Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

54 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

... Isn't this quite literally what they've always done? A lot of high profile actors and directors have their independent production companies which they use to produce films that are then sold and distributed by studios. Only way this would work is if they take on distribution  as well, which might be feasible for movies, but not for TV shows which is the larger issue here. 

Agreed. I’m excited by this but all the guilds need to pay attention to it. The actors, directors and screenwriters better get paid here.

Just now, 21C said:

... Isn't this quite literally what they've always done? A lot of high profile actors and directors have their independent production companies which they use to produce films that are then sold and distributed by studios. Only way this would work is if they take on distribution  as well, which might be feasible for movies, but not for TV shows which is the larger issue here. 

I think - despite regardless how optimistic Mark sounds here - the idea that they would be able to film independently during the strike, waiting until after the strike is done to see if they’d release it theatrical or via a streaming platform. I guess.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DInky said:

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-abc-mcu-show

Maybe the Ms. Marvel writers and actors will see some residuals now that it's airing on ABC. probably not though.

Assuming this is both strike-caused schedule filler and to increase early awareness for The Marvels in the event it has to release without a press tour in less than four months if strike is still happening by October (hopefully not but who knows at this point).

1 hour ago, DInky said:

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-abc-mcu-show

Maybe the Ms. Marvel writers and actors will see some residuals now that it's airing on ABC. probably not though.

Welp, this is a move I didn't see coming, and... welp... I don't have anything positive to say about this, if we're being honest.

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Welp, this is a move I didn't see coming, and... welp... I don't have anything positive to say about this, if we're being honest.

What’s wrong with it? It’s promotion for an upcoming movie and extra content to air on their network due to a lack of new scripted content.

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

This is the point I was making a few pages back with YouTube.

Extremely difficult… but impossible?

Not close to impossible. Indie movies exist after all. But very difficult. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Who here wants AI regulations ASAP? Ok, so listen, here's my idea:

A Deepfake of Bob Iger giving a speech supporting the Unions.

There you go, now the executives are afraid of AI.

I can't wait for stock holders to realize everything Bob Iger and executives do can be replaced by AI. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m all for getting Ms. Marvel anymore exposure it can get. Impeccably cast and written show for what it is. Of course, whether or not this helps or hurts the residuals issue, I don’t know. 

It probably depends if Disney narrowly wrote contracts to only provide residuals for either "first run" or "D+ only" viewing or if they provided residuals for all viewings across all networks and media (even ones they do not own).  Knowing Disney and Iger, I'd lean the former...

• Like 3