katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Not understanding how Box Office works. It's the summer  leading to big weekday numbers which deflates the weekend a little bit and yet here on a box office forum people either play or are dumb just to get all dramatic. 

I feel like the Friday number ending up in line with expectations (29m would normally be indicative of a 100m+ weekday) is what makes this whole situation pretty puzzling because that the Friday number had been 27m as early estimates predicted would be underwhelming but still within range of expectations. A 10% jump on Saturday, however, is frankly unprecedented to my knowledge

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:
  (1) Barbie Warner Bros. $29,000,000 +37% -59% 4,337 $6,687 $287,402,851 8
  (2) Oppenheimer Universal $13,400,000 +34% -59% 3,647 $3,674 $141,270,430 8

Honestly, it's astounding to me that Barbie ended up having a better increase than Oppenheimer, despite people saying that Oppy was bound to be more weekend-heavy. I guess it's pretty clear which movie is about to have the better legs...

Yes, I agree Barbie has better legs than Oppenheimer...😜

MEN46N4_t.JPG MEN46N6_t.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

• Founder / Operator
1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Disney did still release Haunted Mansion this weekend. The Marvels would have likely been hurt pretty badly as well but like you said there were other considerations in moving that one.

I actually feel Haunted Mansion is minimally impacted by Barbie, relative to Marvels. The former plays more strongly to families with only some crossover for Barbie's target female crowd (which would have steamrolled The Marvels had it stayed in July).

That said, I still think HM should have moved. Not because of Barbie, but because of Turtles and the fact that HM theoretically would play just as well or better with a September/early October release, ala Goosebumps or Miss Peregrine.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$2K+ PTA this weekend in nearly 6x as many theaters as it had last weekend where it earned a $5,500 PTA isn't bad. 

For a film playing in only 250 theaters, that is a bad number. It should have a PTA of 3x-4x that right now if it wants to expand as it is mostly playing in large cities and a few mid-sized cities. Any expansion plans for the film are likely being cancelled.

Silly of Disney to cannibalize Elemental when it was on a tear for a bomb like Haunted Mansion.

If TMNT takes off next week like I think it could, theaters will be dropping Pixar's latest like a hot potato.

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I actually feel Haunted Mansion is minimally impacted by Barbie, relative to Marvels. The former plays more strongly to families with only some crossover for Barbie's target female crowd (which would have steamrolled The Marvels had it stayed in July).

That said, I still think HM should have moved. Not because of Barbie, but because of Turtles and the fact that HM theoretically would play just as well or better with a September/early October release, ala Goosebumps or Miss Peregrine.

Disney probably knew it was a dud and decided to time it so that at least it'd serve as Halloween fodder for Disney+ this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marathon said:

Which rides will Disney turn into movies?

I feel like that new Tron movie (that was supposed to begin filming in a few weeks before the strike occurred) is banking just as much on being an advertisement for the new Magic Kingdom ride as it is on the franchise brand name. Like you know they're going to send Evan Peters there for a fun video of him surprising unsuspecting folks dressed up as a cast member around the time the movie comes out like they just did with some of the Haunted Mansion cast at Disney Land. Other than that, the only thing they've officially announced is Space Mountain, but that was a few years back and there hasn't been any movement since.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Films don't make high 200s these days. So worry not for destiny will drag Oppenheimer passed 300 one way or another 

Little Mermaid doesn't have a prayer of getting to $300 million. It is on the board right now and will be in the high 200's

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

the only thing they've officially announced is Space Mountain, but that was a few years back and there hasn't been any movement since.

They hired Max Landis to write a script for it many years back, and he talked about how he asked to ride the ride with the lights on for inspiration.

Let's hope they don't end up doing his script, cause he's a terrible writer.

4 minutes ago, G Doss said:

Little Mermaid doesn't have a prayer of getting to $300 million. It is on the board right now and will be in the high 200's

Disney will get it there. It's too close to not push it another 3M. Maybe expansions next weekend onwards or something.

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

They hired Max Landis to write a script for it many years back, and he talked about how he asked to ride the ride with the lights on for inspiration.

Let's hope they don't end up doing his script, cause he's a terrible writer.

i wouldn't let Max Landis ride anything. 

25 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Not understanding how Box Office works. It's the summer  leading to big weekday numbers which deflates the weekend a little bit and yet here on a box office forum people either play or are dumb just to get all dramatic. 

A 1% jump from Thursday is not good however you look at it