katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

4 hours ago, across the Jat verse said:

Disney carried the box office in last half of last decade. MCU has gone bad, Live Action remake well is almost dry, Pixar hasn't been really a force with non sequel since Inside Out, same for WDAS.

We need and will probably see more surprises like TGM, Barbies and Oppies in coming years.

Just to put some numbers here ...

From 2015-2019, there were 21 films released that grossed at least $400M domestic

Disney was responsible for 17 of them:

• 7 - LA/Pixar/WDAS
  • 6 - MCU
  • 4 - Star Wars
  • 2 - Jurassic World
  • 2 - Other (Wonder Woman, Jumanji WTJ)

Post-pandemic, there have been (or will be soon) 7, with Disney only releasing BWPF & Strange MoM, Avatar 2 (bought from Fox), and I suppose half credit for NWH in MCU. The other 3 were all (at least at the time) one-offs, in TGM, Mario and soon to be Barbie

• Like 2

20 hours ago, G Doss said:

Little Mermaid doesn't have a prayer of getting to $300 million. It is on the board right now and will be in the high 200's

20 hours ago, grim22 said:

Disney will get it there. It's too close to not push it another 3M. Maybe expansions next weekend onwards or something.

Just take 3 million from Haunted Mansion over time. Nobody will notice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Despicable Me 4 doing that much feels very optimistic, but maybe nostalgia for the family aspect will start kicking in now

Perhaps but it feels like that franchise as well as Kung Fu Panda have grown a lot (online at least) since their last release. 

Just now, XXR Dar-Benn said:

Perhaps but it feels like that franchise as well as Kung Fu Panda have grown a lot (online at least) since their last release. 

I can't really tell how much of that is organic, and how much of it was the Gentleminons meme

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

This is everything I think makes over $150M next year as long as nothing moves. I'm not expecting a $600M+ finisher....

Deadpool 3 = $525M

Despicable Me 4 = $460M

Mufasa = $350M

Kung Fu Panda 4  = $330M

Those are some incredibly optimistic numbers.

• Like 1

Just now, KGPatt2 said:

Those are some incredibly optimistic numbers.

I don't think Deadpool is that optimistic. The DP x Wolvy hype has been nearly on par with NWH.

DM4 and KPF4 are optimistic, but I think those brands have improved a lot in the last 5 years (at least online). Whether that translates to BO we will find out. 

A lot of people are down on Mufasa but I think people are underestimating the power of the character + I expect Barry Jenkins to put out a good film. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

I don't think Deadpool is that optimistic. The DP x Wolvy hype has been nearly on par with NWH.

DM4 and KPF4 are optimistic, but I think those brands have improved a lot in the last 5 years (at least online). Whether that translates to BO we will find out. 

A lot of people are down on Mufasa but I think people are underestimating the power of the character + I expect Barry Jenkins to put out a good film. 

I have stated ever since NWH: When there is nothing big being hyped up at the box office, there will always be a film to step up and fill that role (TGM, Barbie)

2024 preicts

1. Joker 2: $1.1B

2. Wicked: 900M

3. DM4: $850M

4. GVK: $750M

5. Deadpool 3: $750M

6. Inside Out 2: $750M

7. Dead Reckoning 2: $700M

8. Kung Fu Panda 4: $650M

9. Gladiator 2: $600M

10. IF: $500M

11. Mickey-17: $500M

Last 3 are complete wildcards. 

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

The Joker 2 is gonna clear $400m. Lady Gaga as Harley is one of the best castings for a blockbuster in quite a while.

One could say it’s the best blockbuster casting since…. Barbie?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

2024 preicts

I see GVK, KFP4 flop.

14 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

2024 preicts

Too low on Deadpool and Inside Out, too high on GvK.

Captain America 4 will likely get to $700M+.