grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, lab276 said:

BOM schedule saying Marcel was going wide this week. Has the definition of wide changed?

@filmlover mentioned it as well, but A24 changed expansion plans. They have a tendency to not be as clear with reporting location counts until the day before release... and sometimes even then we have to ask directly. Just one of the quirks of still being an indie studio with fewer resources and less infrastructure than a major.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

If you are gonna drop $200 million on a movie then a 45 day theatrical release should go along with it, i genuinely cannot imagine Gray Man is getting Netflix any subscription increases of any significance

That budget is 10M subs at premium pricing ($19.99), 14M at standard ($15.49). I just don’t understand the ROI calculations that go into greenlighting the expenditure 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

The Greatest Showman has a 56% on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning more than half of critics appreciated it for its sentimentality. Pretty Woman has a fresh 65%, Ghost has a certified fresh 75%, The Notebook has a slightly-more-than-half 53%.

Crawdads has a 34%. So even if it IS affected by anti-sentimentality bias (even if I would say there are plenty of unapologetically sentimental movies that critics straight up loved), it's still far below the other movies you mentioned as being unfairly judged for their sentimentality. A fair number of critics who enjoyed the aforementioned movies disliked this one.

Also, on the point of your parenthetical reference to male critics: by my quick count, the number of women and nonbinary critics who disliked the film is still solidly more than those that liked it. Male critics may have disliked it slightly more (though I don't think the sample size of women/NB critics is enough to conclude that), but either way less than half enjoyed it.

I was talking about metacritic and the numbers are what i said. I'm talking about hyper sentimental commercial movies and comedies. The bias between this kind of commercial movies and other genres more appealing to men is for me really a thing.

Anyways you got some other interesting points but and i would like to discuss some of them but apparently this is not the right place for this kind of discussions, too much smartest moderators  with the avatar of thor. 

Edited by vale9001

14 hours ago, baumer said:

Off topic here....sorry but I'm watching it chapter 2. I remember seeing it when it first came out and I was massively disappointed in it because it's so far away from the tone of the book. It's almost 3 hours long and I'm about 2 hours into it and I kind of appreciate it a little bit more. I still think they could have done a better job with the adult story but I kind of understand a little bit why they made some of the decisions that they did.

It's still not a great movie but it's definitely better now that I've had a few years to get over my disappointment LOL

I love It Part 2. The two films are great and found the second part to be a very satisfying ending to their stories.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I was talking about metacritic and the numbers are what i said. I'm talking about hyper sentimental commercial movies and comedies. The bias between this kind of commercial movies and other genres more appealing to men is for me really a thing.

Anyways you got some other interesting points but and i would like to discuss some of them but apparently this is not the right place for this kind of discussions, too much smartest moderators  with the avatar of thor. 

I never said you could not discuss this. If you want to argue this, you can. I just disagree and think “critics don’t get sentimentality UwU” is ridiculous and untrue. And I think I am allowed to believe this as much as you can believe otherwise

Let me open by saying this is NOT a DC vs Marvel comment... 

I just remember late last year and early this year WB being very confident in The Batman (and don't get me wrong, it's a solid movie), but that seemed to set high expectations which then got re-evaluated and the movie finally opened and performed decently for what it was (an overly-long detective story with little action for its runtime and at times plodding pacing) though still you had the feeling that money was left on the table because it wasn't a big crowd pleaser. Once that finished its run, never in a million years did I think that T4or would finish way behind it, or that it would be fairly close to JWD. I really can't see these two as anything but underwhelming performances. 

Dominion still strong worldwide and definitely not the worst case scenario all-in-all, mind you. 

Thor, though... Ya, on the face of it the numbers are OK, but with all the good will both for the brand and the character, if this barely beats Ragnarok dom and finishes at 700 WW after a 300+ opening, I really don't see how this is anything but underperforming. Like... Not quite BvS here, but especially if it's all down to the audiences being dissatisfied and wom being bad...some serious questions will need to be asked about what happened with this movie. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Many criticized me when I said Thor 4 wouldn't sniff $350m with people saying it had July weekdays to make things smooth. 

$335m-$340m is where it's heading. 

I suppose it can still stabilise, but I keep going back to the same line of thinking - if the wom ain't good and audiences aren't interested, then lack of competition and summer weekdays won't necessarily help, especially when it'll be on Disney+ in six weeks... 

