Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

43 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Probably, but still, the optics of Instagram Stories. You don't have to share you went on social media; you can just... go and live in the moment.

Not sharing it yourself is worse. If someone sees you at a event and posts it on their social media pages the call out is much bigger

• Like 2

I do wonder if SAG and indeed the AMPTMP might look at what British Equity is doing with their negotiations with various broadcasters and PACT to see if they can give a blueprint for a deal. British Equity has said they are willing to strike but I suspect they won't given the relationship with PACT is a lot better and because the negotiations aren't  until next year, they can take a wait and see approach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I hope the AMPTP is happy will killing off the entire TV 2023-2024 season. Greed is killing off what little interest there was in tv.

Not just greed, also ego. They know they can't win this strike, but making a deal would basically be them surrendering. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So basically once WGA ends SAG is starting from zero, though it should be much smoother given how many similar concessions they would be making with the WGA

The residuals is the main thing that both guilds share (and to an extent AI). However, SAG-AFTRA had a multitude of workplace concerns and others related to the audition process that AMPTP refused to even consider during the first round of talks. So it won't be quick.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Can someone smarter than me explain why a company like WBD or Universal or any of the big studios wouldn't agree with terms separately to gain a bunch of goodwill and get a big leg up on the competition? 

Because, at the end of the day, they're in competition with one another. Someone steps on Netflix's toes, they'll retaliate. That's my guess...

12 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Can someone smarter than me explain why a company like WBD or Universal or any of the big studios wouldn't agree with terms separately to gain a bunch of goodwill and get a big leg up on the competition? 

Do they care about goodwill? Last year Zazlov was public enemy number one, but no one stopped watching WB shows or movies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Smaller ones can. Larger ones have a lot of of pressure and incentives to work together on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Maybe partly because the general public simply doesn’t care/know enough about all this for the studios to care enough about their own public perception with this. Though I imagine the casual public will still caring a whole lot more once we’re actually in the thick of barren tv/movie slates. If the strike is not resolved by then though, it’s really screwed. 

2 hours ago, Scubasteve716 said:

IMO the real answer is none of them are hurting enough to go on their own.  Also, something of a prisoner's dilemma at play for them as the unity of the AMPTP gives them clear bargaining power if they stay relatively united, even if some of them could get a deal done today on their own.

Also, if one of the major members of the AMPTP went rogue, would they be even allowed to stay in the AMPTP?  Have to look at not only future labor negotiations, but just Hollywood Business in general.

Mind, given that these are all cutthroat companies, if push came to shove/they felt it was "worth it", one of them might damn the torpedoes and deal with the fallout later.  But for now they're gonna ride it out in the hope of grinding the opposition through sheer asymmetrical power/money imbalance.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3