Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

7 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I'd bet Wicked doesn't translate so well OS. Think this is another Beetlejuice and Twisters with DOM 60-70%.

Not really. 

This is just one example, but I've read that more than 12 million people have experienced the original Broadway musical in London and is one of the most popular musicals of all-time in the West End. 

Beyond that, the musical has been toured all across the world for the past 20+years in places like Japan, Mexico, Germany, and Korea. It's a worldwide phenomenon and not exclusively domestically. 

I do think Wicked will do a bit better domestically, but it's doing a lot more than Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and Twisters overseas. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Not really. 

This is just one example, but I've read that more than 12 million people have experienced the original Broadway musical in London and is one of the most popular musicals of all-time in the West End. 

Beyond that, the musical has been toured all across the world for the past 20+years in places like Japan, Mexico, Germany, and Korea. It's a worldwide phenomenon and not exclusively domestically. 

I do think Wicked will do a bit better domestically, but it's doing a lot more than Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and Twisters overseas. 

Bigger than twister for sure. In most european markets will make less or similar to beetlejuice but then in the UK alone can make 50M😅

Devil's advocate, just to avoid hopes getting too high, that the pattern for a lot of event pictures for women have had huge pre-sales right at the start, only to do okay when it comes to the finish line walk-ups. So Wicked could come down to earth a bit and miss 100M. But I do think matching Oz the Great and Powerful is looking very, very likely, which is absolutely tremendous. So we should be good, yeah.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Eric the Clown said:

Devil's advocate, just to avoid hopes getting too high, that the pattern for a lot of event pictures for women have had huge pre-sales right at the start, only to do okay when it comes to the finish line walk-ups. So Wicked could come down to earth a bit and miss 100M. But I do think matching Oz the Great and Powerful is looking very, very likely, which is absolutely tremendous. So we should be good, yeah.

Popstars have an instant reach as no other kinda of entertainer. As I wrote some post ago ariana has more followers on Instagram than all main Marvel actors combined (and including Marvel studios account 🤣)

99% of actors and even studios can dream to reach thousands of millions with just a post in such an instantly way.

I'm now optimist this can really play very good but how much good we need to wait at least next couple of weeks. 

Edited by vale9001

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Popstars have an instant reach as no other kinda of entertainer. As I wrote some post ago ariana has more followers on Instagram than all main Marvel actors combined (and including Marvel studios account 🤣)

99% of actors and even studios can dream to reach thousands of millions with just a post in such an instantly way.

I'm now optimist this can really play very good but how much good we need to wait at least next couple of weeks. 

Not to derail the thread, but just because someone has millions and millions of followers, it doesn't automatically mean that will translate into ticket sales. 

Zendaya has about 182 million followers on Instagram and yet Challengers only opened to $15M

I know it's different in that Ariana Grande is a popstar and she has twice as many followers as Zendaya (376 million), but that isn't going to guarantee a massive opening weekend. Grande's popularity is absolutely a factor, but it's not the main one driving people to see Wicked. 

Question:  Cineverse is launching the Terrifier 3 previews with different viewing options.  At places like AMC, Cinemark and others the 5-6:30 showings are a double feature Terrifier 2 and Terrifier 3.  The later showings (majority of showings) are just Terrifier 3.  Then regal is going a “Classics” Terrifier 2 single ticket showings early 5-6:30ish and those are all separate tickets from the Terrifier 3 tickets.  No “Double feature” ticket like the others.  Are these all going to be reported separately for Box office purposes?  If so, the Terrifier 3 single ticket only Box office $$ for Previews may initially sound low if not added to the double feature value.

20 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Not to derail the thread, but just because someone has millions and millions of followers, it doesn't automatically mean that will translate into ticket sales. 

Zendaya has about 182 million followers on Instagram and yet Challengers only opened to $15M

I know it's different in that Ariana Grande is a popstar and she has twice as many followers as Zendaya (376 million), but that isn't going to guarantee a massive opening weekend. Grande's popularity is absolutely a factor, but it's not the main one driving people to see Wicked. 

As I said in different discussions about other movies i don't think popstars sell tickets like movie stars and of course i wasn't trying to zay Grande is a bigger movie star then Hugh jackman or Ryan reynolds.

(Btw i think Grande here works and it's perfectly casted)

What i meant is if there are for example 2M people potentially could buy a ticket because of Grande she reaches them instantly thanks to her social networks popularity and cause fan of pop stars follow them in a very direct way. So you sell these tickets very fast.

People potentially interested to a Hugh jackman movie because of Hugh Jacman are not reached in this way with a just a post or a link but you need more time and different ways. Then at that point probably he sells more tickets than grande, Just the timing Is different.

I kope is more clear.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The UK alone will stop Wicked from having a gigantic domestic %. It’s going to be huge here. 

Yeah I saw people here talking about how musicals don't do well overseas but Mama Mia, Bohemian Rhapsody and Mary Poppins Returns did better OS than domestic and Cynthia Erivo being British wont hurt!

Edited by joselowe

13 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Yeah I saw people here talking about how musicals don't do well overseas but Mama Mia, Bohemian Rhapsody and Mary Poppins Returns did better OS than domestic and Cynthia Erivo being British wont hurt!

Mamma mia is a juke box musicals with some of the most popular radio tunes ever. 

Bohemian the same. And I wouldn't call It a musical btw.

Mary Poppins is Mary Poppins and Disney. 

Anyways i can tell you in most culture including mine people don't like the purest kind of Broadway american musical. This mean when there is a loooot of music (like 3/4 of the movie is people singing) and when the music is part of the narrative and people sings about events etc..

part of this It's because reading 2 hours of subs of songs can became very boring. In Australia, uk etc..they play good too because they speak english too.

Anyways lately they are making more and more subtitled musicals also in the singing parts like Disney always has made (Wonka, dear Evan hensen). This helps a lot. Wonka would have had a way worst WOM upon the audience of families with subtitled songs cause It's very hard for not english children to follow them.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1