Eric Quinn

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Could be wrong but I think it's The Blind Side opening @ 34mil against new moon which is looking to be around Opp's opening day anyway.

Oh true I forgot about The Blind Side. You would be right about that. 

43 minutes ago, Avatree said:

What is "woke" about Barbie? I would expect "woke" outrage about the Amy Schumer Barbie but the trailers for the actual Barbie look like exactly what anyone would expect from a Barbie movie

I would expect A/A+ for Barbie and B+/A- for Oppie.

12 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

It stars somebody with XX chormosomes. If it has a woman, it automatically makes it woke to conservative fuckwads.

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I feel like the Anti-Woke Warriors only care about casting. Eg casting a black person in a role that previously had a white person; doing gender swaps; or including transgender people. They arent actually bothered by the content of a film, whether the film has disagreeable politics etc because they're never going to watch the film anyway. They can only react to what they can see on the poster.

If it was Amy Schumer’s Barbie, it would have been woke because it would be Hollywood pushing a non-stereotypical Barbie and Fox News would spend hours comparing Schumer’s figure with an actual little Barbie doll and complain about why we couldn’t just get someone like Margot Robbie.  

They would have found a reason to call it woke no matter what.  

16 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I feel like the Anti-Woke Warriors only care about casting. Eg casting a black person in a role that previously had a white person; doing gender swaps; or including transgender people. They arent actually bothered by the content of a film, whether the film has disagreeable politics etc because they're never going to watch the film anyway. They can only react to what they can see on the poster.

They dont just that because did not the antiwoke movement began with anti feminism, anti woke is basically Reactionary Movement they just rebranded, First Militant Atheist of 2015, then those people aligned with religious ones on Antifeminism, Gamer Gate, then they used woke as a slur and rebranded. 

Reactionaries (on the sense of opposing social things like lgbt, and the like) basically. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Could be wrong but I think it's The Blind Side opening @ 34mil against new moon which is looking to be around Opp's opening day anyway.

New Moon also has highest OW without IMAX, which Barbie should blow past this weekend

Also Central Intelligence was a smidge higher, opening to $35.5M vs Finding Dory, but I'm not sure that's the highest

Edited by M37

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

The important number is -58%: that MI7's week/week drop on Thursday when losing PLFs and staring down Barbenheimer.  Also keep in mind Friday last week had ~$2M extra thrown in from EA shows, so the real value is ~$14.7M - $6.6M would be -55% from TFri, so its reasonable, maybe benefits from Oppy sell-outs as a second choice, but probably comes in a little lower by morning

Yeah  even  6 would lead to a 9.5 saturday and 6.5 at least sunday. 22 million for the weekend. Not great but what you going to do. UGH Paramount. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

The important number is -58%: that MI7's week/week drop on Thursday when losing PLFs and staring down Barbenheimer.  Also keep in mind Friday last week had ~$2M extra thrown in from EA shows, so the real value is ~$14.7M - $6.6M would be -55% from TFri, so its reasonable, maybe benefits from Oppy sell-outs as a second choice, but probably comes in a little lower by morning

Yeah  even  6 would lead to a 9.5 saturday and 6.5 at least sunday. 22 million for the weekend. Not great but what you going to do. UGH Paramount. 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

New Moon also has highest OW without IMAX, which Barbie should blow past this weekend

Also Central Intelligence was a smidge higher, opening to $35.5M vs Finding Dory, but I'm not sure that's the highest

Wow okay I was very wrong then. It's hard to find data about a record that niche, but regardless Opp breaks the record by a lot. Inside Out's 90M against Jurassic World is a record its aiming for and based off early numbers that's a good over/under bar for it at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Mission Impossible is not a summer franchise. It would do better in October-December. 

Just now, Fanboy said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Mission Impossible is not a summer franchise. It would do better in October-December. 

Despite the fact that 6 out of the 7 movies have opened in the summer movie season and only MI 3 did not do that great until now.  This one is just a victim of a studio really underestimating it's competition. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wait, does Barbie even have much of any 3D/PLF showings? I just realized how absolutely absurd that could make this opening if not. All of our all-timers were big big 3D/PLF movies. 

P2d0m7c.jpg

This is in the Dallas area. AMCs across the US and Canada have Barbie playing in plenty of PLFs. I don’t think it is in 3D anywhere but it doesn’t matter.

• Like 1

Saw Oppenheimer today (Barbie is tomorrow - Pink Saturday!). Excellent film - I agree with the people who compare it to Schindler's List and Malcolm X. It was cool to watch a film like that in theaters. Have to see the rest of the field this year, but I feel it should get a Best Pic nom at the minimum. Noms for Cillian Murphy and RDJ, too. Blunt was good, but she wasn't given much to work with - Kitty Oppenheimer was a lot more interesting and complex than she is in the film, but women don't seem to be Nolan's strong suit.  Still, Nolan actually made congressional hearings compelling stuff. It's a political thriller, and it's not subtle about certain things - but I didn't mind (some things don't need to be subtle). The last hour might be favorite. 

The audience: We had people of all ages. Definitely some girls doing the Barbieheimer double. Interestingly, the women in my theater were the most riveted/disciplined. Some of the older people kept going to the bathroom multiple times, and a few of the guys kept leaving and coming back (they seemed restless - maybe it wasn't what they expected?). 

Went with my dad, who also loved it. Will likely see it again with my friends (they initially only wanted to see Barbie, but now they've caught Barbieheimer fever, and said if I thought the movie was good, they'd go), although I also think my mom would like this.

This weekend is exciting. Hope Barbie will be 2/2.  

• Like 1

$47 & $23 are very good, but have to think capacity limitations are keeping a lid on those numbers 

Also, for reference: NHW’s TFri was just a hair below $72M, Infinity War $69M, TFA $62M (officially, but more like $65M) - that’s the range we’re in for Barbenheimer 

• Like 1