GOGODanca

3/3 - 3/5 Weekend Thread | Creed III gets the biggest franchise opening and MGM opening ever with 58.7M. #AintMan drops 61% for 12.5M. Jonathan Majors still getting paid fat stacks

I'm starting to wonder if C3's second weekend will exceed AM3's second weekend. It would need to drop in the 40%-45% range for that happen which seems very unlikely. Similarly, there's a chance C3 dom exceeds AM3 dom as it will need a multiplier of just under 4. Not an easy task but not an impossible one if WOM holds up.

8 hours ago, John Marston said:

It's moments like this where you can't help but get the impression that there's plenty of Hollywood execs who really do love wasting money they are destined to lose.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

Just to add some spice overnight…

1. Rocky

2. Creed

3. Creed III

4. Rocky II

5. Rocky IV

6. Rocky Balboa

7. Creed II

8. Rocky III

9. Rocky V

Rocky IV > All

• Like 3

I enjoyed Creed III thoroughly, which further solidifies my happiness at how well it's doing.

I know the first two movies were no slouches financially (though I remain surprised that the first one wasn't an even bigger word-of-mouth sensation, as I thought/hoped it might be after seeing it on its opening night in 2015), but that we're getting a third installment opening in an entirely different box office era and pulling down this much money feels impressive and encouraging.

• Like 5

Just got out of EEAAO at a near-full house in Culver. Caught it twice last spring, wanted to enjoy it one more time on the big screen before it’s award run wraps. About half the audience felt like they were catching it for the first time. This viewing solidified the film as genuinely my favorite film of all time. I already knew it was a masterpiece, but now I really can’t fathom another film as enjoyable, personally impactful, and technically sound.

• Heart 2
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's moments like this where you can't help but get the impression that there's plenty of Hollywood execs who really do love wasting money they are destined to lose.

It's not the most head-scratch worthy decision Hollywood has ever made though. With the success of Critical Role and The Adventure Zone, I can see why some execs thought the IP might break out like Sonic/Jumanji 2 on the big screen with a strong script (which I'm hearing the movie has).

It does seem like a wrong gamble as D&D is still very niche despite those former podcasts and their various adaptations gaining popularity. It probably has the stigma against nerd culture properties that superhero stories previously had and managed to shake off.

Maybe they should have just cast Tom Holland and Zendaya 😛 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

In fairness, people were doubting Transformers before it blew up. Paramount/Hasbro are/were hoping for a similar effect here, perhaps.

I’m fully on board with “D&D will actually put up a respectable gross but its budget is simply too high to not be a bomb” camp. I can honestly see a 100M total for it if it’s good.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's not the most head-scratch worthy decision Hollywood has ever made though. With the success of Critical Role and The Adventure Zone, I can see why some execs thought the IP might break out like Sonic/Jumanji 2 on the big screen with a strong script (which I'm hearing the movie has).

It does seem like a wrong gamble as D&D is still very niche despite those former podcasts and their various adaptations gaining popularity. It probably has the stigma against nerd culture properties that superhero stories previously had and managed to shake off.

Maybe they should have just cast Tom Holland and Zendaya 😛 

Um, I kinda disagree that superhero movies struggled.

Since day 1 they were a smash hit. Superman the Movie made over 1 billion.

The only weird part was how movie studios ignored Marvel superheroes until Blade/X-men sparked the pre-golden age of comic book movies.

1 hour ago, cookie said:

In fairness, people were doubting Transformers before it blew up. Paramount/Hasbro are/were hoping for a similar effect here, perhaps.

As someone who dreamt of a Transformers movie since I was 8, I knew the potential was there.

Plus under what conditions will a D&D movie cross a billion?

Optimus Prime is a different animal Basically Jurassic Park with transforming robots.

• Like 1

D&D always seemed like another Warcraft for me - though I had imagined a higher DOM take and a smaller OS one for it compared to Warcraft. I still think it's a 110-120 DOM + 280-290 OS property in a dog days of summer, August slot. But at the tail-end of a busy March, including another fantasy-skewing movie heavily promoting a dragon, like Shazam (even if that only opens to 30-40 million)? Ouch...

I guess the idea was to play in a fairly empty April, but rather than what it has ahead of it, the issue is it's gonna get completely lost due to the flurry before it, with multiple mid-level hits taking away focus, and then Mario immediately after.

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Michael B Jordan hasn’t had a hit since Creed 2 (including his straight to streaming films and TV episodes), so do you think he’ll do a Creed 4?

He needs another franchise ASAP.

I'm guessing he'll be in the running for the black Superman movie.

Depending on how Creed 3 ends there will most definitely be a Creed 4.

Just now, grey ghost said:

He needs another franchise ASAP.

I'm guessing he'll be in the running for the black Superman movie.

Depending on how Creed 3 ends there will most definitely be a Creed 4.

I think the black Superman movie was always pretty much nailed on for him - but I have a hard time seeing that movie actually happening within the next five years. They're clearly OK with multiple Batman projects at the same time, but I have a feeling they view Batman as the more resilient property, as it's already been through the "killed it, buried it, dug out the corpse, raped it, then set it alight, then resurrected it with black magic" treatment a few times. Think with Superman they're a bit more reluctant to have more than one for starters (hence no Cavill even in parallel universes stuff). And if they don't get that movie properly into production in the near future, I can't see anyone attached to it staying interested and it will all just fall apart. But maybe they'll surprise me...