested to know 2 things about Star Wars.

Without you actually watching the entire saga it's probably difficult to understand, as I think the answers to your questions will vary wildly depending in who you ask.

I don't consider myself a huge fan, but TLJ was disappointing to me because it was spinning its wheels for the most part, the humor didn't land, the action was pretty bad, most of the characters had nothing to do, so you had an a, b and c plot and it actually felt like a bad sitcom because of that, and RJ went too far in subverting expectations. When nothing matters and you undo everything set up before that (whether or not it was badly set up), you end up with something that has no room to go anywhere. You have essentially killed off any excitement for the future. So you get an unsatisfying movie by itself, that also feels definitive in the way it shuts down your curiosity about where it will go next. 

And no, I don't think that TroS is as bad a finale, because so much of what came before it was mediocre at best. With GoT, even with the quality deterioration over seasons 5-7, it was still above average and all it needed to cement its status as iconic was not to shit the bed in the last season, which is exactly what happened as it proceeded to evacuate its bowels of Dothraki horse manure all over the whole furniture. TroS was more of a shrug. A whimper. A fart in the wind. Easily ignored and forgotten. 

40 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

1). The Last Jedi was hated by a big portion of SW fans because it had a ton of elements that either completely work for you or they dont. For example, Luke beeing a grumpy old man not wanting to do anything to save the galaxy in the beginning and literally tossing away his lightsaber. Many fans HATED the portrayal of Luke and felt like they completely ruined his character. Also, a whole sequence (Canto Bight) is hated for beeing unneccessary, people hated the humour in it, they hated Roses Character and wanted more out of Snokes Character.

OTOH, you can argue at the same time that grumpy old Luke is a fresh take on the character and was also pretty much the logical way for him after what weve seen in TFA. Fans of Last Jedi also really like his final moments and his death as well as the symbolic meaning of it. Fans of the film also enjoy the overall themes of failure beeing the best teacher, Reys parents beeing nobodys and cool sequences like Holdos sacrifice.

And thats what it is: People hate and love The Last Jedi for the same reasons which is why any discussion about it derails and gets heated pretty much instantly. In my personal opinion, the film has a ton of flaws and i like it less as the years go by but i still extremely respect Rian Johnson for what he tried to do with the film and i will never hate it. After all, its a stupid movie about space wizards. Ive got other things to actually hate, like ... war or the climate crisis and stuff.

2) No, but thats also just my opinion since i was really invested in GoT and when Season 8 came around to shit on every single detail that made the series good and presented itself like the massive, unhinged TURD it was, i felt robbed and pretty angry honestly. Rise of Skywalker just made me laugh.

"Somehow Palpatine returned!"

"I am ALL of the Jedi!"

"My name is Rey ... SKYWALKER"

I mean, its a comedy.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Why was TLJ so hated by SW fans?

I think they think it ruined their childhood.

47 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Is TROS as a finale more disappointing than GOT Season 8?

SW doesn't reach the highs of GoT. So TROS disappointing doesn't feel much to me personally.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

TLJ is divisive among ST fans. The movie has lots of issues for me.

But the  major issue  I think boils down to what was done to luke skywalker character. 

I agree and didn't like how his character was portrayed and how rushed it was ,

But

The toxic side boils it down to movie is "woke" which can get annoying.

Just think luke skywalker though a great idea on paper wasn't particularly well written.

He just spends the whole movie heaping blame on the jedi but it's his fault that kylo turned 

Which turns him into a pathetic coward instead of the old jedi who has learned the flaws of the jedi he is trying to come off as.

The fact he thinks of killing kylo the son of his best friends he fought with  in the rebellion for just bad thoughts and kylo has done nothing yet is just bad writing. 

The fact this is given to us in tWo short flashbacks is frustrating.

Rian johnson wanted luke to be a hermit man for his story  but didn't want to take time to flesh out his turn and decisions.

