Eric the Minion

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

So I just bought 3 tickets for TLM for 6pm showing in 3d. I did not even want 3d, the price for tickets in 3d even for children is outrageous. I spent 73 dollars on my tickets. I could not find hardly any showings that were not sold out here. I haven’t had this much trouble finding tickets since the avengers films which is crazy considering how low the box office for this is. I guess urban area is just coming out hard for the movie. I’m in Charlotte NC.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 3

GvK was terrible, but at least it knew that the human stuff was the biggest anchor dragging these movies down so they just cut that shit down to the bone. Weird to cast someone like Skarsgaard and give him absolutely nothing to work with, but until his recent work in Succession & Northman it kind of feels like that was the only kind of big project he was ever offered (see also: Battleship & Tarzan)

edit: just saw @grim22 said the same thing lol, but yeah it makes sense that Wingard would cut down whole backstories of characters after seeing how much of a disaster the human element wound up being in KOTM

Edited by TMP

Saw Mermaid last night. Honestly didn't really find anything special about it, but also didn't find much "wrong" with it either. The performances were fine, standouts probably McCarthy and Diggs. 

What has frustrated me about these remakes is that the added runtime doesn't expand the world or refine the storytelling, but rather just pads the runtime. Too many instances of bad writing in this that it was frustrating. That being said though, it was "serviceable" but nowhere near the live-action remake peaks of Jungle Book, Aladdin, BatB, Cinderella, Cruella imo.

• Like 1

Skull Island and Godzilla 2014 are great. Different ways of showing these monsters as forces of nature, and they look fantastic. 

GVK is fun, monster fights are great, Brian Tyree Henry is also great to watch. Like the Hollow Earth stuff too.

KOTM is one of the most disappointing movies I’ve seen in recent memory. Monster fights were the CGI equivalent of smashing action figures together. Ugly as hell movie. Also has Thomas Middleditch which immediately takes points away.

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Saw Mermaid last night. Honestly didn't really find anything special about it, but also didn't find much "wrong" with it either. The performances were fine, standouts probably McCarthy and Diggs. 

What has frustrated me about these remakes is that the added runtime doesn't expand the world or refine the storytelling, but rather just pads the runtime. Too many instances of bad writing in this that it was frustrating. That being said though, it was "serviceable" but nowhere near the live-action remake peaks of Jungle Book, Aladdin, BatB, Cinderella, Cruella imo.

Yep, the proof is in the pudding when the kids you brought are getting impatient by the time Ariel has gotten her legs. There’s no need for a movie like TLM to be longer than 1h45m, especially since the underwater world wasn’t explored much even. I think coming out after Avatar 2 was another issue. The Aquaman level underwater scenes won’t cut it after The Way of Water. 

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yeah, I saw it with the fiancé and my mum this afternoon. It's inoffensive but unnecessary, but they absolutely loved it. I won't begrudge them for it at all, the movie was made for them, not me. I'm pretty sure my unborn daughter loves it too, she kept on moving around whenever the songs came on, pretty sure I already have a Disney daughter 😅

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Here I thought this was a thread regarding this weekend, but I must have accidentally clicked on the Godzilla one.. Go take it to your own thread. What is this, Reddit?

Edited by rehpyc
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

Disney Animation was in a rut in the 2000s box office wise, but they still had Pixar doing the heavylifting for them.

Exactly my point. Pixar was the only real bright spot that decade, and they weren’t even owned by Disney for a good chunk of it. The company on the whole was struggling pretty hard compared to the 90s. Again, correlates with WDAS. And it goes back much further than that where it does as well. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Gaga as Ursula would have been massive with the LGBTQ+ community. Maybe even more so than Halle as Ariel with the black community. Ursula was literally based on a drag queen, so it is kinda surprising they didn’t go with an actress who’s a gay icon for it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Alice in Wonderland had Johnny Depp.

Maleficent had Angelina Jolie.

BATB had Emma Watson.

Aladdin had Will Smith.

The Little Mermaid has Melissa McCarthy

Not too sure if both of these would help anything these days lol

So was watching Aladdin, and say whatever about that movie or Disney Live Action Remakes in general, the scene where Aladdin as Prince Ali & Geenie first meet the Princes, King and others is so incredibly awkward and hilarious.

Peak Comedy.