baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

22 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Some of the MI7 expected audience (and probably Oppenheimer and even Indy, too) are those 45+ Caucasians that come out infrequently at best...they've all found their movie to see, and that will hurt all 3 movies...

We all wondered if the 3 movies would cannibalize each other for this audience, and now it may be the unknown movie cannibalizes all 3...

As someone mentioned, folks want something fresh, and SoF is an original movie...maybe not the "freshest" or most creative, but no one has done the "true" story of that agent before...

Ah I’m not talking about the people who go monthtly though. 

What I said is I think a huge chunk of Sound of Freedom’s audience haven’t been to the cinema in years. To see anything. 

But Sound of Freedom couldn’t increase on Tuesday due to the impact of MI, so maybe MI will hurt it more than expected. 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Again I'm saying this without passion or prejudice towards mission impossible. Why does an extra 2.5 million get you excited when that was done over a two-day period. The preview numbers are on par with Indiana jones. I don't know what that means at this point because it's opening up basically on a Monday night. I'm curious to see what the numbers are going to be like for Friday Saturday Sunday.

EA are limited screenings.

Batman and TGM  did 4m and those were big openings.

MI is still way more back loaded than Indy franchise and way leggier. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Er, folks... $7 million is a very good start.

Right, for a true Tuesday number...if it was $4.5M true Tuesday (and thus only $.5M over SoF true Tuesday) plus $2.5M EA shows for a $7M full Tuesday, that would have not been so good:).

See, now that we figured out $9.5M is actual "full" Tuesday, all of us are happy again and looking forward to some great numbers for today and the whole week:)...

I’m in work so frantically catching up. 

so disaster and then half hour later disaster averted??  it’s just Tuesday previews and not the other sneaks? Wtf are paramount doing just not bundling them into the Tuesday number!? 

so Charlie was right that it’s more like $8.5 million plus?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

EA are limited screenings.

Batman and TGM  did 4m and those were big openings.

MI is still way more back loaded than Indy franchise and way leggier. 

Well we will see. I don't know what the legs are going to be like on this because we don't know if people like it or not yet.

MI is seriously in good shape compared to Indy. Is it "500 mil grosser in US", most likely not, but this launch isn't comparable to Indy's.

I say this as a person who grew up loving Harrison Ford's Indy and hating most Tom Cruise roles, so please don't complain about my bias or whatever.

32 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Agreed. And announcing the Part two when you don't know how Part one makes reminds me how they announced the Dark Universe before the Mummy even opened. They are a little cocky and deserve a slap

They are cocky for greenlighting an 8th film before the 7th comes out in a franchise that's been consistent at the box office for like 20 years now?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

MI is seriously in good shape compared to Indy. Is it "500 mil grosser in US", most likely not, but this launch isn't comparable to Indy's.

I say this as a person who grew up loving Harrison Ford's Indy and hating most Tom Cruise roles, so please don't complain about my bias or whatever.

I know you just threw the 500 million number out there randomly but you do realize mission Impossible is never even broken 250 domestically. It should land hopefully in the 200-240 range which would be excellent.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It did have a good hook. It was the launch for the Kang story! It was a terrific marketing hook, the film just sucked and couldn't deliver and quickly got clowned on. It's like saying GINO 98 had "bad marketing" when that thing was clearly set up to blitz the summer it was released in. If the movie sucks, the marketing often won't save it.

Like I’ve said, once again… where am I opposing what you are saying? Do you really think that it would do so much better if it was a better film? Because I don’t know about that. I think that were the story of Quantumania actually needed to go - and the film sort of hints of going there - meaning killing Scott Lang off would be a downer. I don’t know how that film could be better. With Kang being the antagonist of the Multiverse Saga (I mean, at least until Doctor Doom shows up), I’d argue that the only solution would be killing the title character off. But would that please the public more? Or it’d be seen as a downer and too much for a ‘family film’? I do think the stakes were too low if that was supposed to set up Kang.

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m in work so frantically catching up. 

so disaster and then half hour later disaster averted??  it’s just Tuesday previews and not the other sneaks? Wtf are paramount doing just not bundling them into the Tuesday number!? 

so Charlie was right that it’s more like $8.5 million plus?

Maybe paramount wanted to give @Maggie hope then swiftly take it away😜.

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This is going to make less than Ant Man 3.  🤮 

Didn't all the MI films not named Fallout make less than Ant Man 3? Didn't Fallout barely make more than Ant Man 3? I assume you're strictly referring to DOM? I guess I don't really get what peoples expectations were here. I always thought something like 200M to 250M (largish window but still) DOM because that's what all the other somewhat recent MI films (Ghost, Rogue, Fallout) have done in admissions.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shawn said:

$2.5M less than TUE (5th day) of Fallout with T-mobile deal is def, not good.

Worst opening among Flash, Indy & MI in my eyes. Those two had things going against them, here literally everything is in movie's favour.

Edited by across the Jat verse
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 4

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I know you just threw the 500 million number out there randomly but you do realize mission Impossible is never even broken 250 domestically. It should land hopefully in the 200-240 range which would be excellent.

How much Indy made this Tuesday btw, do we have numbers for that yet?

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Would prefer 275 with its production budget, but yeah, it should be profitable theatrically, which clearly puts it in a different league from stuff like Fast X and Beasts, let alone Indy/Flash.

The only reason I threw out "500" was the fight with Zatt over GOTG3/Mario's release date. It wasn't meant as an insult to MI.

35 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Some of the MI7 expected audience (and probably Oppenheimer and even Indy, too) are those 45+ Caucasians that come out infrequently at best...they've all found their movie to see, and that will hurt all 3 movies...

We all wondered if the 3 movies would cannibalize each other for this audience, and now it may be the unknown movie cannibalizes all 3...

As someone mentioned, folks want something fresh, and SoF is an original movie...maybe not the "freshest" or most creative, but no one has done the "true" story of that agent before...

SoF is here to relieve BO market from the pain caused by Indy 5 and Flash, not to take away money from the next three BO juggernaut. July is the typical month where BO hit ~$1.2bn. By right there should have no problem allowing all MI7, Oppenheimer and Barbie to breakout. Come on, this is freaking NA, the biggest BO market in the world! Be bold and ask BIG!