katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2 minutes ago, Dephira said:

A new IP. 

Not like anyone saw the success of Frozen, Iron Man or Zootopia coming. They can literally just live on park profits and eventually one of their creative teams will hit a new home run  

Not when they’re being stifled to not be able to be creative and have new ips they can’t. Creatives can’t greenlight anything. Also parks are in big doo doo atm too, but that’s an easy fix with pricing adjustments that don’t pretend like we’re in 2063’s inflation. 

Disney doesn't get "outsized attention", they just make more blockbusters than other studios. Look at this summer, GOTG3, TLM, Elemental, Indy 5, Haunted Mansion all coming out in a two and a half month span.

Compare that to Sony's summer schedule, which is just ATSV and Gran Turismo. Paramount only has TF, MI7, and TMNT. Uni only has Fast X and Oppy.

There is no outsized attention on Disney, that's simply not true at all. There is simply no factual evidence indicating that that is true at all.

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

July 2023 is the 4th biggest on record.

2011 / $1,394,775,988

2016 / $1,370,974,883

2013 / $1,370,146,592

2023 / $1,328,307,658

2012 / $1,318,901,261

today isn’t over yet. Does this include Monday’s numbers??

Disney will adapt one way or another. I don't think they're yet at a point where they must rely on new IPs, but they do have to be more selective about the kind they greenlight. Much of the slate this year was initiated under Chapek's watch and obviously that's already been addressed. 

It does seem like the original IP they do have on their 2023 schedule will come out saving face the most though. There's definitely reason to be optimistic about their animated slate now with Elemental's comeback. 

Edited by AniNate

18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Mission Impossible was scheduled for September 2022. Should have moved it to September 2023. Even August 18 would have been much better than the July mistake.

This would be hindsight but given the strike, not having Tom Cruise to promote your film in the home stretch would also tank your film

19 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Disney doesn't get "outsized attention", they just make more blockbusters than other studios. Look at this summer, GOTG3, TLM, Elemental, Indy 5, Haunted Mansion all coming out in a two and a half month span.

Compare that to Sony's summer schedule, which is just ATSV and Gran Turismo. Paramount only has TF, MI7, and TMNT. Uni only has Fast X and Oppy.

There is no outsized attention on Disney, that's simply not true at all. There is simply no factual evidence indicating that that is true at all.

Universal has more than two films, they released Ruby Gillman and they have Strays and The Last Voyager of the Demeter in August. Sony also released No Hard Feelings and Insidious. 

just realized one record oppenheimer is probably going to smash in the next couple of weeks is highest-grossing film never to reach #1 – sing currently holds the record at $270m and that's basically locked for oppy at this point. i also don't see a way how it claws to #1 during its run with barbie pulling similar drops and double the grosses

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Mission Impossible gets piled on but yet in many markets, it's doing franchise best numbers. The budget was high but couldn't be helped. Paramount is likely proud of it and going forward with the next film with little to no interference. 

MI7 is already 1.5x its production budget in WW BO and climbing ($446M on $295M), so it can't be lumped with the big 3 right now...Indy 1.1x ($355M on $300M), Flash 1.21x ($268M on $220M) or now Haunted Mansion with its $157M budget and a need to find some INT legs pronto...

Edit to Add: I should add Shazam 2 is still in the running for this list, too, making only 1.05x its production budget ($132M on $125M budget) - but it's a little smaller than the 3, so it tends to get forgotten...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Disney will adapt one way or another. I don't think they're yet at a point where they must rely on new IPs, but they do have to be more selective about the kind they greenlight. Much of the slate this year was initiated under Chapek's watch and obviously that's already been addressed. 

It does seem like the original IP they do have on their 2023 schedule will come out saving face the most though. There's definitely reason to be optimistic about their animated slate now with Elemental's comeback. 

I don't know how true this is, but I was listening to Joe Pera's podcast, which is a comedy podcast and not at all one that I thought would give me Pixar information, but he had an interview with Peter Sohn and said the film was in production for 7 years.

COVID really affected the animation pipeline, too, so it'll be a long while until we get a Disney or Pixar animated movie unaffected by COVID.

40 minutes ago, MrPink said:

This would be hindsight but given the strike, not having Tom Cruise to promote your film in the home stretch would also tank your film

Would be interesting to see if Cruise would still promote despite the strike, as a producer instead of star. He wanted promotions to go on even now.

@MrPink

Just found out the Richmond Palladium is re-opening as Cinemark Longmeadow, effective tomorrow. That was one hell of a fast turnaround from Regal shutting it down on July 26th to Cinemark re-opening it this week. That's great news for people who enjoy the IMAX & PLF screens, bowling alley, and so forth at the place. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't know how true this is, but I was listening to Joe Pera's podcast, which is a comedy podcast and not at all one that I thought would give me Pixar information, but he had an interview with Peter Sohn and said the film was in production for 7 years.

COVID really affected the animation pipeline, too, so it'll be a long while until we get a Disney or Pixar animated movie unaffected by COVID.

Yeah that's been the consistent number throughout the promotion, apparently he started soon after finishing Good Dinosaur. 

Honestly though the Elemental budget was the same as Toy Story 4's, I don't know if it really was all that affected by covid. Presumably it was a wash because everyone working from home saved on overhead and travel costs, and there wasn't as much money necessary to be spent on stuff like on-set protocols. If Elemental had in fact bombed I do feel that may have resulted in a significant exec intervention regarding their assets and creative autonomy, but fortunately it appears they will avoid that for now. 

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

@MrPink

Just found out the Richmond Palladium is re-opening as Cinemark Longmeadow, effective tomorrow. That was one hell of a fast turnaround from Regal shutting it down on July 26th to Cinemark re-opening it this week. That's great news for people who enjoy the IMAX & PLF screens, bowling alley, and so forth at the place. 

In my area (Orange County, CA) the local Regal was closed but will soon reopen within the next couple weeks under Cinemark. Maybe Cinemark is gobbling up some of the shuttered Regal/Edwards locations. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vinny2487 said:

In my area (Orange County, CA) the local Regal was closed but will soon reopen within the next couple weeks under Cinemark. Maybe Cinemark is gobbling up some of the shuttered Regal/Edwards locations. 

I hope this happens with a good percentage of Regal's closing theaters. Keep the options available for customers instead of shutting down permanently and ending up with empty buildings. 

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

July 2023 is the 4th biggest on record.

2011 / $1,394,775,988

2016 / $1,370,974,883

2013 / $1,370,146,592

2023 / $1,328,307,658

2012 / $1,318,901,261

Not just fourth biggest July, but fourth biggest month ever.

• Like 1

I'd separate the issues Disney is having with their animation and their live action films.

Animation wise for Disney I still believe it's more an issue of the changing market post-Covid & Disney+ and less a quality issue. Elemental is a good first step back and I do think Wish can be a solid hit in the Tangled and Moana range.