Issac Newton

Weekend - 08/05-08/07 | Actuals: Bullet Train 30, Super Pets 11, Nope 8.5, Thor 7.7, Minions 7.1 | TGM sinks Titanic! 7th-biggest film DOM | Bodies Bodies Bodies earns 37.8K PTA

4 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

This excuse makes no sense to me when they've let PLENTY of Fox movies go to theaters and stream on HBO Max first

which Fox movies under Disney went to theaters that they were not contractually obligated to release after the Fox buyout?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

This excuse makes no sense to me when they've let PLENTY of Fox movies go to theaters and stream on HBO Max first

That excuse is some of the most blatant spin I've seen in the industry for a while. We all know the real reason it got dumped on Hulu was because the 2018 movie was a flop everyone hated and killed Predator as a tentpole brand going forward. The HBO deal just gives them a convenient excuse to prevent the producers from being humiliated and humbled.

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed Bullet Train. The third act was a bit too OTT, but both myself and my bf had fun. 

And while there weren't more than 40 people in the screening, there was quite a lot of laughter and generally good buzz afterwards. Kinda middling entertainment I expect from a late August release in the shadow of a big blockbuster. Just so happens that this year that isn't the case. 

Now, for Prey - as much as I would have enjoyed it on the big screen, I think streaming might be for the best in this case. Remember, it's also on the Star hub on Disney+ in a lot of the world (mainly Europe), so it's getting good exposure, in the top image carousel on the app. Couple that with the good reviews and word of mouth, and it could become a bit of a streaming hit and enjoy prolonged success that way. 

Had it released in cinemas, good chance it would have flopped and then that would have killed its chances at a sequel. This way, they can build on it and perhaps have a bigger sequel in cinemas (possibly a different time period). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CJohn said:

Opening an original movie is becoming harder and harder. Some end up getting to amazing totals thanks to terrific WOM (Elvis, The Black Phone) but others can't survive because of mixed WOM coming from low OWs (Nope, Bullet Train).

We can’t really call Nope’s OW “low” though, wasn’t it the biggest opening for an original film in over 3 years? 

Technically Black Phone is based on a short story and Elvis is Elvis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

just finished sandman and it was great

i just hope that netflix doesn't cancelled it, wonder why it wasn't on hbo max

IIRC, Netflix has already ordered a second season.

I am halfway through and really liking it. Tom Sturridge, in particular, is perfect as Dream.

4 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

This is Netflix’s big thing for the summer so it’s likely renewed. IIRC HBO Max wasn’t a thing when this was greenlit.

16 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

Zaslav actually showed off about how WB owned properties aren't restricted to WB owned services on the investor call.

39 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Zaslav actually showed off about how WB owned properties aren't restricted to WB owned services on the investor call.

A good move imo. Disney have pretty much stopped being an arms dealer apart from CBS' new and soon to be cancelled TV adaptation of True Lies.

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

A good move imo. Disney have pretty much stopped being an arms dealer apart from CBS' new and soon to be cancelled TV adaptation of True Lies.

Disney was never an arm dealer at the level of WB or Sony. Also to answer the question this Sandman show was in development for more than 20 years  initially as a movie. Then It morphed into a show mid ‘10s  which was rejected  by HBO, it  then got acquired by Netflix mid 2019.

Just now, John Marston said:

A bunch of ads for Hot Topic merchandise for the 1999 Mummy movie are showing up here. Reminds me how Universal is missing a big opportunity to not green light a legacy sequel with Fraser, Weisz, and the gang back 

If the Fraserrection is real with The Whale, a legacy Mummy sequel might happen.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

A bunch of ads for Hot Topic merchandise for the 1999 Mummy movie are showing up here. Reminds me how Universal is missing a big opportunity to not green light a legacy sequel with Fraser, Weisz, and the gang back 

To be honest, as much as I enjoyed the first two movies in that series, they've hardly had a huge cultural impact and the third one was a major drag, not to mention the Cruise one tainting the name more. Don't really know if it would be embraced, but I'd definitely give it a go. Issue is they would probably need the son/son-substitute character back, and that was already a major negative for the third one. They would really need a good bit of casting... 

30 minutes ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

That's the second-biggest PTA of the year, right?

Third, actually, but #2 for a specialty release (behind Everything Everywhere). Really good launch. A24 is having a strong year, I imagine The Whale will also be posting a huge PTA whenever they decide to bow it.