Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

By the way, think I have commented before on how closely BP2 has been running to FB1 since nov 19 (fb1 opening sat, BP2 2nd wknd sat). Here’s a chart with the ratio of their trailing 7days (BP2 7D/FB1 7D):

77-E21-BBC-BAE2-4-E19-8435-3-A2494-DBB69-E

You can see it was hit more by Ava than FB1 was by RO, but then started to recover. The dip at the very end is storm impact on th/fri, which will keep it within the remarkable tight bounds of 95%-107% for a while longer.  

Adding 105% of FB1 rest of run would be ~23M to total at ~446.5 but I would expect the ratio to widen in January. Likely heading between TDKR and AoU for 8th on the (nominal) CBM ranking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

I enjoyed Babylon. Critics are weird. They'll give 96 on RT to a Marvel movie that is 2.5 hours of bad CG, loud noise, and endless battles to save the world with no characters you care about, but shit on an admittedly flawed but thoroughly entertaining movie like this. 

Anywho, no Sat #s? :(

They have higher expectations for something like Babylon. They might overall give it a negative review but still like it more than a generic blockbuster movie they gave a pass to. That’s the nature of how RT works. 

This is why anything is still worth seeing and forming your own opinion, I agree. There’s plenty of very positive reviews for Babylon.  Even many of its naysayers have good things to say. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, M37 said:

Doing this via simple sorts, so may be off a bit w/ placement as re-releases have boosted grosses

Yes

Probably not what you mean, but Phantom Menace & Return of the Jedi

... and then Revenge of the Sith (10th) and TFA

FOTR 8th --> TTT 9th --> ROTK --> 8th

Finding Nemo was 8th, bested by Finding Dory

AOU 9th --> IW 4th --> Endgame 2nd

Not Quite

Toy Story finished 15th, TS2 beat it, landing in 17th place

... then TS3 beat them both and finally cracked T10 (barely)

Shrek finished 16th, Shrek 2 exploded into 4th place, then S3 finished 18th

Hunger Games was 13th, Catching Fire beat it (10th)

Didn't Finish Ahead

Spider-Man was in 6th, SM2 ended up in 11th

TDK finished in 2nd, DKR finished at 7th (major * there)

Avengers was 3rd, Ultron finished 9th

Was RO a sequel to TFA? (finished 7th)

Did I miss any?

Pirates of the carribean - curse of the black pearl finished 16th, Dead man's chest was 6th,  At world's end finished 13th. 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Thanks 1

If it does come in high question will be whether rest of movies out had typical  Eves (A2 showing specific legs) or rest also had good holds (combo of lessened storm impact and dampened holiday dynamics post pandemic). 

4 hours ago, Flopped said:

I enjoyed Babylon. Critics are weird. They'll give 96 on RT to a Marvel movie that is 2.5 hours of bad CG, loud noise, and endless battles to save the world with no characters you care about, but shit on an admittedly flawed but thoroughly entertaining movie like this. 

Anywho, no Sat #s? :(

The big caveat to what I'm saying is I haven't seen Babylon.

BUT

Based on the trailer (again, I haven't seen it)....it strongly appears as through it is a film that simultaneously wants...

1) to present an augmented reality version of its subject with a very limited, borderline zero, relationship to verisimilitude.

2) to *say something* about its subject or the general perception thereof.

Reconciling those two rationales, while not absolutely impossible, is close to it. La La Land did it somewhat but had at least one grounded character at the heart of it, and was more a character study than a film that wanted to 'say something' about its central themes. And not only is Babylon doing it, but it's doing it with a subject that there are no longer people around with living memory to myth make and story tell about it.

Again, I HAVEN'T SEEN IT...but that's a very, very, very narrow line to walk and if Chazelle hasn't walked it then not only does his film be 'flawed', but it is outright broken: which is the perception I took from the trailer.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

I haven’t seen it yet, but Babylon strikes me as something so ambitious and out there that it might take several viewings to fully appreciate what Chazelle has done. 

I get that plenty will watch a film once, form an opinion, and then that’s it. Set in stone. 

For others, and I’m sure there’s plenty of us on here, we might end up doing complete u-turns on movies as we watch them more and see things we didn’t contemplate or appreciate initially. 

I’m wondering what films some of you guys have done these u-turns on. Perhaps a film you loathed in cinemas that you now hold in a much higher regard? 

23 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I haven’t seen it yet, but Babylon strikes me as something so ambitious and out there that it might take several viewings to fully appreciate what Chazelle has done. 

I get that plenty will watch a film once, form an opinion, and then that’s it. Set in stone. 

For others, and I’m sure there’s plenty of us on here, we might end up doing complete u-turns on movies as we watch them more and see things we didn’t contemplate or appreciate initially. 

I’m wondering what films some of you guys have done these u-turns on. Perhaps a film you loathed in cinemas that you now hold in a much higher regard? 

I adored Superman 4 The Quest for Peace when I was a kid. I watched it again as an adult and I thought it was garbage. 

Wow that' really great, 14.8M then 

Maybe the runtime really make this into a weekend movie, not even the storm completely hurt it 

And while FRI was  3.4M behind R1, SAT is awfully close (just 0.5M lower), which means maybe A2 can get 26M Sunday like R1...

Maybe even a bit higher than R1, depending how much impact the storms had on FRI - SAT (i know it ended up with good numbers, but still it certainly have some impact) 

Anyway, next week is more and more promising since it's basically a 7 day weekend.

Edited by ThomasNicole