Top 10 via Deadline

1.) Thor: Love and Thunder (Disney) 4,375 theaters, Fri. $13.8M (-80%), 3-day $46.5M (-68%)/Total $233.7M /Wk 2

2.) Minions: Rise of Gru (Uni) 4,111 theaters (-316), Fri $8.1M (-44%),  3-day $25.33M (-45%), Total: $261.8M/Wk 3

3.) Where the Crawdads Sings (Sony) 3,650 theaters, Fri $7.2M, 3-day $15.5M-$16M/Wk 1

4.) Top Gun: Maverick (Par) 3,292 (-221) theaters, Fri $3.4M (-24%), 3-day $11.7M (-24%), Total $617.6M/Wk 8

5.) Elvis (WB) 3,305 (-409) theaters, Fri $2.3M (-31%),  3-day $7.6M (-31%) Total $106.2M/Wk 4

6.) Paw of Fury (Par) 3,475 theaters, Fri $2.4M, 3-day $6.2M/Wk 1

7.) The Black Phone (Uni) 2,271 (-288) theaters, Fri $1.6M (-32%),  3-day $5.3M (-32%)/Total $72M/Wk 4

8.) Jurassic World Dominion (Uni) 2,647 (-604) theaters, Fri $1.4M (-43%), 3-day $4.9M (-43%), Total $359.6M/Wk 6

9.) Mrs. Harris Goes to Pari(Foc) 980 theatres, Fri $700K, 3-day $1.74M/Wk 1

10.) Lightyear (Dis) 1,350 (-740) theaters, Fri $395K (-58%), 3-day $1.22M (-60%),  Total $115.4M/Wk 5

11.) Marcel the Shell With Shoes On (A24) 153 theaters (+105), Fri $176,5K (+73%), 3-day $552,5K (+72%), Total $1.6M/Wk 4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

I never said you could not discuss this. If you want to argue this, you can. I just disagree and think “critics don’t get sentimentality UwU” is ridiculous and untrue. And I think I am allowed to believe this as much as you can believe otherwise

so you can write this instead of that trolling attitude you blame on others. That's flame, not a way to try to start a conversation.

Anyways the only true true true good reviews from Crawdads  (a 91 and 88 reviews) are from two women. Other women hated the movie and maybe for some different reasons. What is a fact without this two outstanding reviews that 45 on metacritic would be like a 30 . 

Edited by vale9001

13 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

I could be mistaken but if it joins the club, it’ll be the lowest opener to ever drop $100M.

Think so. Don't think anything below 140M has dropped 100M in it's second weekend because that would be a record fall.

23 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Let me open by saying this is NOT a DC vs Marvel comment... 

I just remember late last year and early this year WB being very confident in The Batman (and don't get me wrong, it's a solid movie), but that seemed to set high expectations which then got re-evaluated and the movie finally opened and performed decently for what it was (an overly-long detective story with little action for its runtime and at times plodding pacing) though still you had the feeling that money was left on the table because it wasn't a big crowd pleaser. Once that finished its run, never in a million years did I think that T4or would finish way behind it, or that it would be fairly close to JWD. I really can't see these two as anything but underwhelming performances. 

Dominion still strong worldwide and definitely not the worst case scenario all-in-all, mind you. 

Thor, though... Ya, on the face of it the numbers are OK, but with all the good will both for the brand and the character, if this barely beats Ragnarok dom and finishes at 700 WW after a 300+ opening, I really don't see how this is anything but underperforming. Like... Not quite BvS here, but especially if it's all down to the audiences being dissatisfied and wom being bad...some serious questions will need to be asked about what happened with this movie. 

For me Dominion is a flop, fair and square. 

I don't know how people can justify Thor's performance, but it is pathetic..... Jurassic World Dominion would make more profits than Thor and i still say it's a flop unless it touches a Billion which will be bit more digestible. 

Both Dominion and Thor should be doing much more, but they aren't, both are disappointment Content wise and Box Office wise, infact add Multiverse of Madness in it and complete the disappointment trio. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

I could be mistaken but if it joins the club, it’ll be the lowest opener to ever drop $100M.

this is true because New Moon ($142mil opening) dropped $99,969,106 on it's second weekend. damn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1