Eric the IF

Halloween Weekend Thread (10/28-30) | Weekend Estimates: Adam 27.7, Paradise 10, Devil 7, Smile 5, Ends 3.8

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Terrifier 2s success seemed to be predicated on the fact that it was spoken about in hushed whispers and felt a bit naughty and counter culture.

As such expanding into over 1,500 screens feels like it might have put a mainstream stamp onto it that was actually kind of harmful to it.

Babylon seems like a heck of a risk for Robbie's career post-Amsterdam. It absolutely has to come off or she's starting to look like a busted flush as a megastar. Then again, that kind of makes it more likely that if Babylon is even half decent and her performance perfectly fine they'd bung her an Oscar a la JLaw, Julia Roberts and AJolie when they can given how desperate Hollywood is to push a "chosen one" actress's career.

It is time to accept Black Adam is a flop. 200M budget needs at least 500M WW. I am not sure this will even do 400M at this point. The movie dies in less than 2 weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

It is time to accept Black Adam is a flop. 200M budget needs at least 500M WW. I am not sure this will even do 400M at this point. The movie dies in less than 2 weeks.

Hopefully the new management isn’t this stupid to throw away 200M to find out what anybody could have told them for free.

9 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

???

Deadline has quietly revised there 27M Friday estimate to 25M on Saturdays estimate 

1.) Black Adam (NL) 4,402 theaters, Fri $7.5M (-72%) 3-day $25M (-63%)/Total $108.4M/Wk 2

7 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Yep.

Around $27M(-59.7%) with -35% on Sunday.

That would be an alright drop. Certainly a lot better than I was expecting off of that Friday number. Still not quite enough to make it a true hit, but at this point Warner might just eat it up and move on. It'll only have one more weekend to itself before Wakanda Forever pretty much gobbles up the entire box office until Avatar 2.

31 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Deadline has quietly revised there 27M Friday estimate to 25M on Saturdays estimate 

1.) Black Adam (NL) 4,402 theaters, Fri $7.5M (-72%) 3-day $25M (-63%)/Total $108.4M/Wk 2

What are you talking about? They had 25M since yesterday. They haven't updated it at all. Here's the Deadline estimates from yesterday morning

21 hours ago, Ericstein's Monster said:

https://deadline.com/2022/10/black-adam-super-83m-first-week-eyes-27m-2nd-frame-prey-for-the-devil-previews-box-office-1235157235/

Saturday estimates:

1.) Black Adam (NL) 4,402 theaters, Fri $7.5M (-72%) 3-day $25M (-63%)/Total $108.4M/Wk 2

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Hopefully the new management isn’t this stupid to throw away 200M to find out what anybody could have told them for free.

What really did WB expect to earn from BA? Is $500 WW a solid gross? It's looking like a Shazam total which isn't ideal and surely not sequel-worthy.

Moving off topic a bit, but what kind of appetite is there for MOS 2? Has BA truly stoked interest in it? I think the first movie was just short of brilliance, bogged down by a torrid, effects-laden finale that made you stop caring.

I'd be shocked if MOS 2 did more than the 660 odd million the original did back in 2013, unless either Flash or AM 2 rocks and sets something up.  And I highly doubt BA being in it would bring in much more cash on the basis of this film's gross.

A true back to basics Superman sequel with focus on character minus more multiverse / JL nonsense on a lower budget would be refreshing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stephen said:

What really did WB expect to earn from BA? Is $500 WW a solid gross? It's looking like a Shazam total which isn't ideal and surely not sequel-worthy.

Moving off topic a bit, but what kind of appetite is there for MOS 2? Has BA truly stoked interest in it? I think the first movie was just short of brilliance, bogged down by a torrid, effects-laden finale that made you stop caring.

I'd be shocked if MOS 2 did more than the 660 odd million the original did back in 2013, unless either Flash or AM 2 rocks and sets something up.  And I highly doubt BA being in it would bring in much more cash on the basis of this film's gross.

A true back to basics Superman sequel with focus on character minus more multiverse / JL nonsense on a lower budget would be refreshing.

Judging by Cavill’s latest interview that’s what he is going for together with WB. He seems really involved in the whole process choosing the suite and everything.. I don’t think it will have much to do with Snyders and they don’t really have to link it to BA at all. 

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What are you talking about? They had 25M since yesterday. They haven't updated it at all. Here's the Deadline estimates from yesterday morning

Yesterday was Saturday which is what I just said? You do realise the article has an edit button and has been edited since Friday right? Just read the link itself you just posted.. still shows 27M right there in the link

https://deadline .com/2022/10/black-adam-super-83m-first-week-eyes-27m-2nd-frame-prey-for-the-devil-previews-box-office-1235157235/

Edited by VENOM

10 minutes ago, stephen said:

I think we're all still adjusting our outlook when it comes to blockbusters in a (post?) pandemic market.

Before the pandemic, or if the pandemic never happened , I would think a $700m-750m+ target for BA would not only be reasonable but damn near guaranteed.

• Like 1