Eric the Fall Guy

Halloween Weekend Thread (10/28-30) | Weekend Estimates: Adam 27.7, Paradise 10, Devil 7, Smile 5, Ends 3.8

Lol ok Eric got me.

(Not me proceeding to look up Lydia Tar for 5 minutes after and being so confused about why I couldn't find any news articles about her death that strangely coincided with the release of the movie).

1 hour ago, Ericstein's Monster said:

Last I checked, Michelle Yeoh is the runner-up and potential upset, with Blanchett being the current frontrunner. Deadwyler does seem pretty secure though compared to other competitors (granted some like Robbie we don't know much about yet), and the only other major contender at this point is Michelle Williams.

I know the Oscars aren’t one of those things were once you get one, you never get another one. Yet, I can’t help feeling like why is there excitement for Cate to win again? She has two.

I have not watched the movie yet. Perhaps it is an undeniable tour de force. And I’m definitely excited to watch it.

But I can’t help thinking that theoretically there should be more excitement behind Yeoh or “someone else who is over due and “deserves” it.

• Like 1

Took my brother to Dawn of the Dead in 3D tonight. We walked up at 6:30 and the cinema as a whole was a ghost town.

His first time seeing it. My God-only-knows time (It's one of my top three all-time favorites). 

All that blood, gore and bright colors really popped off the screen. Not the smartest financial decision to post-covert it to 3D in the first place. But still a blast. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cap said:

I know the Oscars aren’t one of those things were once you get one, you never get another one. Yet, I can’t help feeling like why is there excitement for Cate to win again? She has two.

I have not watched the movie yet. Perhaps it is an undeniable tour de force. And I’m definitely excited to watch it.

But I can’t help thinking that theoretically there should be more excitement behind Yeoh or “someone else who is over due and “deserves” it.

Tempted to quote Eastwood and say deservings got nothing to do with it. But the fact is Cate’s reviews are in that rarefied There Will Be Blood DDL range. Those type of raves usually result in Oscars even if they had won lead before (see Hopkins). 

That said, I don’t think Yeoh is the alternate at this point to Blanchett. Action-fantasy is not the strongest genre for acting glory. And even with a brilliant script that gives Yeoh a strong platform to showcase her strengths, I have doubts. I lean towards Williams, a previously nominated actress in a baity role in likely the BP frontrunner at the moment. 

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Blanchett is considered one of the greatest living actresses. On the level of like Meryl Streep.

Love Cate, but no one can compare to Meryl re: having earned the title of The Best Actress Alive (one could also argue Ever...we're talking a record 21 Oscar acting nominations over the course of a multiple decade spanning career here) both in pop culture and just in general.

• Like 1

I'm just relieved there is genuine chance this year that we won't have any darned biopic copy-performances winning Oscars, which will be the first time for years.

Yeoh would be a worth winner, but Cate Blanchett would be good- haven't seen Tar yet. Blanchett's Oscar winning is wonky since one of hers came from the ridiculous Oscar biopics obsession: her impression of Katharine Hepburne (which came out the same year as Rachel McAdams' iconic, zeitgeist driving, era defining performance in Mean Girls which wasn't even nominated because heaven forfend multifaceted comic performances are recognised as greater than impressions) isn't in her top dozen best roles, just as Meryl Streep's Thatcher impression isn't in her best 20.

Think there's a genuine chance Banshees of Inisherin should literally sweep all performance categories that aren't Best Actress: Farrell, Gleeson/Keoghan, Condon. Farrell is a lock and the only reason the others wouldn't win is if the two supporting actor men get in each others' way vote wise and MAYBE they under appreciate how amazing Kerry Condon is and want to give it to a more famous person.

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's October.

Sure. 

Banshees is the best film I've seen since at least Parasite, probably the VVitch and maybe as far back as Inside Out/Pan's Labyrinth. It is a decade-defining level film. The chances of a better film, or even close to it, being released in the next few months is negligible.

It is also already critical universally acclaimed and is a relative crowdpleaser for the type of movie that it is, since it has a lot of humour. 

But ok, awards season is fickle and there will be a flurry of big pushes for other performances to come, including many much praised impressions. I will accept that. And Hopkins aside the Acting awards for the last few years have been beyond all levels of laughable (Zellweger, Chastain and Smith surely being a nadir).

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's October.

But but when a movie comes out in a year shoudnt mean anything about its award chances i thought? So when you, as a movie, come out in December, it shoudnt mean that you could count on ... i dont know ... recency bias or something like that to have better chances right?

Right?