interiorgatordecorator

Mar 24 - 26 weekend thread - John Wick ̶3̶ 4 opens - woke up to a 5.9 monday | Jonathan is in Majors trouble | Shazam 2 crushed the Ant |

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This has to the the biggest overindexing we've seen in quite some time. The Atom Tickets deal is the likely reason.

But it's the most "single ticket buyer who'd love a PLF deal movie" we've had in awhile.

Very few $5 PLF ticket deals til 2023 (2022 had almost no Atom deals worth noting, since they tended to just be $5 off a ticket, not $5 a ticket, and Covid kinda ruined 2020/2021).  Of those, we've had Plane (an original), Creed 3, and John Wick 4.  Of the 3, John WIck 4 was always the least able to pull in GA who hadn't watched 1-3, and least able to pull in extra tickets (for family and friends) that wouldn't have the $5 codes...and yet most likely to get interested "fan" folks on the fence to immediately buy tickets to get well-placed premium seats.

For the record, on the deals (for which we had no intention of watching any of the 3 prior to the deals), my boys wanted Plane, so we saw it.  We were on the fence with Creed 3, and ultimately did not, but thought about it that whole weekend.  We had no interest in John Wick 3, not a one, and will not see it.  

So, anecdotal example, but tween/teen boys here went for 1 of the 3 deals as a GA, thought about 1 as GA, and passed completely as GA.  That might be repeating...

Edit to Add: And on the tracking thread, I had mentioned my Atom theaters giving this movie the same space as they gave Scream 6...so there was always gonna be a cap on what Atom could bring, b/c JW3 didn't get MCU supers sets...they got regular, expected to do well, blockbuster ones...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Length limiting number of PLF shows a factor? Brutal that it’ll get bumped for D&D in mere days when it’s doing so well. That’s the harsh reality of PLF when there’s just not enough of them. Unless you’re Avatar and you just stay in them for two months with no competition. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Sad for Shazam as it’s a good movie. The discourse surrounding it and the DCEU, plus the films opening around it - proved all too much in the end. 

Shazam 2's situation reminds me of the unjust reception and fate of Arnie's 1993 movie Last Action Hero.