Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

50 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Frankly these numbers are making me avoid this movie. Instead of being excited to watch it next weekend, I feel like skipping it. Many people operate that way. When something is truly a sensation and a positive surprise, curiosity levels go up and people on the fence go to theatres to check out.

I agree I’m not watching Flopatar either, seeing Black Adam again to support my boy the rock in hopes he gets Gunn fired and takes over as CEO of DC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Alita pretty good overall, enjoyed the world and character. My big issue is (don't click this Reddroast, though I guess if you already read the manga maybe this won't be a spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

I enjoy both the film and the manga. They are entirely different tonally but that is what makes adaptation fascinating in Hollywood.

As for the ending that is from the manga itself

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I enjoy both the film and the manga. They are entirely different tonally but that is what makes adaptation fascinating in Hollywood.

As for the ending that is from the manga itself

I was never into manga, but I find incredibly interesting how manga fans - not you necessarily, just something I’ve perceived among friends that are manga fans - are completely passionate on how their live action adaptations need to be incredibly faithful adaptations of the mangas or animes. I have a friend that is a big Saint Seya nerd and he is mad at the live action adaptation not because it looks bland as fuck but because some fight position and piece of armor is not like the way it should be in the drawing. I mean, I love when adaptations take liberties from the comics, I don’t want to watch a remake of my comics in films, series, games etc. I know that there isn’t a single good popular manga live action adaptation out there, but still.

12 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I agree I’m not watching Flopatar either, seeing Black Adam again to support my boy the rock in hopes he gets Gunn fired and takes over as CEO of DC. 

i actually bought the film last week out of morbid curiosity and I regret it so much. Hawkman is cool tho. Keep him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Frankly these numbers are making me avoid this movie. Instead of being excited to watch it next weekend, I feel like skipping it. Many people operate that way. When something is truly a sensation and a positive surprise, curiosity levels go up and people on the fence go to theatres to check out.

I hear you. Trust me, though, it's still worth seeing. I've been a little down about the state of things (not this movies numbers specifically but the empty schedule, state of the box office, dead theatres in Canada etc etc) lately but trust me, it's still totally worth seeing it. Even if your enthusiasm is kind of dampened. For me it's a good enough movie that you can just forget everything else and enjoy it. Of course that doesn't guarantee YOU will enjoy it as much but either way I recommend you go see it whenever you have a good opportunity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I was never into manga, but I find incredibly interesting how manga fans - not you necessarily, just something I’ve perceived among friends that are manga fans - are completely passionate on how their live action adaptations need to be incredibly faithful adaptations of the mangas or animes. I have a friend that is a big Saint Seya nerd and he is mad at the live action adaptation not because it looks bland as fuck but because some fight position and piece of armor is not like the way it should be in the drawing. I mean, I love when adaptations take liberties from the comics, I don’t want to watch a remake of my comics in films, series, games etc. I know that there isn’t a single good popular manga live action adaptation out there, but still.

i actually bought the film last week out of morbid curiosity and I regret it so much. Hawkman is cool tho. Keep him.

I think what a lot of anime and manga fans misunderstand is you have to aim for the general public when you have large budget and some things that work in the culture of Japan  don't work in the culture of the west. ( like Hollywood won't touch the Fate series due to it's original release as a well..)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Saw someone say the IMAX I'm going to tomorrow didn't get the Oppenheimer preview (and they don't usually play more than 1-2 trailers as is). They had the Tenet/Dunkirk ones previously.

skip-bayless.gif

cancel the tickets. Pointless trip now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I think what a lot of anime and manga fans misunderstand is you have to aim for the general public when you have large budget and some things that work in the culture of Japan  don't work in the culture of the west. ( like Hollywood won't touch the Fate series due to it's original release as a well..)

I mean the MCU Spider-Man trilogy made the thing that I hated in concept that was to tell an origin story spaced out in a trilogy of films and made it work. Radically different than the comics and that’s a good thing because I don’t want to retread the stories I already know. Same for the Infinity Saga and so on. I want to be surprised, I don’t want pages coming into life in live action, that’s boring for me. Defy the rules, but yet keep faithful to the core of the characters is a hard balance act, but when it works is so worth it.