Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

42 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

it doesnt matter if this people will watch this movie for the first time or not. there wasnt movie with 100mln opening released in july with with legs as barbie needs to reach 630.

There wasn't a movie with 100mln opening released in July that had a sub-50% second weekend hold and reached 400m in 14 days, and then Barbie did both quite easily.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

it doesnt matter if this people will watch this movie for the first time or not. there wasnt movie with 100mln opening released in july with with legs as barbie needs to reach 630.

There wasn't also movies in july with record breaking Summer weekdays. 

21 minutes ago, TMP said:

Still profoundly confused by how disney had any faith in haunted mansion

I buy the theory that they want it on Disney+ in time for Halloween so released it in theaters now. Beyond that, I think it's just them still chasing that Pirates high from 20 years ago at this point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I buy the theory that they want it on Disney+ in time for Halloween so released it in theaters now. Beyond that, I think it's just them still chasing that Pirates high from 20 years ago at this point.

They should do something around Expedition Everest, there's probably a pretty good blockbuster you could do involving a yeti 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The thing is a Pirate adventure always seemed like a very intriguing concept that Hollywood hadn't cracked for decades and barely tried to do after a few high profile disasters.

Horror comedies have been done succesfully many times but most of the times from Ghostbusters and Gremlins to Scary Movie and Zombieland are leaning nastier/R-rated. They should have said fuck them kids and give it to Del Toro a decade ago when he wanted to do it.

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Another? It hasn't had a sub 40s drop yet. 

Also, 650 is definitely not locked. Lol 

Going out to see TMNT now. ✌

third weekend jurassic world 54.5M

third weekend barbie: 54M

second week weekdays jurassic world 43M

second week weekdays barbie 55M

third week weekdays jurassic world 27M

third week weekdays barbie: after 55M this week way more  than that, trust me 🤣

it's absolutely still in thhe territory of JW, making the difference lower and lower.

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

Um …

dc comics joker GIF

But all Barbie needs is drop ~40% weekly to reach that total. That’s well within range of standard for these big blockbusters with good WOM

31 minutes ago, M37 said:

Um …

dc comics joker GIF

But all Barbie needs is drop ~40% weekly to reach that total. That’s well within range of standard for these big blockbusters with good WOM

Dark Knight only gets it to 550, which considering Barbie will be at around 465-470 after a near 60mil 3rd weekend...... I think it'll get a bit further. 

It would be shocking to me for Barbie to miss 650 now. It has a ton of weekends coming up with basically zero notable comp. I think the holds are going to be borderline TGM on some comparable weekends. Unless Blue Beetle shocks everyone to break out (lol, I couldn’t keep a straight face even typing it). Definitely setting my sights on 700+, even in difficulty. Which means I’m also hoping for 325+ for Opp. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I, too, dont ever expect huge sharks to have many scenes in my huge shark movie.

It is like if they saw DOMINION and thought "a Jurassic World about locusts?! This is exactly what we need, a MEG movie about mining the trench!".

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I am pretty certain they prioritized the Disney+ release in October and that is 100% why they released it in theaters now.

Just now, CJohn said:

It is like if they saw DOMINION and thought "a Jurassic park about locusts?! This is exactly what we need, a MEG movie about mining the trench!".

In my completely unbiased opinion though, Dominion did its premise/story better, i.e. atleast you had dinosaur scenes pretty much right from the start. Also, you had Jeff Goldblum not giving a single shit about his lines the whole time.

For over 60 minutes in Meg 2, you have NOTHING ☹️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

There wasn't also movies in july with record breaking Summer weekdays. 

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

There wasn't a movie with 100mln opening released in July that had a sub-50% second weekend hold and reached 400m in 14 days, and then Barbie did both quite easily.

yes it will make more than 630 if it will continue to break records, in my opinion expecting that something will continue breaking records is optimistic, and in your opinion realistic.

41 minutes ago, M37 said:

Um …

you are 100 percent right if it will have weekly drops around 40 percent it will be very close to 630, but last 5 days barbie was slightly worse than 40 percent, if it will have weekly drops around 42 percent it will finish with 610 mln. 

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It would be shocking to me for Barbie to miss 650 now. 

Don't worry, it's just one poster here who was hoping Barbie would miss 600M but since that ain't gonna happen, she is now hoping Barbie will miss 650M. Goalpost shifting if there was ever one. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

Meg 2 was one of the worst big budget movies I've ever seen. It felt like a Scary movie version of it at times but not funny. The black comic relief was horrid, the excessive slo mo was ridiculous, and ya, there was just so little Meg action.

The only upside is that I saw it in 4dx, but the chairs broke, and I was able to leave without needing an ambulance cause goddamn that shit was over the top. I guess it needed to be to simulate the excitement the movie couldn't muster on its own.

If they make a M3G, they should just do it all in Chinese and spare western markets the pain.

• Haha 2