Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

24 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

The Fabelmans seems to have even less passion toward it than Belfast and I didn't think that was possible.  Despite the strong narrative, I'm not sure about Spielberg in director either; I have the Daniels winning, and Cameron might have a shot as well (but could also be snubbed Villenueve style).

BP is most definitely between EEAAO and Banshees 

Baffling to say Fabelmans and Belfast lacked passion. You can just not connect to either but it's obvious that both Spielberg and Brannagh poured their souls into their autobiographical films.

24 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I guess i'm the only one that didn't like EEOAO. I had to finish it in two sittings. So annoying movie. Banshees FTW

I didn't like EEAO too but I appreciate its success and contribution to the indie markets. And IMO, I always believe part of the reason why EEAO was so successful as a indie hit was because the movie touches multiverse concept at the right time when everyone was talking about multiverse in between NWH and anticipation to DS2.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah. I had a great time with RRR but I definitely prefer some of his earlier  movies to it. But, fuck, that movie exploded on social media. It's Letterboxd score is incredible too. It's the really the first of his movies that's been pretty big stateside. Lots of momentum. Tons and tons people watched that on Netflix and then told all their friends to watch it too.

The best directing I've seen in anything this year is easily Decision To Leave... Story could've been a bit more that was far and away the most fun I'd had just watching and editing and directing in a movie this year. I wondered if Park might steal a Best Director nom but obviously not win the award.

It must be a very weak year for Oscar to nominate two non-English film director in a single year although this happened before.

2020: Thomas Vinterberg (Another Round), Lee Issac Chang (Minari)

2018: Alfonso Cauron (Roma), Pawel (Cold War)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean Top Gun Maverick is pretty much as good as a blockbuster can be. Id have no problems with it winning Best Picture.

Top Gun Maverick is ridiculously smooth...but peak blockbuster? I don't think so. From a technical standpoint, sure. But many other blockbusters (many of them messier films overall) carried a lot more emotion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

wanna google how much Argo and The King’s Speech made for me real quick

Say what? Those were most certainly not “blockbuster” movies. They were  adult dramas with great legs that weren’t even remotely close to the blockbusters of their respective years. The fact that you had to bring up movies that made sub 140m DOM proves the point more about no blockbuster winner since ROTK

Just now, Noctis said:

Top Gun Maverick is ridiculously smooth...but peak blockbuster? I don't think so. From a technical standpoint, sure. But many other blockbusters (many of them messier films overall) carried a lot more emotion.

Is thrill an emotion because it was very thrilling during the last act.  Also people who saw the first one said they cried during second one, especially durin Val and Cruise reunion.

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

must be a very weak year for Oscar to nominate two non-English film director in a single year although this happened before.

2020: Thomas Vinterberg (Another Round), Lee Issac Chang (Minari)

2018: Alfonso Cauron (Roma), Pawel (Cold War)

Or voting members are more and more diverse in the last few years, giving non-English director bigger chance of being recognized. Why is it weak when it's non-english directors?

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Baffling to say Fabelmans and Belfast lacked passion. You can just not connect to either but it's obvious that both Spielberg and Brannagh poured their souls into their autobiographical films.

I'm not talking about the films lacking passion, I am saying the award circle, the critics, the film twitter circle and eventually the industry are collectively showing a lack of enthusiasm toward this movie, to an extent that surprised me. I have not actually seen the film yet, but these type of movies never become the ultimate winner. 

• Like 1

Just now, NCsoft said:

I'm not talking about the films lacking passion, I am saying the award circle, the critics, the film twitter circle and eventually the industry are collectively showing a lack of enthusiasm toward this movie, to an extent that surprised me. I have not actually seen the film yet, but these type of movies never become the ultimate winner. 

Oh I see, I get you now.

4 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Fsr short of actual blockbuster status

Argo made 232 million ww against a 44 million budget.

And KS made 447 ww against 15 million.   I’d say they were blockbusters

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

We are approaching a full 20 years since the Academy has given an actual blockbuster the award. I think the timing was right and the weak competition was right, but Cameron’s trademark stubbornness likely shot him in the foot a bit this time (I’m sure there were people around him who would have liked to chop off another 25 mins and iron out the dialogue a bit, etc) 

I kind of want to see a Top Gun BP, Cameron BD (since Kosinski is certainly not winning BD) scenario, making this academy awards one of the most populist in decades.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

And IMO, I always believe part of the reason why EEAO was so successful as a indie hit was because the movie touches multiverse concept at the right time when everyone was talking about multiverse in between NWH and anticipation to DS2.

The multiverse elements would have been moot if not for the family dynamics.

EEAAO is one of those films where if it speaks to you, then it’s singing beautifully to you.

The multiverse stuff is a good hook to get people in the door. The deep exploration of generational divides and it’s unique viewpoint of, let’s call it optimistic nihilism, hit the right chord with certain generations and demographics, and that’s why it had commercial staying power, critical acclaim, and now a fierce followers, myself among them.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Is BR2049 a “blockbuster”? If so, I’ll take it over TGM any day. And to be clear, I loved Maverick as a filmgoing experiencer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

Argo made 232 million ww against a 44 million budget.

And KS made 447 ww against 15 million.   I’d say they were blockbusters

Well, 44 and 15 certainly aren't blockbuster budgets.

Argo nums ain't blockbuster by any metric.

KS WW you could make a reasonably argument but I think we were talking more dom.

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Say what? Those were most certainly not “blockbuster” movies. They were  adult dramas with great legs that weren’t even remotely close to the blockbusters of their respective years. The fact that you had to bring up movies that made sub 140m DOM proves the point more about no blockbuster winner since ROTK

well if you wanna stretch the definition of blockbuster from “popular movie that was financially successful” to “it has to make 300 million domestic or else no one saw it,”