Eric Lasagna

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You wont find it there, because its not the "Best movies of 2022" list.

Sorry, I don't read "Best of" lists from Opposite Land Magazine.

Edited by cookie

28 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

To be fair,1.5 billion is nothing to sneeze at and more than every other film this year. Disney would love to have another franchise making that every 2 years or so.

Well, they'd love to have another franchise like that with production budgets around $200-$250M, probably not $400M...that kinda budget level gets risky if you think you'll have sequel drops...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Straight to Disney+ Special Presentations

The future of the MCU, Star wars, Pixar and Avatar franchise...The FOx Purchase has been such a bust...Independent FOX gets better numbers for Avatar 2

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I actually had the movie to open at $140m~$150m but the early pre-sale pattern got me thinking $170m+ is possible. Seeing now the movie coming crashing down to my initial prediction is a disappointment. I acknowledge the film will leg out beautifully but I think at this point we are seeing something like TLK, a successful disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, Hades said:

Independent FOX gets better numbers for Avatar 2

How exactly? The situation would have remained same both in China and Japan. It's not like Disney's marketing was very bad or something 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, they'd love to have another franchise like that with production budgets around $200-$250M, probably not $400M...that kinda budget level gets risky if you think you'll have sequel drops...

I will somewhat disagree here. Not that you are incorrect, they don’t want another Pirates when it comes to diminishing returns, and yes, the budget for Cameron’s Avatar is completely unreasonable even if indeed made to $2B+. With that said, James Cameron is indeed one of the best directors alive. Disney has all the interest on keeping him around and he is obvious passionate for Avatar more than anything else he has ever created.

What I hope is that he directs his trilogy but starts delegating other directors and creators to pitch in this world, being reasonable to not go for absolutely bonkers budgets after that.

1 minute ago, Nero said:

How exactly? The situation would have remained same both in China and Japan. It's not like Disney's marketing was very bad or something 

Independent FOX would be better for Japan. Because, theatres drop the Disney film after 3rd Week because they debut on Disney+ after being theatrical exclusive for 45 days (⁠。⁠ŏ⁠﹏⁠ŏ⁠)

58 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Garbage article - anyone who puts Minions 2 as the 2nd worst movie of the year only probably watched 2 movies this year...

It's not War and Peace, but it was wildly better than many things I saw in theaters (and on streaming that had been in theaters) from the animated world...

yeah I saw that. Bones and All in his five too, and that movie was wildly acclaimed from most. Weird. I mean, worse than Black Adam? Morbius? Moonfall? 

Gary Coleman 80S GIF

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Independent FOX would be better for Japan. Because, theatres drop the Disney film after 3rd Week because they debut on Disney+ after being theatrical exclusive for 45 days (⁠。⁠ŏ⁠﹏⁠ŏ⁠)

But that's not going to happen to avatar though, Cameron wouldn't allow it (general thumb of rule for big movies it gets extended). Also if fox was really independent who's to say they wouldn't have their own streaming platform?

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

But that's not going to happen to avatar though, Cameron wouldn't allow it (general thumb of rule for big movies it gets extended). Also if fox was really independent who's to say they wouldn't have their own streaming platform?

Not sure about that.

But, ever since pandemic started - Disney film are struggling with their release strategy in Japan. You can't even book advance tickets before 48 hrs. Theatre are allocated 72 hrs before release date. Really in terrible shape because of their 45 days Theatrical exclusive strategy