Eric Loves Rey

Halloween Weekend Thread (10/28-30) | Weekend Estimates: Adam 27.7, Paradise 10, Devil 7, Smile 5, Ends 3.8

1 minute ago, Ericstein's Monster said:

Legit mad people didn't pay an extra 6K for this lol

It’s an estimate anyway, they should have rounded up to $666K just for the PR bump 

Also, more than I expected, decent chance of beating Invitation from that Thursday 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth, at every location near me that's playing Terrifier 2, it's only getting 1 showtime per day. Now, that showtime is around 8PM, which is probably the only time it would make any money anyways, but something to think about.

• Like 1

I am urging The Rock to Free Deadline Anthony from servitude because this shit is getting heinous. It cannot continue

New Line/DC’s Black Adam ends its first week with $83.4M, which is slightly ahead of what Dwayne Johnson’sFast & Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw did in its first week at $83.1M. That’s impressive considering that this is a deeper universe DC character, and the other was connected to a long-established franchise

It’s 300k ahead and apparently DC branding and DCEU connection mean nothing…

Deadline Anthony used to be a titan of BO punditry. What went wrong and are streaming services to blame?

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I thought that Predator film got a theatrical release all of a sudden based on the title.

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Same. My first thought was "Disney gave it a one week run for Halloween?"

Fixed! Sorry 😕

Pray for the Devil can’t be worse than The Nun. Lionsgate should have put a little more effort promoting it cause horror movies are on a good moment. I didn’t see Smile but people say it’s mediocre at best. It doesn’t seem that hard these days to trick audiences into seeing a bad horror movie. Even Halloween Ends did great for one weekend.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Pray for the Devil can’t be worse than The Nun. Lionsgate should have put a little more effort promoting it cause horror movies are on a good moment. I didn’t see Smile but people say it’s mediocre at best. It doesn’t seem that hard these days to trick audiences into seeing a bad horror movie. Even Halloween Ends did great for one weekend.

I've yet to meet one person IRL who was truly impressed by Smile. Very baffling. 

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Smile’s WOM is fantastic. Take a look at the holds. 

Here in the UK it increased in its second weekend. 

A mediocre horror movie just doesn’t hit nearly a 4x multiple within 5 weeks. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I didn’t see Smile but people say it’s mediocre at best. It doesn’t seem that hard these days to trick audiences into seeing a bad horror movie. Even Halloween Ends did great for one weekend.

This is the same old same old rubbish that has plagued the reception of horror movies forever.

Especially horror films that are straight-faced and make bold attempts to be legitimately scary rather than tension factories.

Film has great word of mouth, gets among popular audience. GREAT! Except broad audiences contains a greater level of heterogenous spectatorship than general horror viewership including people who include:

- Johnny Bigballs who refuses to acknowledge being scared by anything ever and will only ever go to a horror film to slag it off.

- Different affective receivers who more so than enthusiastic horror audience don't realise that just because a film doesn't scare you PERSONALLY doesn't mean it's bad.

- Armchair critics who are knee-jerk inured to slate horror films because they're bottom of the perceptual pile.

- Think all horror films should be like "*****" (place the one or two horror films they either like or know are mainstream approved here)

Scream, Blair Witch, Hereditary, Witch.....there was a backlash to them all. The only ones that get away with it are tangentially non horror films like Silence (thriller) and Get Out (Sociopolitical commentary) or features either very well established story or performers like It or Quiet Place. 

I didn't love Smile - it spread its bets between being a thematic horror and a populist narrative one and that really came into play at the end - but it isn't 'tricking' people to see it.

1999 people were lining up on the internet and IRL to tell others how rubbish Blair Witch was. It was the cool thing to do......Somehow, It was so rubbish it had one of the greatest returns on investment ever and ludicrously good legs. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is the same old same old rubbish that has plagued the reception of horror movies forever.

Especially horror films that are straight-faced and make bold attempts to be legitimately scary rather than tension factories.

Film has great word of mouth, gets among popular audience. GREAT! Except broad audiences contains a greater level of heterogenous spectatorship than general horror viewership including people who include:

- Johnny Bigballs who refuses to acknowledge being scared by anything ever and will only ever go to a horror film to slag it off.

- Different affective receivers who more so than enthusiastic horror audience don't realise that just because a film doesn't scare you PERSONALLY doesn't mean it's bad.

- Armchair critics who are knee-jerk inured to slate horror films because they're bottom of the perceptual pile.

- Think all horror films should be like "*****" (place the one or two horror films they either like or know are mainstream approved here)

Scream, Blair Witch, Hereditary, Witch.....there was a backlash to them all. The only ones that get away with it are tangentially non horror films like Silence (thriller) and Get Out (Sociopolitical commentary) or features either very well established story or performers like It or Quiet Place. 

I didn't love Smile - it spread its bets between being a thematic horror and a populist narrative one and that really came into play at the end - but it isn't 'tricking' people to see it.

1999 people were lining up on the internet and IRL to tell others how rubbish Blair Witch was. It was the cool thing to do......Somehow, It was so rubbish it had one of the greatest returns on investment ever and ludicrously good legs. 

Meryl Streep Yes GIF by MOODMAN

28 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

So, I admit to being one of those people...but I didn't wait for the internet.  I told the friends I was with as we were walking to the parking lot that it was the worst movie I'd ever seen in a theater, and one friend was like "OMG, did we see the same movie?"  I said, "boring trees with shaky cam for 90 minutes inducing an incredible headache in the watcher"...and she shook her head:).

You can have very popular horror movies get different reactions from their crowds, just b/c of the way the genre is.  Sometimes, what utterly scares one bores another...and most people rate and "like" horror on the scare factor...so, legs can be baffling to many, especially those who didn't "feel" the movie...

PS - It still ranks as one of the 5 worst movies I've ever seen in a theater:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits