Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

155.00M BARBIE

80.50M OPPENHEIMER

19.50M MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING I

6.50M INSIDIOUS: THE RED DOOR

2.82M SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE

1.08M NO HARD FEELINGS

honestly, I’d be a slither more impressed with Oppenheimer if these numbers materialised. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Well to be honest, I don't think Will belongs in this discussion at all given that he gave us Bad Boys, Independence Day, Men in Black in the span of three years. I think he'd already proven himself to be a main draw even if he had some flops afterwards. Barbie is the first time Margot has been the main draw of a big blockbuster movie so I get why there is some skepticism around her, though I certainly wouldn't call her box office poison. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this, my point is that if she is box office poison, we should certainly call a lot of up and comers that bombed during covid well, box office poison. And yet I don’t see we really doing that. She was unproven as a full lead yes, but the films she was in that ‘bombed’ were all ensemble casts, with one of those being released day and date and covid was still an actual health crisis back in 2021. But I don’t want to derail the thread, this is about celebrating what this film is making after all..

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

The three highest grossing films of the year (so far) were all colorful in some form 

Mario 

Barbie 

ATSV 

Plus Minions last year, and the spectacle of Avatar, TGM, now Oppenheimer, plus the comfort food in MCU titles. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that coming out of a pandemic, audience are looking for some major escapism vibes 

Nothing screams escapism from the real world problems more than a 3 hour movie of scientists talking about nuclear annihilation.

Spoiler

I agree completely with what you say, but Oppy is just a funny example to me

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

6.70M INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY

5.80M ELEMENTAL

277.9M weekend so far

20.14M SOUND OF FREEDOM

0.266M THEATER CAMP

0.166M PAST LIVES

298.472M weekend so far

29 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I'm not even sure next avengers will open with 170M, just think a new Justice League. 

Who's even in the next Avengers. Does it even have any of the ones I know in Endgame.

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

The three highest grossing films of the year (so far) were all colorful in some form 

Mario 

Barbie 

ATSV 

Plus Minions last year, and the spectacle of Avatar, TGM, now Oppenheimer, plus the comfort food in MCU titles. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that coming out of a pandemic, audience are looking for some major escapism vibes 

And also far more critical from mass audience on the VFX quality. Hollywood's CGI has been an issue since before pandemic but there wasn't such magnitude of backlash before pandemic. Glad the audience finally voice out to demand a better quality of work and remember we use our eyes to see a movie. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Normally I'd remind everyone - myself included - how Batman Begins - while a certified blockbuster at $205M - was a slow but steady commercial burn that left people starving for a sequel.

But general audiences are now quite adept at the concept of reboots. Hence The Batman grosses a pretty-damn-great $370M coming off two very divise and commercially-rejected films headlined by "Batfleck."

Superman: Legacy needs to be good, plain and simple. Warner Bros are still the best in the business when it comes to marketing. If Gunn gives them a commercially-viable four-quad Superman movie that people have been wanting for years, they'll work their magic.

Time will tell. But me... I think this is the moment.

I wonder what might have been if Singer had decided to dive into the Superman Returns sequel instead of doing Valkyrie. WB weren't sure they went to make it but if Singer was willing to push forward instead of taking on Valkyrie, it would have been made due to a lack of other options. Superman Returns, while not liked as widely as Batman Begins, didn't start being completely disliked till it didn't get a sequel. At that moment, it began to be viewed as a failure. If there was a sequel, and it was good, with the rumored Brainiac and killing off the irritating kid plot, maybe it could have gone on for a good trilogy.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Genuinely F1 needs to bring back refueling, maybe the results won't change but the races and qualifying can be entertaining at least.

Nope. That's a terrible idea and won't happen. They need to become more sustainable. What they should do is to punish cheaters (here's looking at you Red Bull) properly. They should have received a more significant penalty for breaching the rules, which effectively gave them a world title. Any other sports when you caught cheating, there is no way you keep the title and don't get a significant reprimand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Anyone who claims Margot isn't the reason Barbie is so big is either trolling or not living reality lmao.

The entire selling point of the movie has been her from the very beginning. You arguably couldn't ask for a more perfect marriage between actor and character.

There's a difference between "this actor draws audience all the time" (eg. Leo) and "this actor draws audience only in a specific role". Margot in Barbie, Emma Watson in BatB and superhero actors are the latter category. What happened here is a perfect blend of actor and role. Amy Shumer wouldn't have this effect.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Nope. That's a terrible idea and won't happen. They need to become more sustainable. What they should do is to punish cheaters (here's looking at you Red Bull) properly. They should have received a more significant penalty for breaching the rules, which effectively gave them a world title. Any other sports when you caught cheating, there is no way you keep the title and don't get a significant reprimand.

Something grim, Chas and I agreed on during the race as well is that we need to get rid of the 5 and 10s time penalties. They rarely have any effect at this point. Bring back the drive throughs and stop go penalties. 

32 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think Oppenheimer is going for 300M+ DOM. Its WOM is great, its already selling out IMAX shows 2 weeks from now and it just rides on the zeitgeist right now.

Too late for Oppie over TLM Club but I hope it happens just for that TLM nutjob Josie something to have a meltdown. :hahaha:

Edited by Valonqar

13 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That is true, but also MI films don't usually face 240m new openers combined on their second weekend. Every market where MI7 kept IMAX and PLF had great holds. A big zeitgeist opening takes some prisoners and this time it happened to be MI7. DR2 will be fine and back to top form.

I know we all saying DR 2 will be fine. The only worry is people need to see Part 1 to care about 2. Paramount really needs to step it up and make sure people know when it  hits P+ and Amazon and VOD whatever and then market 2 and schedule it so that they don't just shrug and wait for it  to watch at home again.