Eric S'ennui

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

Beauty standards in India can go beyond Skin color though.

Someone with dark skin can be considered beautiful on basis of facial structure, eyes, nose and other things which i don't even know about and similarly someone with fair skin can be considered not good looking.

If you want more expertise you can contact local aunties who apparently come to marriages just to comment on bride and groom. You could be conventionally perfect looking and they'll find a fault in you., and at that time even being fair skinned won't save you.

Colorism is an issue, but at times this go deeper than that.

• Like 1

People should be able to debate the effect of Halle's race on the box office in the US or Asia, etc.

What is, however, utterly mind boggling is people raging that Ariel isn't white. Furious that a HALF FISH isn't white. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean this movie's failure will have industry and culture war implications far beyond the typical kids movie.

Nah it won't. In a month's time all will be forgotten and shit will move on as usual.

The only thing will change is that Disney will get the wrong lesson from this because it's classic Disney.

Side note to the demographic discussion, but that demo skew female / male means a lot of the prime movie going audience wasnt attending. Racism or not, thats a significant missed demo regardless of race. 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Side note to the demographic discussion, but that demo skew female / male means a lot of the prime movie going audience wasnt attending. Racism or not, thats a significant missed demo regardless of race. 

What was the split?

Just now, upriser7 said:

There is a reason why likes of Kajol and Bipasha Basu have lot of makeup in movies. Their complexion in movies is lot lot more fairer than outside movies and that's what mainly matters. Comeon dude..SRK might not be conventionally handsome but he isn't a dark skinned guy. RajniKanth is more of an exception and he is also not exactly a Bollywood hero, more of a Kollywood hero. Having dark skinned heroes itself is rare but having dark skinned heroines (on screen) is even more rarer.

Colorism is kinda rooted here....it's just how people's default mindset is here from childhood. They keep hearing from their family, relatives on how being fair skinned = beautiful, dark skinned = ugly. 

Colorism is different from Rasicm.

You can keep hearing from family that dark skin = Ugly but that won't stop you from playing with, talking with, being friends with people with different skin color or complexions.

You won't have children not being allowed to play cricket with the group because of Color of skin.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I mean this movie's failure will have industry and culture war implications far beyond the typical kids movie.

Then maybe... just maybe... they should just stop rehashing mediocre crap and start focusing on diverse AND original stories. I know they can do it, they have done it in the past multiple time and did really well. But Disney is a creatively bankrupt company right now... and soon to be bankrupt for real looking at their stock market value and Comcast forcing them buy Hulu for 9 billion dollars when they still have not recovered from the massive Fox purchase.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Colorism is kinda rooted here....it's just how people's default mindset is here from childhood. They keep hearing from their family, relatives on how being fair skinned = beautiful, dark skinned = ugly. 

The roots of the fair skinned/dark skinned thing in a lot of places (not everywhere) is class based rather than race based.  It's a discrimination against manual laborers (ie: the poor that are out working in the sun all day).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm a little surprised that people believe there's little connection between colorism, white supremacy, colonialism and anti-black sentiment. 

In many cases the four are directly related to each other.

Many times the origin of fair skin as a beauty standard isn't really connected to white surpremacy.

There are many cultures that have fair skin as a beauty standard before they have a strong interaction with "white people".

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm a little surprised that people believe there's little connection between colorism, white supremacy, colonialism and anti-black sentiment. 

In many cases the four are directly related to each other.

Colorism and white supremacy -yeah there is a connection.

Colonialism - anti black sentiment !!!

You do realize alot of parts of the world where under colonialism including the US itself.

Racial attrocities occurred and they happened to blacks, Asians, LATM

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cahramel said:

By the way, I feel like the Snow White movie might flop in LATAM. At least in my country the reactions haven't been good at all to the casting of Zegler.

I think it will do well in Latin America because Gal Gadot is very popular. Wonder Woman was a big hit in Mexico and Brazil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Here's the difference, European movies perform about the same in America as Asian films.

White lead films overperform in Asia all the time unlike TLM.

Sometimes preference and prejudice are somewhat related. Depending on the person.

Yes. If Americans just flat out didn't want to see films with Asians as lead actors they wouldn't have gone to see movies like Shang-Chi or Crazy Rich Asians and Everything Everywhere All At Once wouldn't have been the success it was. Americans just don't go to see foreign films of any kind. You can complain about that, and I agree it sucks, but it is nowhere comparable to talking about how other countries consume American made films. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1