katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

29 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Yeah, Marvels is clearly going to flop financially. Look at all the MCU movies that have flopped. It’s reasonable to think the next four or five will flop. 
It’s going to lose more than 60% of its ticket sales without including inflation. 
It’s really obvious. 
Also, Alabama football is going to go 2-10 this year. 
(Y’all need to find different words that describe a middle result.)

The problem is Disney made terrible choices at the publishing arm of Marvel. It decided to revamp the main heroes to create possible movies once Downey and Evans moved on. There was no quality control, though. That applies to the editors as much as the creative teams.

Marvel Comics turns out nothing but turds and that is what the MCU has to work with. It isn't a classic story from 50 years ago, it's Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan.

Theatergoers are rejecting it just like comic readers did.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect because the international release is so staggered, it won't do great. In the UK, it's being released on the same day as The Equalizer 3. 

Well sound of freedom has a different kind of audience. And a word of mouth spreads in other countries like it has over here in Canada and the US, then it probably won't matter what films it's going up against.

9 minutes ago, G Doss said:

The problem is Disney made terrible choices at the publishing arm of Marvel. It decided to revamp the main heroes to create possible movies once Downey and Evans moved on. There was no quality control, though. That applies to the editors as much as the creative teams.

Marvel Comics turns out nothing but turds and that is what the MCU has to work with. It isn't a classic story from 50 years ago, it's Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan.

Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel is a very well received character in the comic book world, so not everything they are trying is a “turd”.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

Just for both of your information, while the staff are largely fine with my moderation style, they do not let me go on “power trips” and have called me out when they think I gave a warning unfairly. This included my moderation warning towards Zatt that both of you think I am too aggressive on.

Although, frankly, I don’t see how I was aggressive? I told Zatt to stop his condescending attitude and fighting against Deep Wang. I was quite stern about it, but I don’t think being stern is bad? Especially when you are a moderator? Plus, people were clearly growing tired of Zatt and his behavior towards people in this thread. In fact, people have found him a problematic user for months now. But, when I tell a user people have problems with to knock it off, folks here say I’m a bully and power hungry? I’m getting a ton of mixed signals here.

Baumer & Noctis are the last people who should be speaking, honestly.

So, I think you are better off ignoring them. Being open to criticism is fine, but, at some point, you will never convince people otherwise. So, it's best to move on. ❤️

• Like 3

Haunted Mansion was very aggressively mediocre, but the cast’s banter with each other throughout the film was what saved it.

Still don’t know what the heck Disney was thinking greenlighting that with a 160M budget though.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect because the international release is so staggered, it won't do great. In the UK, it's being released on the same day as The Equalizer 3. 

It's less about the date and more about the fact that the strategies that made it big in the US don't work to the same degree and the audience that made it big isn't as present outside the US.

• Like 1

How does Imax make money?

just upfront payments from the studios, charging theaters for the right to have an imax screen or do they else get a cut of box office gross (and if so what %?)?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

just upfront payments from the studios, or do they else get a cut of box office gross (and if so what %?)?

They sell the theater system. Projector, sound, etc. They are not cheap I can tell you that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Haunted Mansion was very aggressively mediocre, but the cast’s banter with each other throughout the film was what saved it.

Still don’t know what the heck Disney was thinking greenlighting that with a 160M budget though.

It seems unlikely they did. There are no stars in the cast, and there's no way the effects cost that much. It's another movie whose budget can be attributed to how long it was development. They'd been working on it since 2010. A large part of that 160M are sunk costs from the years of development.

10 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

just upfront payments from the studios, charging theaters for the right to have an imax screen or do they else get a cut of box office gross (and if so what %?)?

I would think they get a percentage of box office from IMAX screenings. My guess is 25% royalty, which is the standard royalty in the oil business. Drill an oil well on someone's mineral rights, and that person gets 25% of the oil revenue. Similar deal here for the IMAX company on box office from IMAX shows. 

1 hour ago, G Doss said:

Rejecting what???

What is going on with people

• Like 2

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Day and Date The Best said:

It did well but it did Underperfom for the Caliber that is expected from record breaker James Cameron, and Pandemic affecting things fall under Underperformance. 

This is a ridiculous stance to take.

• Like 1