Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I seen someone on the other thread saying Universal were crazy to have Violent Night on VOD last Friday, but it probably stops making money on Boxing Day. They’ve doubled their gross this week and it’s still doing well. 

Before streaming, Christmas movies could get held over to the next holiday season before video release. For one, Christmas with the Kranks was released in theaters on November 24, 2004 and released on home video November 8, 2005. That kind of timeline isn't sensible in today's marketplace.

There is a crowd that watches Christmas movies all year, but studios can't count on a huge overlap with Hallmark Channel lovers and slasher movie fans.

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Before streaming, Christmas movies could get held over to the next holiday season before video release. For one, Christmas with the Kranks was released in theaters on November 24, 2004 and released on home video November 8, 2005. That kind of timeline isn't sensible in today's marketplace.

There is a crowd that watches Christmas movies all year, but studios can't count on a huge overlap with Hallmark Channel lovers and slasher movie fans.

That hasn’t been a thing in several years, though. The last one I can even remember waiting a year was the 2009 Jim Carrey version of A Christmas Carol.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE:

20th Century/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water is pacing 37% ahead of yesterday’s revised $14.6M for a $20M Friday, which will put it on track for $83M 4-day, -45% from the pic’s first 4 days. Hopefully, the sequel will hit $90M at 4,202 theaters, if business shifts. That will put the pic’s 11-day box office at $280.7M.

Second belongs to Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s Puss in Boots: The Last Wish with $3.75M today at 4,099 theaters, +29% from yesterday, for a $11M 3-day, $17.2M 4-day and 6-day of $24.1M.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody from Tri-Star/Compelling Pictures/Black Label is looking at $2.2M today (including last night’s previews), $6.3M for the weekend and $9M over 4 days at 3,625 theaters. Sony is getting a distribution free for handling with financiers recouping the P&A spend. Rotten Tomatoes critics don’t like it at 46%, but audiences love it at 94%.

Paramount’s Babylon at 3,343 theaters is seeing $1.6M today, including previews, a 3-day of $4.5M and 4-day of $6.5M in fourth. Critics’ score landed at 55% Rotten, with audience score better at 74%. Fifth place belongs to Universal’s Violent Night at 2,526 locations with a fourth Friday of $1.1M, -21% from a week ago, for a 3-day of $2.95M, -42% and 4-day of $3.86M and running total of $42.3M.
Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

FRIDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE:

20th Century/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water is pacing 37% ahead of yesterday’s revised $14.6M for a $20M Friday, which will put it on track for $83M 4-day, -45% from the pic’s first 4 days. Hopefully, the sequel will hit $90M at 4,202 theaters, if business shifts. That will put the pic’s 11-day box office at $280.7M.

Second belongs to Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s Puss in Boots: The Last Wish with $3.75M today at 4,099 theaters, +29% from yesterday, for a $11M 3-day, $17.2M 4-day and 6-day of $24.1M.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody from Tri-Star/Compelling Pictures/Black Label is looking at $2.2M today (including last night’s previews), $6.3M for the weekend and $9M over 4 days at 3,625 theaters. Sony is getting a distribution free for handling with financiers recouping the P&A spend. Rotten Tomatoes critics don’t like it at 46%, but audiences love it at 94%.

Paramount’s Babylon at 3,343 theaters is seeing $1.6M today, including previews, a 3-day of $4.5M and 4-day of $6.5M in fourth. Critics’ score landed at 55% Rotten, with audience score better at 74%. Fifth place belongs to Universal’s Violent Night at 2,526 locations with a fourth Friday of $1.1M, -21% from a week ago, for a 3-day of $2.95M, -42% and 4-day of $3.86M and running total of $42.3M.

Yep, all these numbers track as expected based on Weds/Thurs numbers. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This might be an unpopular comment but I don't buy that the Christmas box office woes are 100% about the storm. There was a big storm in 2009 and look how healthy the box office was. Not to mention that it's not like miserable winter weather is a new thing around this time every year. It's just happening on a big scale this year.

No, this is also a just a complete rejection of theatres. I mean, the weather is bad here and yet the mall was packed! Traffic everywhere was packed. People are going out of the house. So yeah, I just can't bring myself to blame the storm for everything.

The 2023 cinema slate represents my last hope for theatres. If the box office - outside the sure fire tentpoles - flounders then I'm pretty ready to declare theatres dead. I know this is pretty cynical and depressing but I needed to get it out of my system.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's a pretty incredible Friday number if that holds. With all the weather related closures, if it's anywhere near that, it'll be a good number to dive into to understand what's happening.

Especially as everything else is crashing and burning. 

This movies are not happening because of a storm is all made up . Sure it applies to a few places but in most places it’s just cold without snow and people do travel on cold windy days in winters to the movies. Maybe it impacted 5-10% but that’s it . Folks need to prepare it falling 40-45% on Christmas weekend and keep falling 

Edited by hasanahmad