Luke in the OT was heavily invested in his friends and was very conflicted with darth being his father and chooses to believe in the good side despite him being the empire's enforcer.

The fact he sits on a planet with leia and han struggling with fighting the first order and he just bubbles on about the jedi when it's his fault is just 180 character turn and two lazy flashbacks are not sufficient to justify it IMO.

TLJ proritizes theme over substance and characters.

Rian didn't care about the characters and their histories and as a result both old and new characters in this are significantly halted .

Nothing will be as bad as GOT S8. That was straight up garbage that kills everything good about the show.

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

1). The Last Jedi was hated by a big portion of SW fans because it had a ton of elements that either completely work for you or they dont. For example, Luke beeing a grumpy old man not wanting to do anything to save the galaxy in the beginning and literally tossing away his lightsaber. Many fans HATED the portrayal of Luke and felt like they completely ruined his character. Also, a whole sequence (Canto Bight) is hated for beeing unneccessary, people hated the humour in it, they hated Roses Character and wanted more out of Snokes Character.

OTOH, you can argue at the same time that grumpy old Luke is a fresh take on the character and was also pretty much the logical way for him after what weve seen in TFA. Fans of Last Jedi also really like his final moments and his death as well as the symbolic meaning of it. Fans of the film also enjoy the overall themes of failure beeing the best teacher, Reys parents beeing nobodys and cool sequences like Holdos sacrifice.

And thats what it is: People hate and love The Last Jedi for the same reasons which is why any discussion about it derails and gets heated pretty much instantly. In my personal opinion, the film has a ton of flaws and i like it less as the years go by but i still extremely respect Rian Johnson for what he tried to do with the film and i will never hate it. After all, its a stupid movie about space wizards. Ive got other things to actually hate, like ... war or the climate crisis and stuff.

2) No, but thats also just my opinion since i was really invested in GoT and when Season 8 came around to shit on every single detail that made the series good and presented itself like the massive, unhinged TURD it was, i felt robbed and pretty angry honestly. Rise of Skywalker just made me laugh.

"Somehow Palpatine returned!"

"I am ALL of the Jedi!"

"My name is Rey ... SKYWALKER"

I mean, its a comedy.

I know I'm off topic, but, having only followed GoT in later seasons, can you please explain to me in a few words what exactly was the issue/big disappointment with Season 8? Did audiences want a more cynical ending, with Cersei winning? As I see it, the (fan favorite) Starks emerged victorious, the incestuous siblings got what was coming to them, Daenerys got corrupted by power (it happens, why was it such a problem?) and Jon Snow was exiled beyond the Wall and off to his spin- off series.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Because only cool kids love TLJ. Not every SW fan is a cool kid. 😎 

5 hours ago, Gopher said:

Hmm. I do love this momentum this thread has going on. Definitely unique for these boards. I wonder if we can keep all this back and forth up somehow.

Anyway, I just saw this newer movie and I liked it a lot. It's called Star Wars: The Last Jedi. What did you guys think of it?

Baiting with Episode 8 huh

EayyIxr.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I know I'm off topic, but, having only followed GoT in later seasons, can you please explain to me in a few words what exactly was the issue/big disappointment with Season 8? Did audiences want a more cynical ending, with Cersei winning? As I see it, the (fan favorite) Starks emerged victorious, the incestuous siblings got what was coming to them, Daenerys got corrupted by power (it happens, why was it such a problem?) and Jon Snow was exiled beyond the Wall and off to his spin- off series.

Oh boy breaking down why it's bad would require an essay.

To summarize it characters make choices that contradict who they are and as they were established.

The long night episode was a fucking disaster world building wise and has some of the dumbest tactics I have ever seen. The fact it's GOT which is filled with lots of intelligent  and cunning characters  and the insane plot armour  which goes against what GOT was .makes it all the more insulting. 

Last episode was just a big fuck you to the fans.

" Who has a greater story than bran the broken!!!🤣🤣🤣.

And yeah lots of pathetic deaths.

• Like 3