charlie Jatinder

11-14 Weekday Thread | Featuring Future BOFFY Award Winning Meltdown of Our Fallen False God

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Speaking of non-MCU fanbases with toxic fanbases and long Box Office Mojo histories, I thought the new Lord of the Rings trailer today kicked ass. And I thought the first teaser looked dogshit, so that's a big turnaround. I've gone from skeptical to cautiously optimistic.

Been actively avoiding it (been doing that with most movies and shows over the last couple of years - maybe a teaser, but the more material they release, the more I avoid it), but I've now heard from numerous people that it looks good, so fingers crossed.

Black widow added 2.02x d4-d10, so 220 d10 cume -> 297.5 or so. Thor could easily be worse than that. “Locked” is me meming. Safe to say that whenever I use that word in the near future it will be for things that are not locked.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Anecdotal yes, but on my social media timeline, Strange 2, while full of dissenting opinions, definitely had some supporters around me, especially Raimi fans. I don't see any vouching for Love and Thunder around me, even from the Taika fans I follow. Plus L&T was the first time I ever saw my dad say he disliked a Marvel movie (granted he hasn't seen Eternals yet). And he likes anything with sci-fi or fantasy stuff in it.

And even outside of that, Strange 2's RT Verified score is 85%, while L&T is already down to 80%. Posttrak has Strange 2 had four stars, while L&T is 3.5 stars. It's not looking good at all here.

Said this previously, but I think the difference is in who dislikes it and why. Strange was seen by some as letdown from advertising, turning off fans, and subject material that limited the GA appeal, especially families. Generally better WOM, but from a then reduced audience pool

Thor seems to have worse reception with fans in terms of quality, which is why its dailies are falling down so quickly, but the slapstick rather than scary tone is more palatable with GA/families, which could help the legs/soften drops in the longer run. As a parent, I've sat through many a terrible animated movie just to get kids out of the house for a few hours

Agree with others a bad second weekend is incoming, but doesn't necessarily mean precipitous drops will continue

5 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Black widow added 2.02x d4-d10, so 220 d10 cume -> 297.5 or so. Thor could easily be worse than that. “Locked” is me meming. Safe to say that whenever I use that word in the near future it will be for things that are not locked.

220 will need just 33M 2nd weekend. I think safe to assume that ain't happening.

I am thinking around 85M D4-10 and another 95M or so after that for something around 325.

300 is in fact LOCKED I believe.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

220 will need just 33M 2nd weekend.

Eric LIED to me (or probably just a typo).  

Yeah so even very pessimistically, 40 2nd weekend, 227 cume, add 90% (mcu worst, aeg/hulk) is 302.   

very very likely, but not “locked” ;) 

59 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

I mean considering how disastrous today's Wednesday number is looking, we're probably only getting like, what, a 41M weekend? That's already a gargantuan 72% drop. By the 10-day, we're likely getting 219M. Following Doctor Strange 2 takes us all the way to 307.6M. Week 3 will also be another gargantuan drop for the film because it'll lose all its PLFs to Nope, and pretty much everything drops like a rock when they lose their PLFs. Plus reception is worse than Strange 2, so even with zero competition, nobody will want to see it or will just wait for it to be on Disney+ on September 9. It's a real "everything goes wrong" situation, sure. But sub-300 really isn't that crazy since there's really nothing going for this movie at the moment.

Count me as one of the guys who's going to wait for it to come on disney. I haven't really been a big fan of the other three Thor solo movies. I can't see myself enjoying this one so I will definitely wait but if it has a 70% drop this weekend I don't think it's going to hit 300 either.

6 minutes ago, James said:

This looks so good wow. 

Its insane to me that TV shows are looking like actual movies. Granted, its the most expensive show ever made but still.

I looks amazing, yes.

However im on the fence for it until i witness the story and dialogue. LOTR is very dear to my heart and this show has an uphill battle coming for it. As long as it honors Tolkiens work and world though, ill be happy. If its story and characters come close to the visuals in this trailer, ill be extremely happy.

But im cautious.

• Like 5

If Thor really ends with a little bit more than a 10X from previews (!!!) Disney really should be afraid of the impact of Disney plus policy on Marvel Movies. It's like going in the first 2 weeks or wait for the free.

I know both Thor and DS2 got bad cinemascore and WOM but still they didn't have any big competition.  

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, James said:

This looks so good wow. 

Its insane to me that TV shows are looking like actual movies. Granted, its the most expensive show ever made but still.

It's insane to me that Lord of the rings came out more than 20 years ago now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, parkerthegreat said:

I think I need to know what movie this is from.

iZombie, series, not movie. Wasn’t bad