Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

2 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

If The Marvels is tracking like this, and if Taylor Swift can't get a $100M+ opening, we might not get a $100M+ opening until Deadpool 3, unless there's something else that's coming out I'm forgetting. 

Hold on lets not lose hope yet...

Freddy Fazbear GIF

• Like 6

On 10/6/2023 at 8:34 AM, jeffthehat said:

Eras Malco Theaters T-7

Theater count - 24

Show count - 125

Seats sold - 6970

Total seats - 20734

% sold - 33.6%

New sales - 96 (+1.4%)

Weekly growth

T-34 to T-28: +376 (+7.7%)

T-27 to T-21: +240 (+4.5%)

T-20 to T-14: +576 (+10.1%)

T-13 to T-7: +712 (+11.4%)

Been pacing better here than elsewhere. But a bad day at this stage. Idk how disasterous pace is for OD because the comps are so bipolar. Would like to see better though. 

Eras Malco Theaters T-3 (4 days of sales)

Theater count - 24

Show count - 125

Seats sold - 7596 

Total seats - 20734

% sold - 36.6%

New sales - 626 (+9%)

Growing a lot slower than I thought it would at this stage. Don't think it's gonna hit 10k in sales here. A lot of folks called it, but surprised me to see how frontloaded this ended up being.

The comps are still confusing me. I'm guessing Denver/Minneapolis/Ok will finish upper 40s, while Orlando/Sacto/Alamo will finish high 20s/ low 30s. Normally I'd average them and say high 30s/ low 40s OD. But the more experienced guys seem to be saying low 30s, so that's probably where it's heading. I guess T-0 comps could be misleading too as other movies should get more walkups in the later shows. 

Edited by jeffthehat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

If The Marvels is tracking like this, and if Taylor Swift can't get a $100M+ opening, we might not get a $100M+ opening until Deadpool 3, unless there's something else that's coming out I'm forgetting. 

Timothee Chalamet Reaction GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland
longshot but why not 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

One of my Cinemarks FINALLY set...

PLF 14 has 4 screens for Captain Marvel, so in line with Marvel single hero releases (no reduction) - 2 PLF screens/2 Reg - 16 showings Fri. 20 Sat b/c of extended mornings.  

Non-PLF 12 has STILL not set - since the 2 operate in tandem, maybe this is another sign they are funneling early buyers to PLF/expensive seats b/c it can't offer PLF...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, tdangie said:

Hold on lets not lose hope yet...

Freddy Fazbear GIF

Of the 3, that would be my best bet at present. The weird way in which Universal is handing this release does give my pause though 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Spider-Verse sold less than GOTG and Ant-Man in the first hour and ended up having the highest OW of all three. Not saying Marvels is Spider-Verse, but one hour of data is nowhere near enough to draw conclusions from.

Watch them do it though

• Like 1

I really REALLY don’t want to add to any alarmist narrative, but across the 5 theaters I regularly track, Marvels has sold 0 tickets so far in 4 of them. Yea, you heard that right. And only 1 of these are what you could consider a “small” theater.

The big theater (SilverCity in Victoria) has only sold 10 tickets across the entire weekend. I don’t usually track presales data this far out, but I have a few data points to work from. At this theater, Shang Chi was at 39 after an hour, Dune was at 60. NTTD, which skews older and walkup heavy was at 19. Flash was at 26. 

EDIT: just realized that these numbers for the other movies are Thursday only, where Marvels has 6 (4 others for the rest of the weekend).

Not even going to bother with comps to No Way Home or Eras Tour, which were in the hundreds after an hour. But this is really really pathetic, and worries me about the box office for the remainder of the year. Marvel needs to do something with this film to get people interested, and they need to do it fast. Yes, I understand that presales can pick up, but this is a very worrying start for a movie that is part of such a presales heavy franchise. At this point, I’m almost certain that FNAF will open higher.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1