Eric is Anxious

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

56 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

If superhero fatigue has truly begun, what does Gunn's DC Universe look like in 2 years - box office wise? A case of too late to the party? 

The Batman did close to $800M in a limited 45-day release before heading to Max.  I would not rule out the major characters from doing big numbers.  The other stuff looks risky. 

7 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

The november battle sure has became more interesting now, I thought The Marvels would be the clear winner worldwide but if GOTG 3 goes under the first movie I'm not sure anymore (I already have the thought of Hunger Games making some fight domestic though). 

I think Hunger Games can definitely give the Marvel's a run for its money domestic. Overseas I think Dune can beat both. Overall I expect all three to be very close. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

The november battle sure has became more interesting now, I thought The Marvels would be the clear winner worldwide but if GOTG 3 goes under the first movie I'm not sure anymore (I already have the thought of Hunger Games making some fight domestic though). 

I think it will be like November 2016 where you had Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts, and Moana basically grossing in the same low-200s range. Then it'll be a fight between Trolls 2 and Wish on which film will gross the same as Trolls and which one will gross as Arrival. Should be a very exciting and fun month regardless what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Number for Guardians confirms 100% there is a bit of superhero fatigue going on 

No one can deny this anymore. That MCU 2024 slate is looking dismal now. If GOtG is doing 110 then Cap 4 is lucky to do 80m. Thunderbolts will do 65m. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Shrek 4 is ok but its nowhere near Shrek 2 and even Shrek 1. Obviously better than 3 but that's a very low bar.

Hot take but 4 is the worst. The third movie at least had some fun side characters while the fourth movie is literally nothing.

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

Hot take but 4 is the worst. The third movie at least had some fun side characters while the fourth movie is literally nothing.

I genuinely can't remember anything from 4 outside of the kid going "Do the roar!"

22 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

I saw Shrek 4 when I was little and I knew even then it was awful, like I wanted to leave that’s how bad I found it to be.

Then I had to see it again a day later because we had to kill time with my younger stepbrother. Wasn’t too thrilled about that.

24 minutes ago, I Am Eric said:

I think it's an ok film. The piper is fun and there's some nice things here and there, but overall it's just unremarkable. While I thought 3 was just flat out boring other than the attack on the castle I guess. But still 4 is a far cry from 1 and especially 2, just not even on the same planet as those.

Edited by JustLurking

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

No one can deny this anymore. That MCU 2024 slate is looking dismal now. If GOtG is doing 110 then Cap 4 is lucky to do 80m. Thunderbolts will do 65m. 

Wouldn't say that. This to can make 100m but now what has changed is that the MCU name won't cover them no more. They will have to succeed on they own without much boost from " it's the MCU" brand.

Phase 4 did the damage , so MCU has to build itself back again now. GOTG3 having a great reception is great but just like WF I expected this to be good . Trust Gunn and cruger. 

2024 is where the MCU now has to do some major  lifting . If both NWO and TB  both do 600-700m with good reception I would consider that a Good start.

The era when MCU brand would carry their films looks to be over at least for now.

And the writer's strike for a franchise like this poses a significant problem .

1. The Marvels: $500M

3. Hunger Games: $450M

3. Dune 2: $350M

I think Dune 2 will tank because now people know it’s not good. The first movie was the first movie. People don’t know what to expect, so they are willing to give it a chance. They jumped on it for the novelty of it all. The potential for a huge franchise starter, which did not happen. Not the second time me fears.

Edited by OceanBlvd
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3