grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

35 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it will underperform. Zero hook or intrigue from the trailers 

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

Me! US was horrible I think there's a lot of people who feel the same way that I do. I don't see it grossing more than 60 mill.

We bought our tickets the moment they were available (a month or so back?)

That same screening (IMAX Friday 6:00 PM) only has four tickets sold as of today. Two of those are ours.

Universal isn't treating this like a winner in the slightest and I've felt zero excitement. Compare to Get Out and Us, it's night and day.

• Like 2

i just think the hook for Nope isn't that hooky. Get Out and Us had more interesting premises. a UFO... it's been done, and from the marketing nothing really stands out about this take. maybe they're hiding something special about it but it's not doing the movie any favours. 

• Like 4

I just don't get what Nope is about. They're doing a weird mystery box thing where it feels like we're only seeing the first half hour, but for the most part, we're just seeing empty deserts 75% of the time and random UFO stuff the other 25%. I get there's a less is more thing here, but what they're selling isn't very interesting. It's a rare time where maybe it's better if they just spoiled some of the crazy stuff out in the open to get some money shots. That is, if there even is crazy stuff happening. I have no idea if I should expect more or less or whatever. Just a bad campaign all around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

The Velocipastor [Blu-ray] : Amazon.com.mx: Películas y Series de TV

NO!

That movie is a total abomination and doesnt deserve its genius title! I had a lot of trashy hopes for this but its so BAD and STINKY and frankly embarrassing that it isnt even fun to hatewatch. 85 Min of the most boring kind of trash film dialogue, atrocious framing, editing and fight choreography and worst of all, the ABSOLUTE INSULT of this so-called "movie" is that the Velocipastor-dinosaur itself looks about as good as those plastic toy T-Rexes. I can live with bad CGI but THAT was beyond all categories that could describe awfulness.

BAD film!

20 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just think the hook for Nope isn't that hooky. Get Out and Us had more interesting premises. a UFO... it's been done, and from the marketing nothing really stands out about this take. maybe they're hiding something special about it but it's not doing the movie any favours. 

I don't even know what the hook for Us is tbh.

Yeah the premise of Nope isn't being really well articulated. The mystery was intriguing in the first trailer but the hook of trying to capture an alien on footage in the 2nd trailer feels out of sync with the scope of the movie they're trying to sell.

The way the music is edited in the 2nd trailer is a mess too. It really establishes two-three different tones before returning back to Ball of Confusion for the title card. Makes it feel all over the place.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

doppelgangers. it's a creepy idea that not a lot of horror has explored. and that trailer was so well cut compared to marketing materials for Nope. even if the movie was messy a pretty clear premise/mystery was laid out by the marketing.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

I only saw one bit of marketing for NOPE, as an ad on YouTube which I didn't skip cause I was actually curious. It was just random clips ending in a character saying nope to a seemingly crazy situation (the issue being said crazy situation wasn't that mind-blowingly crazy), with literally a background score of "nope" being repeated. 

I... don't get the marketing for this. The whole thing seems more like a Key & Peele sketch. I'd actually love it if the marketing is an elaborate cover for this being an outright parody. 

• Like 1

Get Out or A quiet place build their hype during the weekend. The first made a +17% saturday on February and the second made a +1.2%  Saturday on April. 

Nope has the good amount of hype an horror movie should have because of the director, If the movie is good as is traditional for horror movies the WOM effect can be fast. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

NO!

That movie is a total abomination and doesnt deserve its genius title! I had a lot of trashy hopes for this but its so BAD and STINKY and frankly embarrassing that it isnt even fun to hatewatch. 85 Min of the most boring kind of trash film dialogue, atrocious framing, editing and fight choreography and worst of all, the ABSOLUTE INSULT of this so-called "movie" is that the Velocipastor-dinosaur itself looks about as good as those plastic toy T-Rexes. I can live with bad CGI but THAT was beyond all categories that could describe awfulness.

BAD film!

That's literally the joke. The dinosaur is supposed to be fake and the movie is supposed to be stupid and cheap-looking because it's a goofy, tongue-in-cheek feature. I know that the whole "it's supposed to be bad" criticism doesn't always work, but...yeah, sometimes that's totally valid here.

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Get out was really appreciated and it made Jordan Peel a recognised name with just one movie, something we didn't see from a very long time.

Reminds me of Shyamalan after The sixth Sense. 

Edited by vale9001

8 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

That's literally the joke. The dinosaur is supposed to be fake and the movie is supposed to be stupid and cheap-looking because it's a goofy, tongue-in-cheek feature. I know that the whole "it's supposed to be bad" criticism doesn't always work, but...yeah, sometimes that's totally valid here.

I know, but i want my trash films to be entertaining and funny and i unfortunately had 0 fun with that movie. The last few scenes were so awful though that it was nearly hilarious, but just nearly.

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Bless the parents that had to see Paws of Fury, I imagine they probably needed some liquid courage to be able to get through that movie with the kids.

It’s nowhere near that bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnDr3s said:

The Velocipastor [Blu-ray] : Amazon.com.mx: Películas y Series de TV

I keep thinking that raptor has to be ripped from some video game cover art or a stock photo somewhere. It keeps reminding me of Turok: Evolution, actually.

Turokevolutionbox.jpg

I think some people overestimate this "bad reception" talking about US. While i do think GA was disappointed with it, the cinephiles liked quite a lot. 

Even Get Out isn't exactly the usual mainstream type of horror flick, it's just a rare case where GA unexpectedly also clicks with something different. US followed the same path and pleased the group of people who liked this type of movies, it just failed in click with GA the same way, it happens, but it isn't a disaster either.

There's nothing inherently wrong with doing a more niche movie. It's up to Jordan to decide what type of projects he want to build his carreer around. 

This time he chose to try a really mainstream picture, but there's no momentum due to marketing that don't show anything substantial, let's see how it goes. If it ended up underperforming i think the promotion is the one to blame, not US reception.