Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

16 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

evidence please

at least wait for previews and od reception 

even if barbie does 175, it'd still need 3.2 legs to get there, which might not be that easy of a task

Yes but I think it’s blowing past 175. We shall see. 

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Literally no one has ever heard of Blue Beetle outside of the most niche of comic book nerds. It was completely doomed when it wasn’t part of peak era MCU that could maybe carry anything to success. 

That’s the issue and something that I feel like most people here don’t get it when it comes to Marvel Studios: yeh we know that Feige made a crazy concept like Guardians of the Galaxy with a talking tree and a talking raccoon into a juggernaut box office success. It’s wild, yes, but those were already beloved Marvel B characters with a cult following.

The most famous shit that Ant-Man has ever done in comics was controversial awful shit, and that wasn’t even Scott Lang, Hank Pym was famous because he was an wife beater and an awful husband to Janet Van Dyne, aka Wasp. Ant-Man’s longest comic book run wasn’t even featuring either Hank Pym or Scott Lang btw, it was a run from early ‘00s with Eric O’Grady, a big ass whole ‘who?’ even among the most hardcore comic book fans. 

I keep hearing shit like Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantumania has underperformed and I’m like WTF are you people talking about. If anything, Ant-Man has OVERPERFORMED in the opening weekend, but the Ant-Man franchise - which is very different than the MCU - has an obvious and understandable ceiling. Could it be bigger if the film was good? Sure. Could it be bigger than either Thor or Doctor Strange? Fuck no. Those are well established and beloved characters, with great following, they are popular. I mean, did you miss this meta joke in Avengers: Endgame?

Look, I love Paul Rudd as much as the next guy. I think he has done a terrific job as Ant-Man and the nerd in me is still amazed that an Ant-Man trilogy exists at all whatsoever, because while I could imagine every single franchise we got from the MCU happening, I can’t say the same about Ant-Man. He is at his very best an excellent supporting character. 

We keep this in circle conversations about how Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantumania underperformed, with the same people totally ok with whatever Mission: Impossible 7 Part 1 is doing which will be obviously less than that film. At very least Quantumania doesn’t have a part 2 waiting to happen, that would suck.

Let me break it down for you: the game has changed, it isn’t Marvel Studios that is underperforming. It’s everything else. Not all MCU film will turn out as Infinity Wars, Endgames and No Way Homes. The peaks and valleys for MCU films were always there, long before covid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

How can you watch the same movie six times in one weekend without being tired of it?

I usually have to let it rest at least a week before watching the movie again

Steve Rogers lifting Mjolnir was a borderline religious experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Mission Impossible is losing 6 theatres in its second weekend, -6. 

Don’t see that often. 

didnt know that was a thing that could happen

thought that was the reason Oppenheimer was only opening in 3.6k theaters 

My sister told me girls were crying After Barbie.

The movie is big with teens but also big with mature women (these 10-11 pm screening are packed too). 

It's more than Twilight and more than 50 shades. It's like Titanic. 500M domestic. If Ken dies 600M

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I might be the only one here but I'm looking forward to 'The Creator'.   We don't get many decently budgeted sci-fi movies anymore. I was surprised to see that the budget is reported at $86M.  It looks really good

I feel the same way. I saw the trailer for it a few weeks ago and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

A handful of movies I've seen 3x in theaters, and one of those I actually found the tickets when I was cleaning out some old stuff a couple months ago:

k9IR0nf.jpeg

Gone in 60 seconds, 3x back in the summer of 2000.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I might be the only one here but I'm looking forward to 'The Creator'.   We don't get many decently budgeted sci-fi movies anymore. I was surprised to see that the budget is reported at $86M.  It looks really good

Normally I would be interested in it but JDW makes me hesitate. He has the charisma of a cardboard box. This is coming from someone who liked Tenet.